BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Yellow Power Ranger
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is some interesting stuff I got from a Ferrari Forum that I visit. I will quote peoples posts on there.

"The only Ferrari motorcycle ever built (see pic). It's the Ferrari 900cc four-cylinder dohc motorcycle built by Kay Engineering with full written sanction from the Ferrari company as a tribute to Enzo Ferrari. Five years in the making, this unique one-off engineering masterpiece is totally unused. Engine casings are all cast magnesium, with cam-covers featuring the unmistakable prancing horse symbol cast into the end caps. The bodywork is made entirely of hand-beaten aluminium finished in Ferrari racing red. This machine will be displayed on the Phil Cotton's Motorcycles stand - and offered for sale at a non-negotiable price of £250,000."

actually its not the only Ferrari motorcycle ever built.

"In the 50's there was a company that made "Ferrari" motorcycles. They were the Ferrari Bros. Motorcycle Company. No relation to Enzo. But the brothers were indeed named Ferrari. Ferrari (the car co. ) sued over use of the name. It took several years to settle the lawsuit, and the cost of the legal battle put the motocycle co. under."

"This F4 was one of only two,made in 2000 to celebrate ferrari winning the f1 championship.
Ferraris MD Luciano Guerri asked his friend and MV F4 Guru Massimo Tambarini to make two F4s in ferrari F1 livery. One went to Luciano and one went to Shuey. The bikes are all carbon fiber and have the SPR engine in along with the R33 exhaust. So this to is an official ferrari bike. Ervine got the very first "ORO" edition F4.
Worth noting is that ferrari designed the MV Agusta cylinder head and the 4 tail pipes of the F4 were done so after an F40s exhaust system was striped and studied."

Some interesting stuff. Anyone else have any info/pics regarding the Ferrari bikes. I also know there was a one off Lamborghini motorbike made. I had pics of it, I'll look for them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Furious Fiero said:
If they made a real, new Ferrari motorbike equivelent to Ducati, MV Magusta...I think that would be cool!
Yeah...I think it'd be cool to see another brand of high-end Italian bike too.

I'm not sure if the effects that would have on mid-life-crisis'ers would be good or bad though.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I'd love to see Ferrari make a bike for the masses. :thumbup

·
BADUNKADUNK
1,408 Posts
They may run great, but talk about a pair of fugly bikes.

F

·
0 Posts
Furious Fiero said:
If they made a real, new Ferrari motorbike equivelent to Ducati, MV Magusta...I think that would be cool!

hahahahhah why so it can get laughed at too ?

duc and mv are both slow ,,pretty ..but slow .If you compare a mv or duc to a gsxr 1000 ,you can buy 2 gsxr's and they slaughter them both for waay less loot .PLease ,if ferrari builds a bike ,make em build a fast one .

it can be expensive ,,thats not a big deal ,,but at least fast

·
Yellow Power Ranger
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
borderline said:
hahahahhah why so it can get laughed at too ?

duc and mv are both slow ,,pretty ..but slow .If you compare a mv or duc to a gsxr 1000 ,you can buy 2 gsxr's and they slaughter them both for waay less loot .PLease ,if ferrari builds a bike ,make em build a fast one .

it can be expensive ,,thats not a big deal ,,but at least fast

Speed is not everything. Ferrari makes some amazing cars, but they arent the fastest. Ferrari is about quality, prestige, exclusivity. Same goes with the Ducs and MVs.

In the summer time you see Gixxer 1000s on a daily basis, not Ducatis or MVs. They are a lot more exotic and different. I like that.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Come on now........let's at least be HONEST with each other !

#1 Speed is indeed EVERYTHING ! I can't remember the last time I said I want a bike that handles like a razor blade on a freshly skinned beaver, and I don't care if it tops out a 120 mph and cost me 3 times what a 1000 cc jap bike cost ?

A bikes handling can be worked on as can horse power, It's just a matter of what one you want to work on ? Fork's, shock custom tripple tree( to tame the beast) can be a far cry from doing a motor job looking for 170 rwhp on a RC-51. That said, the Jap bike mfg seem to be right there in the ball park , or not to far off when they make a Sport Bike.

Granted, Ducati & MV agusta and Bimoto all make Drool factor bikes, BUT who can afford them , and if you can afford them, can you afford to ride em like ya stole em (like most gsx-r,R 1's R 6's are ridden) and if you are one of those fortunate ones that can #1 ride competatively #2 afford the bike in the first place Who are you ? I'll tell ya who you are ?
you are about.0025% of the bike buying population , and you don't really want to waste you $$$$ on some POS bike that everyone and their brother is gunna want to slay on a track day or out for a well paced ride. Personally I ALWAYS look for the guy with the 998 or 999 on a track , and after passing him , I always think to myself, should a spent the money on riding lessons rather than thay full termingoni titainum full system with the 24 carrot gold ring thingy's on the end ? Hey.....but thats just me !

·
Yellow Power Ranger
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BF said:
Come on now........let's at least be HONEST with each other !

#1 Speed is indeed EVERYTHING ! I can't remember the last time I said I want a bike that handles like a razor blade on a freshly skinned beaver, and I don't care if it tops out a 120 mph and cost me 3 times what a 1000 cc jap bike cost ?

A bikes handling can be worked on as can horse power, It's just a matter of what one you want to work on ? Fork's, shock custom tripple tree( to tame the beast) can be a far cry from doing a motor job looking for 170 rwhp on a RC-51. That said, the Jap bike mfg seem to be right there in the ball park , or not to far off when they make a Sport Bike.

Granted, Ducati & MV agusta and Bimoto all make Drool factor bikes, BUT who can afford them , and if you can afford them, can you afford to ride em like ya stole em (like most gsx-r,R 1's R 6's are ridden) and if you are one of those fortunate ones that can #1 ride competatively #2 afford the bike in the first place Who are you ? I'll tell ya who you are ?
you are about.0025% of the bike buying population , and you don't really want to waste you $$$$ on some POS bike that everyone and their brother is gunna want to slay on a track day or out for a well paced ride. Personally I ALWAYS look for the guy with the 998 or 999 on a track , and after passing him , I always think to myself, should a spent the money on riding lessons rather than thay full termingoni titainum full system with the 24 carrot gold ring thingy's on the end ? Hey.....but thats just me !

Speak for some others, but not me. If I had $15,000 to spend on a bike...I wouldnt buy a new R1 or Gixxxer, I would buy a used Ducati 996 or 998. Yes they are slower, but really...they arent that much slower. I have a 600cc bike and it is fast enough for me...I dont want anything too extreme. I would still buy a Ducati.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Not wanting to burst your bubble, but AFTER you have owned one ? all the hype is over and you just want to get into something FAST and TROUBLE FREE. Valve changes at 5000 miles Gimme a break ? Who they think they are ? Don't get me completly wrong , I could wax most people on 1000 on my old Monster with 75 rwhp (in the twisty stuff) the thing handled FLAWLESS but add 1 straightaway ......and I was riding by myself :surrender

·
Yellow Power Ranger
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BF said:
Not wanting to burst your bubble, but AFTER you have owned one ? all the hype is over and you just want to get into something FAST and TROUBLE FREE. Valve changes at 5000 miles Gimme a break ? Who they think they are ? Don't get me completly wrong , I could wax most people on 1000 on my old Monster with 75 rwhp (in the twisty stuff) the thing handled FLAWLESS but add 1 straightaway ......and I was riding by myself :surrender

Haha. I have always had a love for Ducatis...and my mind will probably never change. Someday when I finally will own one, Im sure I will have mixed opinions on them. For now, they are still one of the most beautiful bikes around!

·
Mortgage Pimp
9,195 Posts
Furious Fiero said:
Speed is not everything. Ferrari makes some amazing cars, but they arent the fastest. Ferrari is about quality, prestige, exclusivity. Same goes with the Ducs and MVs.

In the summer time you see Gixxer 1000s on a daily basis, not Ducatis or MVs. They are a lot more exotic and different. I like that.

I agree with you on some points, and disagree with others.

I'll start with the bad. Ferrari sucks. They're built like shit and are nowhere near competing with the Audi owned Lamborghini's. They're on a timer, and after a certain time limit, they're done. Ferrari's were never meant to be driven, just looked at. Unlike Porsche, Lamborghini and other exotics which can actually be driven.

Ducati's however, have come a long way and are fantastic machines. Most of the people that slam expensive vehicles are just plain ole jealous (which is why I actually tried to make a point as to why I don't like Ferrari).

I'd much rather have a bike that handles like it's on rails than one that does the quarter mile in 9 or has a top speed of whatever...

anyways, everyone has their opinions I guess.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts