BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FI GSX-R an TL TRE Mod.....from Gixxer.com

Those of you with Fuel Injected GSX-R's and TL's, heres a quick and cheap mod for your bike. Myself, Canadian Gixxer and Jim did ours today and the difference is quite noticable. Heres what this mod does....

As per the original post @ Gixxer.com...

When you are in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gears, the computer figures out how much fuel to inject as usual, but, to limit torque, it backs off this amount and / or closes the secondary throttles a bit to limit your power. This is to keep torque down when you are in the lower gears. I guess it's to keep you from zipping around on the streets or whatever. It doesn't do this in the higher gears, because if you're in 4th gear or higher at low RPM's and nail it, you don't have much torque anyway.

The gear position sensor is a variable resistor. When in 1st gear it's like 500 ohms. When in 6th gear, it's about 15,000 ohms. So, if you clip the wires going to the ECU, and hook up a 15K ohm resistor, the ECU *THINKS* you are really in 6th gear all the time because it is sensing 15K ohm (6th gear) of your resistor rather than what the GPS is actually reading. So, when you roll on the gas, it puts out the full amount of power the engine is capable of

http://www.gixxer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000140&p=

atom

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
So have you guys been running around "kissing the sky" for the past few days?

:laughing

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
:D

Very easy mod with nice subtle results.. well very easy except on Mike's 600.. everything is so cramped..

Officer: What do you think you were doing??
Me: Just checking the weather sir, looks like it's going to be a nice day.. ;)

Oh yeah, I have a lot of parts left over for anyone else with an FI zook that wants to spend 15 minutes in a driveway.

Jim. :D

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
or if it's the 600, then a hour and half :) :laughing :laughing I dunno why we had a harder time doing it than Atom's 750, his was just a tight inside..... but it makes a world of a difference down low.... for me, power comes on 2000rpm eariler, and it removes all stutter below 4,500rpm.

·
Back Again!!
852 Posts
I want more torque!
Mo' power better!:D
I'll have to find out how to mod my Honda...i am jealous that you get to play more than me:p

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
For the guys that were down at the house yesterday, I got impatient and just did my plugs today.

Getting the plastic back on and re-aligned was the hard part. Even with figuring out the plastic it only took me about an hour and a half. It would have been faster If I had a prop for the tank. Working with one hand to get the rear plug was a bitch.

Next weekend.. oil change. Anyone up for a driveway tech afternoon again?

Jim. :D

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Sure. I'll get my plates by then and come down for the fun.

I'll just walk around and shake my head and when you guys ask what's wrong I'll just wistfully say "oh, nuthin'........."

:D

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm in. Though I done most of the things already, I guess it doesn't hurt to look around and learn more about other bikes :)

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ya, tech day sounds cool. I'll find something on it to work on....:) .

You gotta love being able to do a ten dollar mod, and it actually improving something:) .

·
Super Moderator
5,114 Posts
i'm in....

I still have to find that damn connector thingy a bob that fell behind the engine when doing the tre mod.

G

·
hmm...but what happens when you're in 6th gear with this mod? Then you'll have a 15kOhm resistance in series with ANOTHER 15k kOhm resistance. So the ECU will see a 30 kOhm resistance in 6th gear. Does this cause any problems? Or does the ECU just deal with everything above 15k the same as 15k?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
WANG,

No problems in 6th. Resistance above 15K is treated as 15K it would appear.

The mod is also easy to back out.. just remove the splice, and crimp the cut wire back together.

This mod will however void your warranty.

Jim.

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
superiorWANG said:
hmm...but what happens when you're in 6th gear with this mod? Then you'll have a 15kOhm resistance in series with ANOTHER 15k kOhm resistance. So the ECU will see a 30 kOhm resistance in 6th gear. Does this cause any problems? Or does the ECU just deal with everything above 15k the same as 15k?
I haven't had the chance to hit 6th yet. I don't think there should be any problems because I haven't heard any complaints from others that have done it on other message boards. I'll let you know though.

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
xenz said:

Really ?? :D :laughing :laughing
Believe it or not, but that little tear down to Deltaport via hwy99 I was in 4th and may have touch 5th for a second or two. I'll let you know what 6th feels like when the roads clear up a little;) .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts