BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people I'm a newbie here, just got my bike license and looking at buying a 2002 R6. My problem is where can I get the best interest rate to finance a bike? I'm a full time student and have been working 2 jobs for over a year now. If anybody can give me some info that'd be great

·
Back Again!!
852 Posts
When it comes to interest rates, pretyy much everywhere you go it will be the same. Yamaha has probably a manufature set interest that they offer, like Honda and Suzuki. You can try your bank and see what they can give you. Otherwise, not much difference. Also terms can be different and also how much money you willing to put down. Qualifying for a certain rate also applies.
Good luck on your hunt, hope to see you on the road soon:thumbup

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just got a 02 gsxr 1000,8.75%bank 324.00p/m 4yrs with some money down.most rates were nearly the same.:D

·
Registered
634 Posts
another question I think might need to be asked is how long have you been riding? if you've just got your licence and are really new to biking I might re-think an r6 for your first bike (just asking cause sometimes people will have 12 years of hardcore motocross behond them. I've heard some really unfortunate stories of new people getting bikes they're not ready for and killing themselves. Also remember to include other costs such as boots/helmet/leathers when your figuring out how much you can afford. You might be able to get a line of credit from a bank. They tend to have good interest rates

-arai-

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got my helmet, jacket and gloves already and I've just taken a riding course so I'm confident in my abilities to ride. Well the bank was willing to give me a loan with 9.5% which I thought was kinda high, but it looks like thats the same everywhere.

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
Dude, don't get an R6! That is not a good bike to be learning on. You WILL drop your bike in the first few months you own it, it happens to everyone. It's much better to drop your little fairing-less GS500 than your brand new $11,000 600 supersport. Sorry to sound like an asshole, but I'm just saying this because I hate seeing people get hurt, especailly those that are new to the sport. Even worse, I'd hate to see that poor bike get wrecked.

BTW, I'm a loans officer at a bank, and that rate of 9.5% is actually pretty good for a student without much credit history (I'm guessing). I tried to refincance a bike loan for one of the guys on this borad, and the lowest rate I could get him was still over 13%.

·
Burn it up
163 Posts
yeah....not trying to veer off topic or anything, but it is kind of dumb to be buying a 2002 r6 for ur first bike. I mean I have been riding motocross for a long time, along with bmx, and anything else on 2 wheels. I am very confident in my abilities, but I chose to pick up an older cbr600 for my first "race" bike......the only reason for getting the r6 is too look "cool" Its not like u will be going anywhere near the limits of a 10 second superbike ur first season anyhow. And yeah, I have seen almost every new rider drop their bikes that I know. Huge bills. Besides u might not even want to ride for years, a brand new bike is a pretty big investment (for a college student here) I dunno I try and talk sense into every new rider who tells me "yeah im gonna buy a brand new r1/r6." But in the end its ur decision.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Regula8r, I more or less have to agree with arai and HurricaneF1.

R6 is a horrible first bike.. and both arai and I own them.

Your likely to feel as if you have a firm grasp on motorcycling, but you've really just scratched the surface.

Your truely best bet would be to buy a used bike, something resonable, and invest in proper gear.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have to disagree, I think the R6 is a great starter bike, it is the most responsive, has great breaks and is very light. Granted it has a lot of power, but all the 600cc bikes have a lot of power to a new rider and as long as you ride within your ability you won't have a problem. Provided you are big enough to hold the bike up, since I don't know who you are I can't really say. but as for interest rates, you can get dealer rates down around 5-9%, I pay 1.9% on my R1, 0 down and $267 a month, it pays to know ppl. :D

Or you could buy a used bike for the summer, get something cheap then trade it in the fall, dealers always lower their interest rates near the end of the season, hell even Ducati had 5.9%:D

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the feedback guys
I'll look for a used R6 first but if I can't find one then I'll just have to go new

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hehe, no I got the point but its still my choice right:)
I'm not interested in riding hard or anything and i'm confident in my abilities to handle a R6. I'll look for a used one so that if I do drop it at least I won't waste my money on a new one.
thanks people

·
moving pylon
1,428 Posts
r6s may be horrible first bikes, but it's your money man. do what you want with it, don't buy something your not gonna enjoy riding just b/c ppl tell you otherwise. If your going to be happy riding something other than an R6 than by all means but if your heart is dead set on an R6 than BUY IT !!

good luck with your purchase:)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, it does come down to the point that IT'S YOUR MONEY and YOUR LIFE. as much as ppl try and tell you that R6's or Gixxers or anything are not good starter bikes, it is still your money. As you said, you dont plan on riding hard (although, u might tend to lose control once u have that crotch rocket under you) then as long as you stay in control of the bike and not the other way around... then it is your money and life.

do whatever makes u happy man.

have fun and ride safe.... :thumbup

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the encouragement guys
hope to see you on the road soon:thumbup

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
Just curious...then if you are not planning on riding it hard, then why are you getting something with that sort of performance? If you're just going to be putting around town, would you consider something more suitable for those types of duties? A standard maybe?

I know, it's your money, and you're free to spend it how you wish, I just want to present some other options. I look back to when I started riding a couple of years ago, and I too was set on what I wanted. I look back now and wish I got something more like a GS, rather than a GSX-R. But hindsight is 20/20, right?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
honestly this is kind of a dumb reason but I just like the looks of the R6. Also if I do decide to do some track riding(I'd probably join a club or take another course) then I figure it would perform well on the track too.

·
518 Posts
Don't waste your $$$.... I would never buy a new bike.... unless I had money to burn....

why bother? as soon as you drive it off the lot it's worth 2000$ less.... just look for a good used bike.... get a line of credit or some shite....and buy used.... you'll get just as good a bike for 6000$ OR less if your smart about it.... and most of the time it'll come with some good aftermarket stuff too....

Squidly is a Squidly does......:confused

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
Regul8r said:
honestly this is kind of a dumb reason but I just like the looks of the R6. Also if I do decide to do some track riding(I'd probably join a club or take another course) then I figure it would perform well on the track too.
I know it's a dumb reason...but basically the same thing I had in mind when I bought my first bike. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts