BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

First bike...

8K views 41 replies 29 participants last post by  stickman 
#1 ·
So what kind of bikes did y'all start on?

#6 ·
1995 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-600R C8 for $5400 from Daytona....dumb fuck that I was....not about the bike, the store.....the bike was great, until I had an accident this summer. Got a 2001 ZX6R for $9600 out the door, brand new from BK, that got burnt down on Nov. 11th - 3 months after I bought it, did 15k on it though, Bought my friend's, Manny's, 2001 ZX6R for $8200.

Overall 2001 was a bad year riding. Got one Canadian ticket ($175), nearly went to jail for a US one got out by paying a US$1,000 fine and US $800 in lawyer fees (got caught doing 121mph on my 1995 ZX600R). Then had an accident, landed on my head, bike was totalled, then my new bike got burnt down, had that underissured by $1700 so I lost that to ICBC right away and now I have the green ZX6R, hopefully I will be able to keep that for the next decade or 3. :D:D:D:D:D

#10 ·
Genuine said:
Ya I know, I'll probably start off with a early 90's CBR 600 F2 or somethin'. Or maybe even a VFR 750, it might be more confortable, considering that I am like 6 feet 7 inches tall.
I would recommend the VFR. I started on a 92 F2, and that thing is hard for beginners. You will use these easy to steer bikes in your motorcycle class, I mean these things turn easy, balance nicely, very confidence inspiring. But sportbikes do not handle that well at slow speeds, and that is where you need the most practice. Anyone can get a bike up to speed and handle it, but when you are at parking lot speeds, that is when the real skill comes in and sportbikes are not great. But you will adjust, as I did, it just may make it easier to start with something less sporty that will allow you to get experience riding.

#12 ·
I WAS STUPID!!!

Believe it or not, but this is my first bike. I had ridden dirt before, more so just playing around and stuff. A few friends decided to take it to the street. So, I took the Action course and passed with flying colors (scored zero on the road exam). I really didn't know much about bikes technically but had my mind set on the GSX-R750. The badest of the bad at the time.

Let me tell you, the first 6 months riding that thing was crazy. I probably scared the crap out of myself more time than I'd like to remember:eek !!! It was time to grow up and decided that speed wasn't everything. I have now gotten used to it but still don't think it was the best thing for me. I believe that my riding skills would have greatly improved if I were to have started on something alot more tame. I honored my bike and it took care of me.

Over the past 8 months, while studying SBN (Sportbikes.net) I have grown in many ways. I have learn countless things from the people from there and some that are here now in terms of proper motorcycling.

I may be okay now, but you should have seen me a few years ago......squid kid!!!

Do yourself and your family a favour, research your choice before you buy. I bought mine for the wrong reasons but got lucky that it turned out okay:) .

atom

#13 ·
I had done the same and cant recomend getting a new bike as your first. I just jumped into it without thinking and was lucky but most people are not. Better to drop a piece of shit than your new shiny toy that now cost you 500 bucks because of a broken left faring that occured in the Mcdonalds parking lot. Just my .02;)

#14 ·
My current bike 90 FZR 600 is my first bike. I bought an older bike to learn on was planning on buying something new this year but now I doubt thats gona be possible. It's not all bad though, I think I'll take owning a townhouse over a new bike :) and make do with what I got.

#16 ·
My first was a brand new 1982 Suzuki GS750T. I loved that bike and rode the balls off it. I put 47,000kms on it in 18 months and never once checked the oil or the chain. Even took it out to the old Westwood Track on weekday afternoons and snuck through a hole in the fence so I could take a few laps at full speed. That old cradle frame would bend whenever I flew over that bump midway down the back straight.

Bought it brand new in 1982 for $3000 incl. taxes etc, and sold it for $800 a year and a half later. It never let me down and never needed anything repaired or replaced. The best $2200 I ever spent.:cool

G
#18 ·
My first was a 2001 250 Ninja. I bought it brand new the week before my Action course started! I took it very seriously though and was(and still am) very safe when I'm on the bike. I would totally recommend this as a starting bike for anyone 'cause it handles very easily/lightly, looks great (most people who asked about the bike asked if it was a 750 or a 900cc bike!), is great on gas and cheaper to insure, and also 'cause it's relatively light. Soooo many times, i almost dropped the bike (grabbbing the front break while handles are turned!) but saved it with brute strength. If it were a 6, i would have broken my legs and arms trying to save it from falling!!!!

#22 ·
bl1tz said:
i haven't dropped my bike yet;) ;)

Blitz I am sorry, but my brain might not be good with people's names but in everything else it's like photograpic memory.

Our first ride out, you were taking a left turn into that gas/retaurant thing out near Dukney road, you pretty much dropped it, scratching the left generator cover and fairing......

#26 ·
First bike: April 29, 2004 I bought the Suzuki FR600R, a great bike, the thieves who stole thought so too. Lesson: Always lock your bike up. Always. Second bike: 1995 VFR750. This bike is awesome. I'm no speed demon, nor do I feel shame in slowing for corners or idling thru turns in intersections. I take it fairly easy and its been no problem owning such a big bike as basically my first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.