BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The helmet that I first spotted at the Seattle M/C in the fall, is finally in my hands.

I love carbon fibre and titanium :cool

This my third HJC helmet, other models that I own are the HJC Symax and the HJC AC-11 Zeek.

HJC has finally figured out how to make len changing easy, this is the best by far and their third version. The lens locking positions are very positive, it exceeds Snell 2005 and DOT standards. Also this helmet incorporates a new ventation system and liner.

The helmet looks great and the fit and finish are top notch. This helmet is light, too.

Now, if the weather would turn around I'd get off the couch and go for a spin.

Last word....CARBON FIBER

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Where'd you pick it up?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered it in January from a Dealer I know the Kooteneys.

Parts Canada is the distributor.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
dood down the street from me has one...man its sweet!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Saw one at Richmond Motorsport and thought, wow that looks sharp but then I looked at the price and it was >$500 !

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
SilverSV650S said:
Saw one at Richmond Motorsport and thought, wow that looks sharp but then I looked at the price and it was >$500 !
Got a cheap head? Buy a cheap helmet.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
Fjr eh said:
...Now, if the weather would turn around I'd get off the couch and go for a spin...
on the contrary... I wanna know how it does in the cold and wet first.
dry and sunny is easier to deal well with.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Tattoodles said:
Got a cheap head? Buy a cheap helmet.
Classic dumb assumption. Inexpensive/Cheap helmet does not equal unsafe helmet. Expensive helmet does not equal safe helmet.

What, may I ask, are you a vendor of? And is this your usual advice to things in general? Buy the most expensive one. Good luck on your business.

·
banned user
6,255 Posts
SilverSV650S said:
Classic dumb assumption. Inexpensive/Cheap helmet does not equal unsafe helmet. Expensive helmet does not equal safe helmet.

What, may I ask, are you a vendor of? And is this your usual advice to things in general? Buy the most expensive one. Good luck on your business.
He's cool, he is a tattoo artist :coffee I think he was making an off the cuff remark with a hint of sarcasm. But he can clarify :)

I think we all know that the difference in qaulity/durability of a helmet for 200 bucks as opposed to one thats 1000 bucks is minimal at best. Thats whey there are standards to be met. DOT(public-self tested) and Snell(private-independently tested). Anyways, a helmet is better then no helmet. Carbon looks sweet I must admit!

:tredmill

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Wicked looking lid. I'm just a tad gunshy on HJC, though. I never like the fit and finish of their helmets. Is this one a step up?

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
I'm not in it for a flame war, so I won't come out with guns-a-blazin'.

I'm just saying that it's surprising when folks want to cheap out on a helmet - a safety item that could mean the difference between life and death some day.

$500 is not expensive for a helmet, to be sure, especially if it's made from advanced materials like CF.

True, there's over priced helmets. I think the top of the line Arai helmets are too spendy, especially when it's simply the repliracer paint schemes that you're spending money on.

As a vendor? I'm a tattoo artist. So this kind of reminds me of arguements I see customers have about how much is too much to spend on a tattoo. And with tattooing, price usually is indicitive of quality. There are folks who don't want to spend more than what they think is reasonable for a tattoo, much like those who don't want to spend more than what they think is reasonable for a helmet. In the end, it's deciding where your priorities lie and how much money you have available for disposable income.

With tattooing, and as with helmets, there's always someone who will do it cheaper. How little do you want to spend?

Personally, I wouldn't balk at a $500 lid. Actually, this thread has inspired me to go and pick one up if it fits me.

But certainly if price is your primary concern, then this helmet is probably not the helmet for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pick up this months Sportrider, and read all about HJC. May make you think a bit different about this company. The AC 12 is a great helmet, and they say it is one of the best at being quiet. They do a "test" on it so read all about it and then decide.
The carbon is great, and on-line US retailers are selling the Solid colour (not carbon) for around 170 usd.
Amazing price for a good helmet.
I just bought a new Suomy because I could not wait for the AC 12 but that was my first choice.

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
SilverSV650S said:

I gotta agree the best helmet so far for me is my $75 (tax and tinted visor included) Fulmer helmet. It has great graphics and I got hit by a dodge ram with brush guard head on, I ended up slamming my face into the hood edge and brush guard I had a swore chin but no cuts or bruises.

My KBC helmet was way quieter than my Suomy and my Suomy was 500 plus my KBC was 330 before all the accessories.

·
New chain...Soo smooth...
930 Posts
My Suomy 'Gun Wind' is also a bit noisy, but I usually always wear ear plugs. The venting in it is great, the materials are very nice, and graphics are decent. A good lid in my opinion.

From what I've read, most of the 'racer' style helmets are a bit loud - gotta stay cool in there. My HJC (CL-14) didn't have very good venting, and I sweated buckets in that thing... Also, the internal padding 'packed up' and the helmet became too loose after about 1 year of use.

That SportRider article is excellent if you haven't read it - HJC is actually using alot of cutting edge technology to make their helmets, it's just that they have lots of cheap labour available to help keep the volume high and their prices competitive.

If nothing else, make sure the helmet fits correctly - regardless of brand.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Tattoodles said:
I'm not in it for a flame war, so I won't come out with guns-a-blazin'.

I'm just saying that it's surprising when folks want to cheap out on a helmet - a safety item that could mean the difference between life and death some day.

True, there's over priced helmets. I think the top of the line Arai helmets are too spendy, especially when it's simply the repliracer paint schemes that you're spending money on.

But certainly if price is your primary concern, then this helmet is probably not the helmet for you.
With all due respect, I can tell you are a good guy and don't intend to start flame wars BUT in this case, you have no 'guns-a-blazin' ... you have no ammunition. Reason, research, and the majority of people's opinion will side with the truth that expensive does not equal better/safer helmets. You even said that cost is associated with fancy paint schemes yourself. Next time, just give a thoughtful answer, especially as a vendor, because it reflects on your reputation. Don't be so quick to slam someone's comments on a board with trite cliches/lines. Respect.

·
New chain...Soo smooth...
930 Posts
Hmmm... You seem to be new around here Silver650S?

Be careful, you may get yourself in some hot water...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts