BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally doing my first longer trip on my bike (Ninja 250) from Vancouver to Kelowna this July.

Is there any advice for preparation I should do for my 4 hour~ drive?

Also any advice about the road/route?

-Pahoogawoo

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Nothing you really need to know about a trip like that, your bike will handle it just fine. Pack a roadside tire repair kit with CO2; check, clean & lube your chain, check your bike for loose bolts, pack in case of rain and have fun!

Please drink lots of water :)

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
pLAN YOUR GAS STOPS. bring Water, leave a list of places you will be at and the aproxamate times and check in with family or friends. You probably wont ride for more than 2 hours ( gas range) remember thirds, one third to get there one third to get back to the last stop ( in case you got to turn around ) one third reserve. Plan a stop at hope, Merritt, Kamloops, then you should be there. Ride at times when the sun is high. Early morning or late evenings sun can get in your eyes and other cars making you invisible under certain conditions. Take your time. Watch for wild life, If possible hook up with other riders you may meet at your stops. Ride your own ride and if your new friends are going faster than your skill just back off and be safe.

·
Registered
18,864 Posts
If you haven't ridden that many hours at a stretch, remember to take a few breaks, stretch... eat... hydrate... and
enjoy the ride! Take a camera for some pictures of your first long ride. It'll be memorable... but if you have permanent
records of it, you'll be able to reflect later in life on it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank guys :D
I feel much more confident about doing this ride now. I will definitely be taking all of your advice into consideration ^_^
The only other trip I've ever done on the bike was to Victoria, but I know that accidents are fairly common on the Coquihalla so I was a bit worried, but now i'm actually getting pretty excited :D
I'll try to take some pics and post when the trip is done.

-Pahoogawoo

·
Super Moderator
23,551 Posts
Thank guys :D
I feel much more confident about doing this ride now. I will definitely be taking all of your advice into consideration ^_^
The only other trip I've ever done on the bike was to Victoria, but I know that accidents are fairly common on the Coquihalla so I was a bit worried, but now i'm actually getting pretty excited :D
I'll try to take some pics and post when the trip is done.

-Pahoogawoo
Taking the Coke???!!!

Consider some other advice, take Hope/Princeton....SO SO much nicer.

You can stop once at Hope to fuel up and stretch, then once again
at Manning Park Lodge, then Princeton for lunch/gas, Then Penticton, followed
by a Kelowna end.

·
Super Moderator
23,551 Posts
Hwy #3 to Keremeos hang a left to go to Penticton, on 97, then back around the lake to Kelowna.

It's a bit longer of a route, but really much more enjoyable scenery and roads IMO. You will go through
some really nice country, pass through some neat lil towns, and enjoy the day. If I'm in a hurry to get
direct to Kelowna, the coke for sure (in my car), otherwise Hope/Princeton FTW.

·
This space for rent
2,099 Posts
If you're going to take #5, you might as well leave the bike at home and take an overnight bus. I've done it on a bike, but only when in a hurry and I make pretty good time on that route. Really, take either Chia's or Schmii's route advice - I think you'll enjoy the trip better. The Coq was designed for motorhomes, not motorcycles. Here's the toughest turn on #5:

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
The guy's a new rider fella's.... Don't forget this four hour trip is the first and longest he's done. He may be more comfortable on a relatively "to you" boring piece of highway, but it'll likely be challenging enough for him without throwing in all the uncertainties of a strange and unknown mountain hwy... in my opinion of course..

Take the Coq up and depending on your comfort level after that come back the Hope Princetone if you want.

·
Super Moderator
23,551 Posts
The guy's a new rider fella's.... Don't forget this four hour trip is the first and longest he's done. He may be more comfortable on a relatively "to you" boring piece of highway, but it'll likely be challenging enough for him without throwing in all the uncertainties of a strange and unknown mountain hwy... in my opinion of course..

Take the Coq up and depending on your comfort level after that come back the Hope Princetone if you want.
That's good advice Don, but I honesty never feel all that "comfortable" on the Coq to be honest.

There's damn near nothing up there, pretty barren, and not a lot of places to stop, smell the roses, buy a cup of coffee, get gas, or anything.

You can just as easily have a very leisurely ride on the other routes, but have the benefit of better scenery, a nicer ride, more places to stop (if required, or wanted), and more turns to keep you awake, alert and engaged.

I always get the feeling that taking the Coq is like crossing the desert, while taking the #3 is like closer to a ride in the country.....just my :2cents

·
From N00bie to Wannabe
4,839 Posts
Tough call! OP's join date is 2007 but doesn't indicate how much seat time the OP has.

If trying it on a long weekend or Friday night; Coq will have tons of traffic buzzing up his ass @ 120+ but if he (I'm assuming a he but that got me in doodoo last time with Squeakerfish! :blindside) is a n00b and on his first long ride; 4 hours of cornering might be a bit excessive! At least the pace is likely to be a little slower off the Coq.

Lots of stops and lots of water either way OP and enjoy the trip! Post up departure date & time and maybe you'll find a wingman! (or girl...:p Squeakerfish!)

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
I think the Coq will be the best and safest. With the crazy amount of deer, the Coq has at least fencing to keep most of the wildlife off the highway. And all the corners very easy ...

Kinda funny how one person thinks this is a long ride, When I do it for a ride for lunch... But having friends in Loops, Vernon, Kelowna makes going there a fun reason. But I have done "day rides" around the Duffy, 100 mile, ect.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
The best bet is to take the Coq and decide what route to take on the way home. This is your first big ride and you're doing it alone, better off taking the quick, direct way. Besides, the Coq still has sights and lots of elevation so it's interesting at times too. If you found the Coq no problem, take a different way home.

Everyone has a different idea of what a big or small ride is. Don't worry about them, you find your own pace and enjoy it!

·
Veni, vidi, velcro....
71 Posts
(I'm assuming a he but that got me in doodoo last time with Squeakerfish! :blindside)

Lots of stops and lots of water either way OP and enjoy the trip! Post up departure date & time and maybe you'll find a wingman! (or girl...:p Squeakerfish!)
LOL! Yes, girls ride and ask questions about mechanical things too, don't you forget it! (appears that you won't) :cheers

@pahoogawoo - Stop lots, stretch lots, hydrate. The Coq is so boring even in a car - fast, straight, and ugly - but I agree that if it's a first long-ish ride, not a bad idea to take it one way and then find something more interesting home if it goes well, although I'd probably do the more challenging route while still fresh and take the straight and easier home. I'm thinking about the Duffy loop this weekend, wish the weather would make up its mind.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have driven about 10,000km around the lower mainland so far over the past 1.5 seasons. I think I'll take some of your advice and do the coke on the way there, then do the more scenic route on the way back :)

Also I will definitely be scheduling water/stretch breaks ^^

The plan is now to take off around 9:30am on the 15th so as not to catch too much of the midday heat or traffic.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts