BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
backslider
11,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being that this is a sport-bike forum after all, I shall proudly share the fact that I did, finally, have a chance to take my (new to me) '06 CBR1000-rr out for a semi-sporting rip the other evening ... and my word this bike is wickedly fast/sharp/sweet !!!

Like riding a 175 hp switch-blade knife, really (and just about as comfortable.

It is quite clear already, that soon shall be gone any illusions I may have had about doing any multiple 500 km sport-touring days on this rig ... but my gawd does it's performance capabilities ever make up for whatever it might lack in the way of rider over-fifty desired ergonomics! And to make all my detailing and meticulous preparation efforts fully validated, some nine year old little boy walking past me (as I was about to re-mount after stopping for a bite, quite late in the evening) with his mum in tow stopped, stared for a moment ... and said aloud ... " WOW - you have a shiny, shiny motorcycle" ...

so there ya go - the Black Beauty is ready for the season; and let the fun times begin!!

Reactions: Squisher

·
Registered
696 Posts
Awesome. Some of my funnest times are seeing kids react to a sport bike. The other day I gave my fz1 a little rev through a underpass and right after a young kid(10-12) was hanging out of the window of the car in front giving me two thumbs up just grinning ear to ear. I feel like biking keeps me young, or maybe it's just I never grew up. The fz1 is not quite a supersport but modded right out now it's no slouch and definitely has the over the top intoxicating performance abilities. Enjoy that cbr I'd love to have a machine like that but I do enjoy the comforts of a slightly less intensely focused machine.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,318 Posts
It is quite clear already, that soon shall be gone any illusions I may have had about doing any multiple 500 km sport-touring days on this rig ...
500km ain't a day, that's the time for a morning coffee break! :D

Give it time, the bike will break you in!

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
it can be done, Kent. Stuart 'rubherdown' still rides tons on his CBR1000RR, with 600-800kms an average day. I once did a 1200km day with him, and he was fresher than I was at the end! I think he's got mild risers on the bars, and that's about it. you could ask him... he's never on here anymore, but PM me if you want to pursue that, and I can put you in touch. ( David Morrow also now has a CBR that he tours on...)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I admire you guys. Touring on supersports is a feat. Not for me anymore. Age takes its toll. I had a good run but its back to basic bikes for me.

·
backslider
11,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's great, Don ... I rode quite a few times with Stuart when I had my K1200S, including one forum organized multiple day group-ride tour through Washington and Oregon. And what about Mike (the pilot) with the GSXR-1000, and St. Nick ... are those guys still around and riding at all?

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
That's great, Don ... I rode quite a few times with Stuart when I had my K1200S, including one forum organized multiple day group-ride tour through Washington and Oregon. And what about Mike (the pilot) with the GSXR-1000, and St. Nick ... are those guys still around and riding at all?
yup, and yup, altho I haven't been in touch with either of them for quite some time. as Covid restrictions ease, maybe a few of us will be able to 'tear the place up' again together...

·
backslider
11,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sooooo ... ripped off a quickie to Lillooet and back early early one weekend morning last weekend (just under 600 kms in all) ... and hoo-hah is that black beauty ever a BEAST in disguise. A couple decent sections of road left before Squish (where they couldn't totally straighten it out), and then not much until after Mt Currie. Long long day in the saddle on a super-sport, to get to the good stuff! Best pavement on the Duffey is now the last quarter section, where it drops down into Lillooet. The road near Duffey Lake is all frost-heaved, cracked, and puckered (here come the tar-snakes!) ... as that was part of the first or second section to get re-paved.

Anyway - lotsa smoke hangin in the air from the BC fires; Joffrey Mnt looks totally different, since the north face peeled off a couple years ago; and a couple very BIG deer lurking around on the side of the road ... and ... there's a fantastic little coffee shop/bakery in Lillooet, that makes killer BLT sangies and caramel machiatos ... and the Rainbow mall coffee joint in Whistler is now gone, become a Mexican taco joint.

sigh

Oh ya - bike ergonomics were tolerable, barely. (but ohhhhh that bike is soooooo much fun in the good stuff!!!!!)

·
track hack
2,026 Posts
Sooooo ... ripped off a quickie to Lillooet and back early early one weekend morning last weekend (just under 600 kms in all) ... and hoo-hah is that black beauty ever a BEAST in disguise. A couple decent sections of road left before Squish (where they couldn't totally straighten it out), and then not much until after Mt Currie. Long long day in the saddle on a super-sport, to get to the good stuff! Best pavement on the Duffey is now the last quarter section, where it drops down into Lillooet. The road near Duffey Lake is all frost-heaved, cracked, and puckered (here come the tar-snakes!) ... as that was part of the first or second section to get re-paved.

Anyway - lotsa smoke hangin in the air from the BC fires; Joffrey Mnt looks totally different, since the north face peeled off a couple years ago; and a couple very BIG deer lurking around on the side of the road ... and ... there's a fantastic little coffee shop/bakery in Lillooet, that makes killer BLT sangies and caramel machiatos ... and the Rainbow mall coffee joint in Whistler is now gone, become a Mexican taco joint.

sigh

Oh ya - bike ergonomics were tolerable, barely. (but ohhhhh that bike is soooooo much fun in the good stuff!!!!!)
Our group did it over and back last week as well and I was on my new-to-me '09 CBR1000RR - similar thoughts, fun bike, insane midrange, but I miss my naked bike ergo's that's for sure.

Fun ride though, scenic leaving/re-entering Pemberton and as you say, the descent into Lillooet is the cherry on top.

·
backslider
11,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My sister look at me, when she sees my bike (06 CBR 1000-RR) for the first time ... and says "that bike looks like it wants to kill you" ... !!

Reactions: CrashTested
1 - 10 of 10 Posts