BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a dual sport XT225 '07 and I have to do my first service. (1000km) The price on my dealer is at least $200+ , and that includes:
1) Oil change
2) checking and perhaps changing filter
3) checking valves and adjust if needed
4) Checking barrings
5) Checking clatch, throttle etc and adjust if needed.

They said that it's about a two hour job. They said that it has to be a yamaha autorised garage or they want me to provide them proof that the job has been done properly in order to meet the terms and conditions on my 3-year extended guarantee.

I was wondering if that's a reasonable price to pay and if I should do it with my dealer or if I could go to another place.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Take it to 5th gear and it will cost you much less or just do it yourself. Change the filter for sure. Use factory oil. Keep the receipts.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
I just got a dual sport XT225 '07 and I have to do my first service. (1000km) The price on my dealer is at least $200+ , and that includes:
1) Oil change
2) checking and perhaps changing filter
3) checking valves and adjust if needed
4) Checking barrings
5) Checking clatch, throttle etc and adjust if needed.

They said that it's about a two hour job. They said that it has to be a yamaha autorised garage or they want me to provide them proof that the job has been done properly in order to meet the terms and conditions on my 3-year extended guarantee.

I was wondering if that's a reasonable price to pay and if I should do it with my dealer or if I could go to another place.
We charge $99 and I'm a factory trained Yamaha mechanic. That and we can show you how to make that bike alot better.

For god's sakes get a refund on that 3 yr warrenty. That engine has been around for 20 plus years with no problems at all. You can rebuild it the whole engine for $900.

·
n00b
704 Posts
Normally, I like to take my vehicle to the dealer for the length of its warranty. Some people take it to their own mechanics and follow the service period to the dot and keep documents if something needs to be warrantied. With that in mind, a dealership can pretty much say anything they want when it comes to doing warranty work if the work was not done at an authorized service centre. They may not necessarily do it, but they can.

In your case, being as you have bought the extra warranty, and from the sounds of the place you have bought it from, they will probably be very anal about things.

Now my turn to ask questions, isn't the XT a dual purpose bike? And aren't they tanks? Why did you feel that extra warranty was needed?

·
n00b
704 Posts
hahaha, by the time I posted, 2 others did. I take my bike to 5th gear. Just take it there, and keep paperwork. If your case is bulletproof (ie, all receipts showing tip top care), they really can't say much, although they can, but then you can call on their BS.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason why I got the 3-year warranty service was because I believed that If I would re-sell the bike in a year, I would be able to re-sell it for more money because that 3-year warranty of yamaha is on the bike and not on the owner, so it's transferable. I have recently moved in BC, and I am not exactly sure of how long I will be staying here, so I believed that if I had that extended, the new owner would trust to buy a bike with a warranty. So now I do not know if I am actually saving money on that or not. What is your suggestion?

Btw I really appriciated your post 5thgear and I tried to call this number 604 244-7666 but nobody answered and your voice mailbox was full. So I'll be contacting you tomorrow to arrange when I should bring the bike.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
The reason why I got the 3-year warranty service was because I believed that If I would re-sell the bike in a year, I would be able to re-sell it for more money because that 3-year warranty of yamaha is on the bike and not on the owner, so it's transferable. I have recently moved in BC, and I am not exactly sure of how long I will be staying here, so I believed that if I had that extended, the new owner would trust to buy a bike with a warranty. So now I do not know if I am actually saving money on that or not. What is your suggestion?

Btw I really appriciated your post 5thgear and I tried to call this number 604 244-7666 but nobody answered and your voice mailbox was full. So I'll be contacting you tomorrow to arrange when I should bring the bike.
It's Sunday nobody works on Sunday. We're open Tues thru Saturday.

The warrenty does not increase resale , the dealer took advantage of you in a big way. Anyone in the bike industry knows very well that bike will be problem free for years. It does not need an extended warrenty.

It makes me sick when I here of salesmen screwing over new customers like that.

The $500 or $900 warrenty could have ben spent on other things you need

·
n00b
704 Posts
Yup. Lets say your warranty was $500, you'll get $100 more for the bike than if you didn't have the extra warranty. So now you are out $400. Hopefully you can 'return' the warranty. Bike warranties aren't like cars. The big hit you will take/have taken is the fact that you bought the bike new.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you very much, I will try to postpone the extra 2 years and I will be contacting 5th gear on tuesday.

I appriciate everything guys.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i got a question, when is the 2nd service, and what does the 2nd service include?

if it's not as much as the first service, if it's only oil changes and minor checks, i'll do it myself if i can, saves cost...

wow 5th gear is 99 bucks?! that will be my new fav shop once i know where it is.... a rock throw away from pacific yamaha
rms charged me close to 200 bucks for first service but i like the ppl, very friendly

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
So are the guys at 5th Gear. Friendly and 200 bucks vs friendly and 99 bucks .... I know what my choice would be.

·
Banned
2,578 Posts
Just a quick suggestion... take it or leave it ;) ...

Whenever I've had a new engine I've asked the shop/dealer for the oil that they'd taken from my car/bike on that first change. Also the 2nd & 3rd oil changes too. Reason: If you ever have a serious problem (ie: toasted engine at 10,000kms :eek) ...the oil helps tell the story & diagnose the problem. Some mechanics appreciate it; some dealerships detest the idea cuz they know the value of the info hidden in each bottle of used oil.

Just my 2kms...
:rider

·
more lean please
1,745 Posts

Whenever I've had a new engine I've asked the shop/dealer for the oil that they'd taken from my car/bike on that first change. Also the 2nd & 3rd oil changes too. Reason: If you ever have a serious problem (ie: toasted engine at 10,000kms :eek) ...the oil helps tell the story & diagnose the problem. Some mechanics appreciate it; some dealerships detest the idea cuz they know the value of the info hidden in each bottle of used oil.

Just my 2kms...

thats actually a smart idea, i never thought of that. i think i'll do that from now on if i buy another new vehicle (not likely tho, already learned my lesson on that one!)

·
Registered
8,785 Posts

Just my 2kms...
Now you can put it beside the life time supply of your hair and toenail clippings.:laughing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts