BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Consumer Reports Top Picks for 2006

- First Sweep for Japanese brands -

Japanese-brand models make up the entire list of best choices for the 2006 model year, according to the most popular and respected consumer magazine in North America.

For the first time since the magazine began publishing its list of automotive Top Picks in 1997, there are no vehicles from American carmakers among those selected for this year.

In fact, the entire list is made up of Japanese nameplates.

CONSUMER REPORTS TOP PICKS FOR 2006

Small Sedan Honda Civic
Family Sedan Honda Accord
Upscale Sedan Acura TL
Luxury Car Infiniti M35
Fun to Drive Subaru Impreza WRX and WRX STi
Small SUV Subaru Forester
Midsize SUV Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Minivan Honda Odyssey
Green Car Toyota Prius
Pickup Truck Honda Ridgeline

For more info: http://en.autos.sympatico.msn.ca/advice/windowshop.aspxcontentid=4023062&src=home&pos=Edit3

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Further proof that domestic cars suck complete ass.

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
Well, it should also be noted that they picked the fuckin ugly as sin Ridgeline as their top pick-up. :jerkoff
That's not a man's truck, it's a fuckin monstrosity that'll be driven by soccer moms everywhere.

I'm guessing that's a category that the Americans have always had locked down.

Although, that being said...my pick for top truck would've been the Toyota Tacoma...just another Japanese brand pick-up. So I guess it's a moot point really.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
The Tacoma and the Tundra are wicked machines.

·
I like traffic cones :S
15,773 Posts
Pickup Truck Honda Ridgeline
I say pardon me?
That thing is the japanese version of H2... take an Stupid Useless Vehicle, drop a new body on it and market as something "kewl". That thing is a rebodied CRV Pilot or whatever. NOT a truck. I guess they just picked the vehicles which generated most income for the companies...

M

·
0 Posts
The only car thats deservedly on there is the WRX. Minivan sure I guess thats ok too, but I couldnt care less about minivans. But no Audi? No BMW? The Japanese had always had CR in their pocket but this is ridiculous. The Ridgeline is a suckass truck. Its not recommended for 4x4 use, yet is always depicted in 4x4 situations (ie dirtbikes) yet 2 bikes and all the nessessary goodies to go with them basically top out its payload! And towing... yeah dont count on it. Then if you ever want to load anything you have to open the tailgate cuz even if youre 6'6" tall you still cant reach over the stupid sloping box! Then lets talk power... its basically a 5000lb accord with brick-like aerodynamics. Power? What power? Did I mention its ugly?
How the TL and M35 get the nod are equally astounding. At least they didnt give it to the G35, Im only 6'1 and cant fit myself into either the Altima or the G35.
My picks would have been...
Small Sedan Cobalt
Family Sedan VW Passat / Audi A6
Upscale Sedan Audi A6
Luxury Car Cadillac STS
Fun to Drive VW GTi
Small SUV Small SUV is an oxymoron
Midsize SUV Trailblazer SS
Minivan Honda Odyssey
Green Car VW TDi
Pickup Truck Silverado SS

Theyre also missing some categories
Small Coupe Civic Si
Sports Econobox Lancer Ralliart
Sports Coupe Mustang
What were they thinking?! Ridgeline (honourable mention to the mazdaspeed 6)
Everyday practicality Audi Avant (pick one)

Hybrids (of the Toyota variety) are only green until their battery dies. Then you have this rather large, very toxic mass thats useless.
Consumer Reports has to get their heads outta their asses and actually look at what canadians use the vehicles for. A Ridgeline is a grocery getter. Ive heard theres a lawsuit against Honda concerning the inability of the Ridgeline dealing with rough roads. Apparently even its meager torque is more than enough to cause problems with its longwheel base. Nothing like a tweaked "frame" to screw up a truck.

·
What we play is life.
730 Posts
They pick the cars not just based only on performance and style. The Japanese brands have had the best reliability and quality for a long time now. For example, in the sport sedan category, Audi sets the standard for interior design and BMW for handling but they cost thousands more to buy and fix, and they break down more often. Sure, if performance and handling is more important than anything and you don't care about cost you'd pick BMW. But their selection is based on people, and it sounds like mostly Americans, responses.

"Top Picks must demonstrate average or better predicted reliability, based on CR's Annual Car Reliability Survey. The magazine compiled a full 1 million responses from its readers for the first time this year in establishing these ratings.

Models earning the Top Pick awards have also performed at least adequately in overall crash protection, whether tested by the US government-funded National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) or the insurance industry-backed Insurance Institute for Highway Safety group (IIHS).

Consumer Reports adds that the Top Picks were selected from among the more than 200 vehicles that the magazine's staff has recently purchased and tested.

In his monthly editorial column, Consumer Reports president Jim Guest mentions that he expects a strong response to this new Top Picks list from readers who might think the magazine has a bias against American cars: "We hear it about once a week, so let's set the record straight: Our staff members are as patriotic as anyone. We fully understand the desire to support our domestic auto manufacturers."

Guest adds: "A vehicle's country of origin plays no part in our testing and Ratings. At our auto-test track, it's the results that count, such as braking distance, fuel economy, accident-avoidance capability, comfort, and ergonomics. Statistics from more than 50 tests and evaluations feed into a vehicle's overall score."

M

·
0 Posts
Having owned a honda and a vw my vw is cheaper to fix. There are lemons, but generally speaking if you take care of the car, it will take care of you. If you neglect it then you will have problems.

·
Unregistered User
2,769 Posts
RiceRocket said:
Sure, if performance and handling is more important than anything and you don't care about cost you'd pick BMW.

I dunno Stan, for those who want pure unadulterated perfomance check this out:

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
Its funny how so many people get bent outta shape over the Honda Ridgeline based on specs, not on driving or practicality. All the reviews of the Ridgeline say its a great truck with innovative designs. Its designed to be a practical light duty truck thats it, and it does it better than anyone else apprently.

·
What we play is life.
730 Posts
greenboy said:
I dunno Stan, for those who want pure unadulterated perfomance check this out:
That's vintage. I got one in black and convertible. One horsepower but reliable. :laughing

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
PUREVIL said:
Its funny how so many people get bent outta shape over the Honda Ridgeline based on specs, not on driving or practicality. All the reviews of the Ridgeline say its a great truck with innovative designs. Its designed to be a practical light duty truck thats it, and it does it better than anyone else apprently.
Those who buy a vehicle with common sense will probably appreciate a vehicle for its merit rather than its looks, akin to the Element, which is also 'ugly' but is super utilitarian.

The Ridgleline may not look like a truck, but does all the truck things well, except heavy duty 4x4 which its probably not meant to do (unlike toyotas for eg.).

·
What we play is life.
730 Posts
REVELATIONS said:
Those who buy a vehicle with common sense will probably appreciate a vehicle for its merit rather than its looks, akin to the Element, which is also 'ugly' but is super utilitarian.

The Ridgleline may not look like a truck, but does all the truck things well, except heavy duty 4x4 which its probably not meant to do (unlike toyotas for eg.).
Couldn't agree with you more.

Considering that it's Honda's first crack at a pick up truck they did very well. Americans have been producing pick-ups for so long that they've had plenty of time to be innovative. But here is Honda that is innovative with features like trunk under the bed and a tailgate that lowers or swings open. I wouldn't be surprised in a few years that Honda and Toyota will have this market locked up. Must be a reason why GM is in trouble.

S

·
0 Posts
just reminds me of that old SNL skit with mike myers pretending to be japanese with a panel bashing all things american. it's still true.

·
Premium Member
7,666 Posts
REVELATIONS said:

I doubt many of the people who buy this "truck" will use it for truck stuff. Out of all the ones I've seen on the road, I have yet to see one with anything in the bed, or anything hooked up to the hitch.

This vehicle is just another alternative for the type of people that buy an SUV to haul their kids to school. The most I would expect to see in the bed is a sack of soccer balls.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts