BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to visit Dat @ Action yesterday night, on my way back via Patullo (?) bridge and turn on to Columbia street and got pull aside speeding, the officer walk up to me start talking bikes, saying he used to own a gsxr750 and now only ride HD from work, he was very friendly and so am I; asked me if was used to travel via New West a lot and I mentioned first time in past 4 to 5 years, then asked me if I know the limit of the street, and I reply 60 :confused and he mentioned I was travelling ~160 at a 30km zone :p Nevertheless, I was speeding big time, I went nuts for a sec I guess. We changed the topic back to bikes for a while and he head back to his car to check all the stuff.

I thought I was well fucked this time, 160 in a 30 zone, err.. 5x speed limit, so much for Day 1 of Chinese New Year... He came back saying he's giving me a huge break this time, he wrote me a ticket of $58 because I wasn't able to provide registration paper to him (left at home) instead of $500+ ticket for excessive speeding + 5 points :eek. I guess I got damn lucky !!! Got caught by a very nice cop who ride before.

ok, now I'm afraid of riding to the meeting on the 21st, I guess I'll drive there instead.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
whoa man!
you got lucky!

130kph after a turn eh?
that's a nice bike. :p

i can't speed no more..any points i get till august and i get my license pulled for 4 months.

speed limits suck.

good thing you got a nice cop.
-d

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Man, did you ever get a break. Congrats on getting the "small one".;) .

I just paid an excessive for $460 the other day. It hurts, but ya gotta pay to play.

atom

·
Registered
872 Posts
always dispute your ticket. it is your right, the worst that can happen is you get 2 years of waiting to save up for the ticket.

I disputed a 27km over ticket ($175) on hwy1, i recieved the ticket in sept 2000 and I havent heard word since. I am sure it will come eventually, but i already saved up the cash just in case.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
jonathan said:
always dispute your ticket. it is your right, the worst that can happen is you get 2 years of waiting to save up for the ticket.

I disputed a 27km over ticket ($175) on hwy1, i recieved the ticket in sept 2000 and I havent heard word since. I am sure it will come eventually, but i already saved up the cash just in case.
I don't know if you caught my post on another forum (who can remember which one anymore?:confused ) but any ticket that was written in 2000 and has not been dealt with by now is deemed to be in violation of our constitution right to a speedy trial. Now be very careful about how you deal with this and admit no guilt whatsoever. I believe you can go to the courthouse on the front of the ticket and get it "killed" but in my opinion it would probably be better to wait until the hearing date is set, then go before the judge and make your argument for dismissal. Remember to make the call for dismissal BEFORE the hearing starts, it will be at the point that the judge asks you how you wish to deal with this matter.

I'm glad to hear that there's a back-up that long in the Chilliwack Highway Patrol system, because 've got one from last summer, and maybe mine will be delayed that long too.:D

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Xenz, you're a lucky guy. I'd have thought 160km/h off the Pattullo onto Columbia would have gotten you a trip to the can.:spinsmile Getting "off" with an excessive and failure to produce is a damn bargain. However, don't accept the fact that the cop is doing you a favour as the end of the story. You still have the right to your day in court. It's not important whether you "did it" or not, the important thing is that you've been given the chance for something to happen in the system, and you should take it. However in your position, I would not try to defend yourself when you get there. The judge may take a dim view of soembody who got an excessive at 160 in a 30. (Ooh, you ba-a-a-d!):eek

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
jonathan said:

This is something that I disagree with. If your at fault, be a man and pay the damn ticket. Did you know that the RCMP doesn't replace to constable when he goes to court. It means one less constable on the street for that time period. They don't get overtime and their just doing their job.Don't get me wrong, I not a lover of the beans but we could focus our tax dollars to more productive things. If you went in and disputed every ticket, it ties up the courts and waste tax payers' money all because you think you don't deserve it for going 100kph above the limit. The money allocated to the courts can be better used if people just owned up to the responsibilties. Nobody made you speed!

I'm not saying don't speed, just pick your spots and if you do the crime, do the time.

BTW: 160 in a 30.....you lucked out bigtime.

my .02

atom

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
atomlowe said:

This is something that I disagree with. If your at fault, be a man and pay the damn ticket. Did you know that the RCMP doesn't replace to constable when he goes to court. It means one less constable on the street for that time period. They don't get overtime and their just doing their job.Don't get me wrong, I not a lover of the beans but we could focus our tax dollars to more productive things. If you went in and disputed every ticket, it ties up the courts and waste tax payers' money all because you think you don't deserve it for going 100kph above the limit. The money allocated to the courts can be better used if people just owned up to the responsibilties. Nobody made you speed!

I'm not saying don't speed, just pick your spots and if you do the crime, do the time.
atom
I agree with you to a point, Atom. If you were to get busted for the speeding and then moved on with your life, I have no problem with the ticket. In fact, it would be cheaper not to fight it it. But you get the ticket, you pay, you buy insurance, you pay again, you get another ticket, you pay for the first one again when they asses your penalty points. Then when you get a few, they yank your license. HEY, I PAID FOR THE OTHERS ALREADY:1up :1up :1up :1up

This is not a fair system! I would gladly pay for my transgressions ONCE, but to have to keep seeing them come up in punitive fees and charges years down the road is WRONG!!!

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
My story:

Got married last year.. a week before the wedding I thought it might be a good idea to get my passport as we were going to Cuba for our honeymoon (procrastinating guy as per usual). So I'm doing about 160-180 over the Granville St. bridge going downtown and fly by a cop (un-marked car). So WAY down at the end of Seymour (say just past Georgia) he finally catches up to me and pulls me over.

"Did you know how fast you were going?" says the copper also asking for licsense.

"Uhh.. 50-60?" :D

"Uhh.. your not serious right? I was doing 60 and you were a blur past me"

"Oh" I said..

"Where you going in such a hurry?"

"Well, I have to go get my passport, and the passport office I'm told is super busy"

"You leaving us?" he asks.

"Uhh.. <smirking> well, I'm going on my honeymoon.. I'm getting married on Saturday"

At this point he hands back my licenses and says, "You just got your first wedding present, slow it down"

<pfew>

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Hu99 said:

This is not a fair system! I would gladly pay for my transgressions ONCE, but to have to keep seeing them come up in punitive fees and charges years down the road is WRONG!!!
I completely agree with you with the points you mentioned. I just don't agree with people that dispute ever ticket they recieve. Its a waste of money, resources, and time.

If a little more care was taken, you may not find yourself in that position. You put yourself in whatever position, just own up to it...

But yes, our system is flawed...if the system was changed to have the fines punitive (sp?) and the point system removed, that may then be alot more fair. It will hurt the pocketbook, but you wouldn't be paying for it over the next couple years.

I also believe that insurance should be based on experience, accidents. Speeding tickets should not be an issue unless you have been involved in an accident directly related to the ticket issued. (does that make sense:confused )

atom

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yes, I lucked out big time this one :p and I have chosen to pay for the ticket. I thought of disputing the ticket, but I just can't face a nice cop like that if he ever show up in court. I thought about if I was in his shoe and got a notice to show up in court because that punk dispute the ticket, I will be damn tick off and blame myself why I didn't write him a huge ticket at that moment, and I won't be that nice to biker next time. I earn what I did, I should pay for the price, in fact, I would pay $58 instead of $500+5 pts any day. ;)

And you bet I won't forget New West Columbia street is 30km/h from now on !!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
xenz said:
Yes, I lucked out big time this one :p and I have chosen to pay for the ticket. I thought of disputing the ticket, but I just can't face a nice cop like that if he ever show up in court. I thought about if I was in his shoe and got a notice to show up in court because I dispute the ticket, I will be damn tick off and blame myself why I didn't write him a huge ticket at that moment, and I won't be that nice to biker next time. I earn what I did, I should pay for the price, in fact, I would pay $58 instead of $600+5 pts any day. ;)

And you bet I won't forget New West main street is 30km/h from now on !!
I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention. I thought you got the $58 PLUS a reduced fine for speeding. If all you got was $58, I would come over and smack you if you fought it....j/k:D :D

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
xenz said:

ok, now I'm afraid of riding to the meeting on the 21st, I guess I'll drive there instead.
Why are you worried. Ride man, maybe we could meet for a quick rip before the dinner.

atom

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
You shouldn't be afriad of riding to the meeting, if anything you've learnt your lesson. I, on the other hand, am still a stupid squid who will probably forget the 30km/h limit on Columbia St.:cool

·
resident monkey boy
806 Posts
damn guys save the speeding for the track!!! heck i shouldn't talk considering i was hitting about 160 or so with jonathan and canadian gixxer the other day:D but i my defence i don't do it often

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
atomlowe said:

BTW: 160 in a 30.....you lucked out bigtime.

my .02

atom
I couldn't agree more if you can't afford the fine then don't do the crime. If you were given a ticket for something you didn't do then by all means fight it but if your guilty do not waste my tax dollars fighting something your guilty of. In my opinion people who waste the polices time and my tax dollars in court fees to fight legit tickets are no better then the people that rip off wefare or other government programs.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Quasi said:

I couldn't agree more if you can't afford the fine then don't do the crime. If you were given a ticket for something you didn't do then by all means fight it but if your guilty do not waste my tax dollars fighting something your guilty of. In my opinion people who waste the polices time and my tax dollars in court fees to fight legit tickets are no better then the people that rip off wefare or other government programs.
Do I smell flames?

·
I'm back
1,947 Posts
LOL.......Heh never meant it to be like that. That subject really burns me, anyway if you wanna flame me go ahead thats how I feel. :)

My reasoning behind my statement was that people who fraud welfare are taking advantage of a publicly (sp?) funded system and using it in a way it wasn't intended. People who fight non BS tickets are taking advantage of a publicly funded system therefore I place them on the same level. Our tax dollars are stretched far enough as it is no need in wasting more tax dollars especially if you were the one who put your self in that position.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts