BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Fixing a non-running bike

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  adamantium 
G
#1 ·
There's an ad in the Buyand sell for a '91 gsxr750 that has been in storage for over two years and isn't running. Assuming everything is there but just not properly stored, how difficult whould it be to get the engine going again? How much would it cost me? Asking price is 3100.

#2 · (Edited)
If it hasn't been crashed that's not a bad price but it's not great. It's a 91 after all. But from what I saw when looking for a track toy that's about right for our market. Sounds like all up you could be on the road for about $4k if you did the work yourself. Otherwise I wouldn't bother. With the shop charges you'll be into it for more than the bike is worth. Better to find a runner for a few hundred more.

Carbs will need to be cleaned and some jets or valve seats might need replacing. Do it yourself, about $100 to 150. Shop- about $250-300.

Change oil and filter obviously. Check chain out for rusty links. $180 is new one needed. New tires if your riding style is more aggresive. It's a sportbike and tires get hard and slippery in storage. Two years doesn't sound like much but when you get down near peg scraping territory it can make a BIG difference. Oh, and a new battery for sure, about $80.

And most important. SERVICE THE BRAKING SYSTEM. Flush new fluid through. Ride it for a couple of hundred Km's and then flush again completely. The riding inbetween gets the stale fluid out of the corners. If the brakes still seem to drag on the discs or it doesn't feel quite right then have the whole system rebuilt. Yourself $100 to 150 for parts. Shop- $300 to 400.

If you go for a look at it be sure the engine isn't frozen. Notch it up to about 4th or 5th, get one of you on the bike and the other pushes up to a fast walk and the rider lets out the clutch. The engine should turn over with a couple of "lumpa-lumpa" sounds. If the back wheel just locks and drags in 4th , 5th and 6th then it's frozen. 1st or 2nd won't work for this test. The engine has too much leverage in those gears and the wheel will just lock. Do it in a higher gear.

Sounds like a good do it yourself project since you already have a bike. Get the factory service manual and learn. Between here and SBN you can get lots of help.

Track and Stuntz bike? :D

#4 ·
Bluestone said:
There's an ad in the Buyand sell for a '91 gsxr750 that has been in storage for over two years and isn't running. Assuming everything is there but just not properly stored, how difficult whould it be to get the engine going again? How much would it cost me? Asking price is 3100.
Don't you already got 2 bikes, now looking at a 3rd? Must be nice :)

G
#5 ·
I've actually only got one bike. The 250 is being sold so I can pay for the new bike that i just bought, and i'm just out in the market looking for something I can take to the track or just do some stricks on....i don't really know if i can afford it, just browsing.....

#7 ·
Bluestone said:
I've actually only got one bike. The 250 is being sold so I can pay for the new bike that i just bought, and i'm just out in the market looking for something I can take to the track or just do some stricks on....i don't really know if i can afford it, just browsing.....
Thats cool, hope you find something. Least your looking now, pretty quick prices are going to start to rise.

#8 ·
Bluestone said:
Hey Bruce, I just found an add for a 97 CBR 900 for $5000 obo. I don't know hondas too well. Isn't that the Fireblade? Sounds like it might have been in an accident, eh?
Ya thatz low for a 97. But if you're looking for a track/trickz bike a couple of crackz or scratchz won't matter, will it. As long az itz good mechanically.

(I think I'm gonna have to seal up the "z" key. I'm getting az bad az you guyz :laughing )

#9 ·
Bluestone, if you'll notice the Fireblade is in 99% of the stunt videos for a reason. There's lots of parts available and the bike doesn't know how to do anything except wheelie. :D

Great bikes, and a HUGE trunk. Well.. anything is big compared to be business card holder trunk, but it really is big, I could fit a jacket in there.

And it does seem a little low, but it might have higher milage and/or a few dings.

#11 ·
No, I'm just a packrat. I like to bring stuff with me wherever I go, my pockets are always full of stuff and it makes me bulge in places I don't want to.. :eek :laughing

Usually what I like to bring:

Wallet
Cigar
Digital Camera
Kyptonite Lock
Cell phone
Pager

And if I want to bring anything else, I'm more or less screwed!!

I've seen other peoples trunks, and I'm jealous!!!
That '98 Fireblade I almost bought, well the trunk alone almost sold me on it. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.