BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with these bikes? Reviews rave about them. Want to see what the real world thinks :)

Thanks

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Guy on the Cali ride has one and he is treacherously fast. Skill and power I guess. But it is 600 lbs.

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
If you want some useful feedback, PM member David Morrow on here; I think he has 200k+ on an FJR.

·
Registered
8,650 Posts
my best friend is in the market for one.. hopefully he'll pull the trigger by spring...

they're amazing.. i've had a guy pass a group of us on sportbikes between princeton & merrit..

we weren't taking it easy either.. he just blasted past us in the twisties... never saw him again!!.. damn impressive..

YAMAHA reliability and workmanship, cant go wrong...

not much oomph for that size engine though... 130HP at the wheel.. tonnes of torque though... interesting for an i4..

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
I used to have one. Great bike really,,,,nice engine,,,heavy, comfortable, reliable. It is not a sportbike, but as a sport touring bike, it is a great one, now of course long on the tooth compared to more modern sport tourers. Avoid pre:2006 models, as there were definitely heat dispersal issues, which cooked the operators private parts. I sold mine basically because this bike is made for someone less than 6' tall. My legs got terribly cramped.

Steve

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
OHH YAH forgot... look at 2007 and up... thats what my buddy is looking for...

do you were cramped on that thing steve!? hmm... my buddy is 6.2' i think....
Yeah, I'm 6'3",,,,biggest problem for me anyways,,I like my feet right below my hips, the FJR puts your feet forward below your knees, if you know what I mean. Didn't work for me, always pulling myself forward on the bars, I like a 5-10 degree lean forward with feet underneath.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah, I'm 6'3",,,,biggest problem for me anyways,,I like my feet right below my hips, the FJR puts your feet forward below your knees, if you know what I mean. Didn't work for me, always pulling myself forward on the bars, I like a 5-10 degree lean forward with feet underneath.
Hmm I spent a week on one down in California ,I'm 6'4 and I loved it. My buddy was on a Conny14 and we traded from
Time to time I couldn't wait to get back on the FJR. I did find myself wishing for a taller windshield though.

I think a test ride is in order for the OP.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had a 2006 and ended up selling it due to terrible fuel mapping issues which Yamaha weren't able to address. I did all the tinkering/mods suggested on the forums. This was a common issue at the time which I assume has been rectified long ago. Otherwise nice bike and yes......fast. I'm 6'2" - 200 pounds and had no issues with comfort or excess heat which plagued earlier models.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I purchased a 2003 in Sept 2002 and loved every minute I owned it. The first mod I did was to put a Corbin seat on it, that got rid of most of my heat problems, then I put on a power commander that got rid of the fuel mapping. Put on ton's of miles on it, yes it might be heavy, but it's a SPORT TOURING bike not a crotch rocket. I'm 6' 1" with a 34" inseam and had no discomfort when riding 700km a day rides. I'd recommend an FJR to anyone, as noted in earlier posts there are other brands out there now, and Triumph is bringing out a new sport touring model in a few months, it might be worth checking out.

DaveS

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought a 2003 in May and have put 6k on it.

-My only complaint is the choppy throttle mapping, however I understand adding a power commander solves the problem.
-Yes, the bike puts off heat on my lower legs but my old F4 was really hot to be sitting on when stopped in traffic in August as well so nothing new here.
-650lbs wet(1st gen fjr) makes it 50% heavier than your average rocket, this must be considered before operating at mach 1

The bike has a monster carrying capacity and with 100lbs of torque you won't even notice that you're carrying anything. It is designed to be ridden fast and far(25L fuel tank)

If SPORT touring is your game, this is your bike.

·
Poser Emeritus
2,729 Posts
My wife bought one of the first 2006's that arrived in NA, she sold it last year to a friend of ours with 85,000 km.

It was a great bike she rode it cross continent numerous times , the 2006 FJR was the big update year ABS brakes, heat management issues solved.

At just under 5' 5" she had the suspension modified (lowered Ohlins shock) front forks dropped in the triple trip to the bump stop, custom seat.

It was a superb bike but once my wife's age passed the double nickel she found the bike just too heavy. She did three solo cross continent trips on it and rode it to bike week and back, including snow in Texas and the Siskiyous.

I would ride one in a heartbeat but like Steve G I am too tall for it.

In my view it is a far better motorcycle than my BMW K1200GT and the FJR runs on regular gas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts