BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of you won't consider the FJS a sports bike but it's the nearest I've come to riding a "real" sports bike, I guess it's a sports tourer. I've had lots of bikes though, all standards. Anyway, I took one for a test ride today - Barnet hwy, Balcara, Bunsen etc, and thought it was a hoot, Scenery quickly turned to a blurr along with the flashing lights behind me. It has double the HP of any bike I'd previously ridden (150).

I'm considering buying one and looking for comments from owners or others with experience/insight on the bike. The only negatives I noticed was the heat, I stopped to see if there was a problem with the bike and burned my hand on the frame (doh), and my arms/wrists got tired but both of these issues may be common to all sports type bikes, I'll do more bench presses.
Thanks for any insight.

·
Ridin hard n dirty
4,080 Posts
Had an older one for a while....It was a very nice bike with no problems...not a lot of other bikes like it back then...more of a sit up than the R6 or R1...looking back I wish I had it again...does just what it was made to do...sport touring...go fast and carry stuff..
What year you looking at?

·
Ride Solo
4,218 Posts
I've noticed that there is a nice FJR1300 with a for sale sign that is often parked in front of Mertin GM in Chilliwack. I could grab the phone # next time I see it if you're interested.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've noticed that there is a nice FJR1300 with a for sale sign that is often parked in front of Mertin GM in Chilliwack. I could grab the phone # next time I see it if you're interested.
That'd be great, I'd apprciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm considering buying one of these too. I'm getting tired of the 'interesting' handling characteristics of my Vmax. :laughing
Thanks for the Councours info, I just may consider one of those :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re: FJR1300

I bought my 2003 FJR1300 brand new in Sept 2002 and haven't regretted buying it once. The bike does everything I want it to do and more. I have a single wheeled trailer that we tow behind the bike when my wife and I go on holidays. Take the side bags off and you've got yourself a 138 hp sport crotch rocket, it might not be as fast as the smaller bikes but you'll be a lot more comforatable on it. Check out the Buy & Sell, there are a few really good deals in there for used ones. Believe me, if you get one you wont regret the purchase.

DaveS

·
total wanker!
146 Posts
Most of you won't consider the FJS a sports bike but it's the nearest I've come to riding a "real" sports bike, I guess it's a sports tourer. I've had lots of bikes though, all standards. Anyway, I took one for a test ride today - Barnet hwy, Balcara, Bunsen etc, and thought it was a hoot, Scenery quickly turned to a blurr along with the flashing lights behind me. It has double the HP of any bike I'd previously ridden (150).

I'm considering buying one and looking for comments from owners or others with experience/insight on the bike. The only negatives I noticed was the heat, I stopped to see if there was a problem with the bike and burned my hand on the frame (doh), and my arms/wrists got tired but both of these issues may be common to all sports type bikes, I'll do more bench presses.
Thanks for any insight.
I've had mine since 03 ... best all around bike I've ever owned. Re the heat - NEVER ride in sneaks... if you get caught in traffic you'll fry your ankles. Also check the net for heat mitigation strategies - they help. And the stock seat is crap for touring, I put a Sargent on mine. Good Luck!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a 2004 with ABS brakes, 70,000 kms. It's been a great bike.
Would buy another.. Have run it at Boundary Bay and used it at the ART course. SS1000 and BB1500 on the bike. It's the current bike of choice in the Iron Butt Community.

It's the sportest of the sport touring bikes by far and maintance is a breeze.
A oil change and gear oil take 15 minutes and no special tools or plastic to remove.

Check out:

www.fjrforum.com
http://www.fjr1300.info/

Mark
Fjr eh

Mark

·
Posing with conviction
5,397 Posts
Like everyone sez. Fastest/most powerful of the sport tourers. Good deals available as it has been around for a few years.

Sore wrists?! What are you talking about? :) Pretty upright posture for a sportbike. You should try using an R1 as a sport tourer. Then you can really talk convincingly about sore wrists.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
You guys & your weak wrists. . .. .

I've ridden with Torch from Abby on his 1300 and he seems to love the thing, no problem in the corners and he'd pull away from me like any other litre sportbike.

·
Posing with conviction
5,397 Posts
It's the only bag system available for the R1. They don't make a GIVI system for it and that would look even more ridiculous if they did.

I actually seriously considered getting an FJR as I do like to long distance ride but I was just too taken with the R1's ride characteristics to let it go. Life is full of sacrifices and my cross is that bag system.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to everyone for their comments and links to the Concours site etc. The positive comments here, my test ride, as well as the great reviews in the mags have pretty much convinced me to pick up a Buy and Sell and do some searching. Thanks again, it's this sort of feedback that make forums such a great place. feliz.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Unless you're absolutely set on an FJR , consider the 2001-2005 FZ1. Fitted with a hard case on the back and a couple of soft saddle bags, it'll be a good performer. I've modded mine with a custom seat, Krauser K5 hard case and taller screen. 800km/day ride is no issue.

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/index.php

1 - 18 of 18 Posts