BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a second GSX-R. Unlike my 750, this one is a 600 and is exclusively for the track. Along with the new bike I purchased a set of race leathers and new race boots.

After the first track day (a little over a month ago), I noticed that my left leg was numb below the knee - particularly on the outer calf, right down to the foot. By the end of the day, I was no longer able to upshift: the muscles used to pull the foot up were completely useless.

Anyway, the doctor mentioned "compartmentalization syndrome": a condition where the small spaces between the muscles and nerves fill with fluid (swelling, from overusing the muscles) and the nearby nerves are therefore pinched off. His suggestion was to continue riding, and if it got worse, let him know. He mentioned that over time (8-12 weeks) the feeling should start returning to the lower left leg.

A month later it was time for another track day. The feeling hadn't returned to the lower left leg, but since I had just bought the new track bike, I actually wanted to make use of it! Although by the end of this second track day, I had an obvious case of foot drop / foot slap, rendering my left foot completely useless. Needless to say, I haven't walked normally since. Fortunately, the condition is improving over time. Now when I walk, it's harder for people to notice that the foot doesn't function properly. On a good note, the Doctors say I'm fortunate because many people with foot drop are actually paralyzed for life.

So my question for the forum is this: has anyone ever experienced this riding-induced foot drop? And if so, what [if anything] have you done about it?

Since I've owned a GSX-R750 for a couple of years now, and have never experienced this condition, I'm assuming that there's either something different with the riding geometry (foot peg positioning) on the new track bike, OR the race leathers and/or boots are causing a pinch somewhere...?

If anyone else has had experience with this, or has any suggestions, please offer your input - I don't want to sell my bikes because I can't upshift anymore!

Thanks!

·
must have more bacon
5,434 Posts
maybe your leathers are too tight and are cutting off the circulation to your leg

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,829 Posts
one word: yoga

·
Registered
653 Posts
this regularly happens to me after a long session of soccer. i think i read up on a bit and it's kind of like a "Dorsal somethingsomething..." because our foot basically acts like a dorsal fin as it flops around.

my coworker mentioned something about shin splints and not having the right arch support for your feet. have you looked at wearing insoles in your shoes? Maybe it's time to get a second opinion? Ask your doctor if he can refer to you a physiotherapist or someone specialized in feet? I can't imagine it lasting for more than a month. The longest mine ever lasted for was a day, but then again i'm pretty young so I heal pretty fast...

I haven't done anything to correct it yet. If I wanted to, I know on my to do list was to get some proper insoles

some quick googling came up with this and it mentions CS http://kinetichealthcalgary.blogspot.ca/2012/01/shin-splints-symptoms-causes-diagnosis.html

keep us updated man. :( get well soon...

edit: obligatory, just quit ridin, i'll buy those gsxr's of yours for three ninty nine.

·
Registered
806 Posts
:flip :flip :flip welcome to BCSB Itsallgood ! :flip :flip :flip

...shitty news about the leg though, glad its not me!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DNAspark99, you're my hero! ;)

And s2upid, thanks for the link. You may be on to something regarding the insoles. Turns out the boots are actually a little too big for me, so there's a gap between the top of my foot and the upper portion of the boot. An insole would definitely minimize that gap, requiring less upward travel of the foot before it contacts the boot, and before the boot ultimately applies pressure to the shifter.. I wonder if that could have contributed to the condition by making the muscles on the top of the foot work harder, and causing them to swell more..? Worth a shot! Thanks man.

And thanks Saskford. I'm glad it's not you as well! I wouldn't wish this on any one - especially those who enjoy being active and who are excited about riding.

·
Dam I got old fast
1,027 Posts
I've got a reconstructed knee and have to wear a gen-2 brace when it decides to torture me, wearing the brace to much put's pressure on the nerve outside back of the knee and if I wear it to much I get severe numbness outside lower leg and outside foot and drop foot.
It never completely returns to normal and always have partial loss of feeling but I have got control of my foot back so now when it flares up I don't keep going I sit and ICE the knee and take it easy until I can walk more normal.
I have fallen badly when my foot and leg were numb and I don't want to fuck myself up any worse.

Check your leathers that they aren't putting pressure on the nerve bundle it's about 1 cm towards centre from the outside back corner of your knee, good luck, my leg often feels like it's covered in wax I just don't feel much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FZrrr, that's exactly what I'm experiencing. You're right, it's like the leg is covered in wax.I went to another Doctor yesterday, hoping for a referral to see a Physiotherapist. Surprisingly, this Doctor said to NOT go for physio. He said to not do any exercises or stretching... Just leave the foot/leg alone. By doing this, it'll hopefully begin to heal and perhaps weeks (or months!) later it'll be back to normal! Only then am I to attempt to ride again. So much for this season... Lol.. He said if a person doesn't give it a chance to heal fully, the next time it may be a permanent condition :| (If it isn't already).Thanks for the specific location of the nerve bundle FZrrr; I've been trying to locate it from pictures online.Hopefully your nerves get a better chance to heal without that brace doing more damage. This foot drop issue is apparently pretty serious, so be careful with that brace - it could be doing more harm than good.Thanks for the post!

·
NOOOOOB
2,631 Posts
Went to a few track days at pitt meadows. i would have leg cramps/loss of any feeling below my knee, would develop when track was going clock wise. So bad, I would just pull off, rest and then come back on.

Decided to actually work out over the spring, it's helped alot.

Also at the parking lot practise sessions, i'm trying to ride the bike with less hand input and leg pressure on the pegs, get my core to do the hardwork.

·
resu deretsigeR
158 Posts
I had similar issues because of a shoulder injury.. my left palm, 3 fingers, wrist at times and back of my forearm were numb for months, couldnt feel them at all. Found out it was a build up of scar tissue from my injuries that were irritating a nerve bank on top, and below my shoulder joint... so I kept going to physio for IFC (interferrential current) and regular ultrasounds, found out from my 3rd opinion surgeon who operates on athletes around the world, I should probably have a surgery to clear things up and have a look around just to be sure. I was hesitant on the surgery just becaise theres possibilities of the numbness staying permanently, things could get worse, or it would completely clear up.. with a 5% chance things would worsen, I had 3 weeks to think about it, got the surgery, and Im glad I did. 100% feeling returned soon as I woke up from surgery 8 weeks ago.
Just sayin your docs probably right about the fluid, second opinion wouldnt hurt? Im all about 2nd and 3rd opinions, every doctor out theres gonna say something different thats why I did..
good luck with yours.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Iiinteresting, Haywire. Glad to hear the surgery did the trick! A registered massage therapist called me back today to offer his advise. Essentially he agreed with the Doctor: leave the thing alone completely. If the feeling doesn't return over a couple of months, let them go ahead and operate to release the pressure in the affected compartment(s). Like yourself, it may restore the feeling and actually eliminate future reoccurrences induced by riding. That'd be nice...!!Based on your success, surgery sounds like a promising option...Now if only I can pinpoint what caused the paralysis in the first place!!If/when I get this sorted out, I'll give an update for others who may have encountered this riding-induced foot drop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts