BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i was going some searches on the net and all for falling but didnt turn up much.

What is your first reaction when you bail going over 50km/hr. If you lowside it do you try to hold on, or do you kick out the bike?. And if you go ass over tea kettle do you try to roll up in a ball and roll out of it, or try to make a jump off whatever footing you can get on the bike.

^__________^
 

·
Fastronaut
Joined
·
6,508 Posts
Don't stay with the bike. You're lighter so you'll stop first. Also if it starts flipping you'll be sorry!

As for how to fall and not get hurt, take a Judo course.
 

·
Poser Emeritus
Joined
·
2,731 Posts
Driftland said:
Hey guys, i was going some searches on the net and all for falling but didnt turn up much.

What is your first reaction when you bail going over 50km/hr. If you lowside it do you try to hold on, or do you kick out the bike?. And if you go ass over tea kettle do you try to roll up in a ball and roll out of it, or try to make a jump off whatever footing you can get on the bike.

^__________^
In my case, I do not remember leaving the bike ( I think it left me). If you snow ski you will know when you fall that you have the same feeling of detachment coming of a bike. It wasn't until I was slidng on my back and ass down the track ( thank you Aerostitch) that I even realized I had fallen.

I did have a weird experience of looking between my feet as I slid and watching my bike do it's own thing (endo, spins and big flops)

The best things that happened in my crash was I had good gear on, was on a track and was extremely lucky.

YMMV
 

·
Ya, whatever.
Joined
·
669 Posts
My first thoughts have been "Idiot!...ummmppphh" I have been fortunate to not have been sent ass over tea kettle. I did manage to break my leg in a very unimpressive low speed front end tuck. I did finish the race though. I got supermoto slider boots after that then learned how to ride knee out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Once you are sliding, try and spread your arms and legs out to prevent tumbling. Sliding is no big deal, tumbling can realy bust some stuff up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
900 SS said:
Once you are sliding, try and spread your arms and legs out to prevent tumbling. Sliding is no big deal, tumbling can realy bust some stuff up.
This only works after you've slowed down a little. If you spread your arms out and then you start to tumble, you can count on several broken bones. If you watch videos of racers, especially Motogp, when they come off the bike they cross their arms in front themselves and hold them there. Sometimes they just slide and sometimes they barrel roll but they usually don't get hurt. That being said, if you're going fast on the street, no body position will help you if you hit a parked car or a light pole.
As for me, when I crash on the track, I have this uncanny ability to always land on my head, and even in seemingly tame lowsides, I tend to light bikes on fire on a regular basis.
 

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
Joined
·
4,722 Posts
Whatever you do, don't try to stand up until you're absolutely sure you're done sliding. You can really hurt yourself trying to stand while still tumbling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,971 Posts
There's some more info here.

It's from a site with riding tips.

DO NOT TRY TO BREAK YOUR FALL WITH YOUR HANDS!!! In other words, try to impact with as much of your body at the same time as possible.

If you are doing a lowside the bike is ahead of you and you want it to stay that way. Since the coefficient of friction between you and the ground/asphalt is higher than of a metal motorcycle, you want to get as much of your body on the ground at the same time as you can to slow you as quickly as possible so the bike will slide away from you. In other words, arms over head, feet first, butt down. Stay LOOSE (relaxed, in as large a configuration as possible.) LET GO OF THE MOTORCYCLE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!

If you are doing a highside you will be in front of the bike when you hit the ground. You want to move as fast as possible - in the same direction you were going and for as long as you can - in order to try to avoid getting crushed. In other words, you want to 'tuck' and roll as soon as you can after you hit the ground. Stay TIGHT (in as small a configuration as possible.)

Before you try to get up after taking a spill you must be sure that you have come to a stop first! Wait a couple of seconds until you are sure.
 

·
Gear whore
Joined
·
2,922 Posts
a lot of times, crashes happen so fast you don't really have time to plan anything. in some cases, you can feel it coming but before you know it, you're on the ground sliding on your ass. The bike slides away from you pretty quickly on a lowside, so you don't have to try to "kick" it away or anything.

It's probably best if you're sliding on your back or your ass, try to keep your head up and enjoy the ride :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awsome tips guys, ill keep it in mind while I ride, and sort of reitorate it over and over and hopefully ill do it out of impulse.

:thumbup
 

·
Why me?
Joined
·
875 Posts
I've seen pavement aboout a dozen times on the track and I still haven't figured it out. I wouldn't worry about it if you're on the street cause the car in the other lane will probably run over you first b4 you have time to figure out what's going on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
Comforting words.

slipknot said:
I've seen pavement aboout a dozen times on the track and I still haven't figured it out. I wouldn't worry about it if you're on the street cause the car in the other lane will probably run over you first b4 you have time to figure out what's going on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,971 Posts
Driftland said:
Awsome tips guys, ill keep it in mind while I ride, and sort of reitorate it over and over and hopefully ill do it out of impulse.

:thumbup
Practice falling off regularily in an empty parking lot! j/k ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
As a veteran dirt bike bailer, I have an aversion to downing it on asphalt. I find that the hands go out instinctively (but usually mistakenly). After a quick "F**********!!!" and trying to keep my arms in, I just try and keep tucked and avoid oncoming tires, poles, etc. Get the bike far away...they hurt when they land on you!!
 
A

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Tattoodles said:
Whatever you do, don't try to stand up until you're absolutely sure you're done sliding. You can really hurt yourself trying to stand while still tumbling.
Or you can do a series of spectacular cartwheels, the likes of which you could never have accomplished under your own power (so my accident-prone boyfriend tells me). :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,666 Posts
Antares said:
Or you can do a series of spectacular cartwheels, the likes of which you could never have accomplished under your own power (so my accident-prone boyfriend tells me). :)
Hey, those are my words. When did we start dating?

Focker said:
Just relax and enjoy the ride.
Yes.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top