BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
OMFG Must Win At Tag
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find the from suspension on my SV 650 a little squishy, especially under breaking.

Many SV 650 forums say I should put 20w fork oil in as the stock is just 5w (what they call rusty water).

Just wondering where to get better oil, and if you think this will help.

thanks Jesse:imwithstu

·
The Wizard
2,743 Posts
Most shops sell it, Belray, Motul among others make it.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Thicker oil isn't really the answer. It'll slow down how long it takes to dive by a little but it'll still dive just as far.

The budget priced answer for the SV is springs AND thicker fork oil. That should be your first step. Springs are around $200 to $250. Do the springs and oil and you'll love your bike as though it's new all over again. But soon you'll realize that the rear end isn't holding up it's part of the bargain. SO then the trick budget setup is a late model ZX6R shock. It's a direct bolt in. ANd with a bit of patience you can get one off ebay for under $100.

If you can't possibly do the Racetech springs at this time then do the oil but while the cap is off find a bit of plastic or metal tubing that can be used as additional preload spacers and cut off two nice square ended pieces that are 3 cms long. Put these in between the washer on the top of the spring and the top cap. You'll have to push on the top caps harder to get them to screw in. Be sure to keep the pressure consistent for the first 4 or 5 turns of the cap. Then you can use the thread to suck it down.

There's certainly more you can do beyond this. The quick preload fix and even the Racetech springs are just the beginning. THen there's Racetech cartridge emulator valving for the forks. Modified or Racetech valving for the shock. A full Gixxer 600 front end transplant. Ohlins..... :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
4/5 w Elf goes in my gixxer. anything heavier, and the forks dont work. buy some springs. better yet, get rid of the stock forks (get a pair u can adjust the preload with out using a hack saw and also where u can adjust compression and rebound!)

·
Registered
33 Posts
What year is your SV?
We can do a few things that work very well in the forks and you don't need to go to shorter Gixxer forks. Springs yes and they are only $140.00, Traxxion damper rod and emulator kit $350.00 plus labour. And on the rear I have a Penske Sport Shock for $800.00 that works sweet.

·
back on the street
1,832 Posts
I get all my suspension work done at RMR......

Now if I could just learn to ride the damn thing a little faster... :rolleyes

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
.... Springs yes and they are only $140.00,......
Really? WOW, that's what I paid for my springs on the race bike 5 years ago. I'd assumed that they would have gone up.

There ya go. At that price you can't say no! The damper rod/emulator would be sweet but I found that just springs and thicker oil on my Honda gave more or less an 80% solution. Of course depending on the SV innard YMMV. It just depends on how far you want to go with it.

·
OMFG Must Win At Tag
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys guess i'll ride out the season and fix it next spring...
$800 for the rear? damn anything cheaper? do i really need to do the rear if im just concerned about the dive when i break.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts