BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to pick up a set of frame sliders for a 2001 Yamaha R6 and I've come across quite alot of brands. I've been told that "intuitive" is trustworlthy, but I've come across a brand called ricochet that's really different. They've chosen a different route interms of construction. Has anyone herd or tried these at all, and if so are they any good. What do you guys/gals recommend?

Ricochet dealer:
http://www.tricktape.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=458

Cheers

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I think as long as they work, they can't be that bad.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I prefer woodcraft. They have replaceable slider pucks that are not hallow in the centre. They have 40% more surface area and hold up very well in a crash. For about $15 more than the regular ones, they are more than worth the money.
http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=12746

We bring these in all the time and have never had a complaint.

·
Gear whore
2,922 Posts
the woodcraft ones look good. Intuitive has worked well for me however. For some reason, i would stay away from shogun.

·
Got Hammer?
5,552 Posts
They're all pretty good.

A couple things that are a must in my experience:

Direct, sturdy mount: That means no brackets between the slider and your bike except a simple spacer. Excess length and offset brackets give the pavement the extra leverage it needs to heave your bike airborn or mangle the mounting points (frame and engine). Stay away from no-cuts that require brackets to get around the fairing and sliders that attach to really stupid areas like fairing bolts.

Delin, Delrin, Delrin: Aluminum sliders do two things; they transfer a pile of energy to your mounting points and they have a higher coefficient of friction with pavement which can bend the bolt and/or mount (frame, engine) and toss your bike airborn (or a combination thereof). I haven't seen a set of sliders without one but some sort of aluminum insert pressed into the mount is a must as well.

Also look at the length. Get them as long as you can to protect your fairings in a low speed crash but avoid stupid long. Buy what works. Some obscure brands may be ok but if you see a lot of race bikes sporting a particular slider, it's because they work. Sliders aren't rocket science to design and make but the well known brands are the most likely to use good design, and hardware.

My favorite commercially available sliders are Woodcraft but I've also had really good first and second hand experience with Shogun, Vortex, and Intuitive

·
Ridin' Dirty
852 Posts
My framesliders worked the first time and when ICBC had the shop replace them they put on the short stubby plastic crap things! Bastards! :gun Ranting always helps...they came to my house and replaced them with the good ones. Lowside.ca
Here's to hoping you'll never have to use them

·
Now accepting DONATIONS!
425 Posts
I'm thinking that listening to some peeps like gixxstar is a GREAT idea...those sliders you liked to look cool but I don't think I'd like to try 'em in a real crash scenario. I just don't know how strong those two smaller bolts would be with the shallow depth into the mounting plate. Just my thoughts....but in the end, I'd suggest going with either Intuitive (what's on my bike) or woodcraft. Both very proven and good quality products!

Pete

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I like to use my fairings as sliders...

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
the prob with sliders is they can sometimes bend your frame

·
Gear whore
2,922 Posts
PilotPete said:
I'm thinking that listening to some peeps like gixxstar is a GREAT idea...those sliders you liked to look cool but I don't think I'd like to try 'em in a real crash scenario. I just don't know how strong those two smaller bolts would be with the shallow depth into the mounting plate. Just my thoughts....but in the end, I'd suggest going with either Intuitive (what's on my bike) or woodcraft. Both very proven and good quality products!

Pete
+1 listen to Rob. How many times have you had to "test" your sliders Rob? j/k :laughing

I still remember last year, firsthand witnessing Rob crash at a mission track daze cuz his brake lever fell off! :surrender

1 - 14 of 14 Posts