BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

61 - 80 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I bet my Yosh pipe would pass at 5K... maybe I'll tag the testing location! :)
There was someone there with a Yosh pipe. They didn't pass, but the mounties said they wouldn't normally ticket them anyway. They are after the loud, open pipe types.

·
Tai-Pan
3,681 Posts
I went and tested my bike and my girls f4i with a gianelli slip on.
Both failed,hers just barley but she only wound it up to 3,000 rpm and got 91.3 not sure what the idle was.
My zx12 with a yoshimira rs3 can
read 91 at idle and 96.7 at 4500 rpm.
Funny thing was the cops said "I can tell you will both pass" when we rolled in.
Better dig out you old stock cans if you plan on riding in the city.

Oh and they really did not like my tinted headlight covers.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Both failed,hers just barley but she only wound it up to 3,000 rpm and got 91.3 not sure what the idle was.
Funny thing was the cops said "I can tell you will both pass" when we rolled in.

I was there when you tested. That was my modulated headlight you were looking at.

·
Smile. :)
1,145 Posts

Hard to believe... I'd reading this and it's like reading a whole lot of stuff that is making me roll my eyes.
Guess it would be up to a cop to decide if they wanted to pull you over for a exhaust check, usually I just pull my clutch in and coast by a cop as to not give them a reason to pull me over for "loud exhaust" since the S1000RR is already loud with the stock can.
But the tinted headlight covers... now that is gold! :)

·
Tai-Pan
3,681 Posts
Oh one more thing they said to mention they will be there tomorrow as well. Maybe there has not been that great a turn out?
Also one officer said the decibel meter app on his I-phone got the exact same readings as the $600 unit the police have.

·
1,145 Posts
Oh one more thing they said to mention they will be there tomorrow as well. Maybe there has not been that great a turn out?
Also one officer said the decibel meter app on his I-phone got the exact same readings as the $600 unit the police have.
:laughing

But hey everything was ok when you gots got back home? nothing missing beyond a few papers? :eek

·
1,145 Posts
I think everything was recovered
That camera got destroyed good though, not sure if it got run over or hit a wall but its toast.
I'm gonna need needle nose pliers to get the SD card out.
Toasted camera... at this point do you try to being it back and claim it under warranty?:coffee "It just sort of... rolled on its own and folded up on it's self like a piece of paper."

Guess it was a good thing we all went together or right now someone would be going, "how the hell did this happen??!?!":coffee

·
Tai-Pan
3,681 Posts
One good thing I just discovered is I can get an insert from yoshimura for my pipe.It just slides in the end and two allen screws hold it in
It costs $20 and will drop the sound up to 10db.
I like the way my bike sounds and don't want to put one in ,but I don't want a ticket either.

·
2007 R-1
544 Posts
well it's not squished... just a "little" impact damage.. ok... its now a little ball of metal... died an honorble death.. went with me roughly 50,000k's... thanks for the help... think I would be just a little pissed right about now...

·
Registered
508 Posts
Best way to avoid a sound ticket,Stay out of the down town core.Any down town core.
Yes we all know of the awesome turns and loooong staights in the city and don't forget........POSSIN at STARSCHMUCKS for those who can't rider proper.:laughing:laughing:laughing:laughing

·
1,145 Posts
well it's not squished... just a "little" impact damage.. ok... its now a little ball of metal... died an honorble death.. went with me roughly 50,000k's... thanks for the help... think I would be just a little pissed right about now...
Wow 50 000km's is quite the distance... I guess we should have picked up the clues after seeing the first pieces of paper... my bad. =T But I'd say keep it as a memento to the good times and why it's a good idea to double check any luggage zippers.
Time to look for a small lock or even a safety pin to hold the zippers closed... it's happened to me and luckily all I had was a chain and wire lock inside, nothing came out luckily but I make it a rule to make sure to double check everything... you are lucky your keys didn't fall out either... they were hanging by a thread. :coffee

·
1,145 Posts
One good thing I just discovered is I can get an insert from yoshimura for my pipe.It just slides in the end and two allen screws hold it in
I like the way my bike sounds and don't want to put one in ,but I don't want a ticket either.
That's a hard one... but I say carry the DB baffle and when the cop pulls you over... just ask him to wait a few minutes and install it.:laughing

·
Banned
864 Posts
Can you post the link to that! thanks!

·
Banned
864 Posts
You were 5dB over. Most people won't notice 5dB while inside another vehicle with their own engine running.

I think you can take the officer's statement as honest, if he thought you'd pass when you drove in, and you barely failed, you'll be fine.

·
Tai-Pan
3,681 Posts
They ask you where you normally shift at and test at that rpm.
This test does not seem the same as the one they do in the USA.
We have one level for everything 91db.
In the USA
The SAE J2825 standard, prepared by the SAE Motorcycle Technical Steering Committee, recommends a decibel limit of 92 dBA at idle for all machines; or, using the Set RPM or Swept RPM Test, 100 dBA for three- or four-cylinder machines, and 96 dBA for bikes with fewer than three or more than four cylinders.
So I would pass in the states and fail here.....that is not going to work out well for American tourists.
If you are going to have a standard it needs to be a North American standard.
Thats ok I plan to ride in the states more than Canada this year.

I would like to know who decided on 91db as the limit? Did they consult all the manufacturers?
I am sure there are alot of stock bikes that are over 91db,what exactly are they supposed to do?
Is this a new law or are they just now deciding to act on it?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
So I would pass in the states and fail here.....that is not going to work out well for American tourists.
If you are going to have a standard it needs to be a North American standard.
I'm not really keen on American tourists with loud pipes either.

From what people are saying the police told them, they're not concerned with bikes a couple decibels over the limit, just like they don't often whack people for speeding 10 km/hr over the limit. They're looking for blatant violations (i.e. straight pipes) that annoy the living shit out of everyone around them.

I can live with that. There's the potential for the odd power tripping LEO to abuse their position, but any time I've run into those they tend to get their ass handed to them in Court.

61 - 80 of 138 Posts