BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Free exhaust decibel testing (RCMP)

30K views 137 replies 55 participants last post by  thekaz 
#1 ·
RCMP Press release:

Police Tackling Noisy Vehicles

The onset of summer is not always good news for some Lower Mainland residents, who dread the increase in noisy motorcycles and other vehicles on their neighborhood roads.

The North Vancouver RCMP and Port Mann freeway patrol are inviting motorcycle riders and other vehicle owners to attend the parking lot of the Main street off ramp at the Ironworkers Memorial bridge, on June 5th and 6th from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. for free decibel testing of their exhaust systems. This type of testing has never been offered by the police before and will be a unique opportunity for riders and drivers to become more aware of their noise levels. Trained Police officers will determine if the noise levels from the exhaust pipes are illegally loud.

On these days only, drivers will be offered an amnesty (no charges) by the police in North Vancouver. If their vehicle is found to be above the legal decibel limit, the Police will explain how to make the necessary improvements. Only street legal and street safe motorcycles and vehicles will be tested.

- If a motorcycle, car or truck is making more noise than a factory model, it is too loud.
- If after-market pipes have been installed they likely do not have baffles and are not legal.
- Most after market products are not approved mufflers.

Extensive enforcement for noisy vehicles will take place during June to October. Drivers charged under Section 7A.01 of the Motor Vehicle Act - Regulations will pay a fine of $109 and receive three points. If the noise is too excessive, vehicles could be towed and license plates seized, requiring the owner to have the vehicle inspected and then re-licensed.

“I have pulled over many motorcycles over the years and have heard all kinds of explanations,” says Constable Peter Kennedy with the North Vancouver RCMP. “None of them were valid, especially when someone says that the noise is for safety reasons and could save their life. Noisy motorcycles do not save lives, they simply irritate other people enjoying a peaceful day. The general public does not enjoy the noise and have made many requests with the local police agencies and the Mayor’s office for serious enforcement.”

Motor Vehicle Act Regulations

“A motor vehicle shall be equipped with an exhaust system which ensures that the exhaust gases from the engine are cooled and expelled without excessive noise.”

“The opinion of an inspector as to whether the engine and exhaust noise is greater than that made by other vehicles in good condition of comparable size, horsepower, pistondisplacement or compression ratio shall determine whether exhaust gases are expelled with excessive noise.”

Was there always three points attached to an excessive noise ticket ?
And you can bet that anyone dumb enough to take advantage of the 'amnesty test' will end up in a database for the next time they are pulled over.

See less See more
#5 ·
On these days only, drivers will be offered an amnesty (no charges) by the police in North Vancouver. If their vehicle is found to be above the legal decibel limit, the Police will explain how to make the necessary improvements. Only street legal and street safe motorcycles and vehicles will be tested.

from the article.

#7 ·
Noisy motorcycles do not save lives
For all the back and forth, I have yet to see or hear of ANYTHING even remotely resembling empirical evidence to support this issue, on either side of the argument.

So let's hear it; where's the proof that quieter motorcycle is any SAFER than a loud one?
Show me the study. Show me the testing. Show me the common sense.

THERE IS NONE!

Quite simply, this is now and always will be, a sociopolitical issue - with ZERO examination put into the actual heart of the matter.
Sure, loud pipes MIGHT help save lives.... buuuuuuut, let's try to endear motorcyclists at large with the general population - another losing battle.... another worthless law

#12 ·
So let's hear it; where's the proof that quieter motorcycle is any SAFER than a loud one?
Show me the study. Show me the testing. Show me the common sense.

THERE IS NONE!
In all of the loud pipe threads I have ever read, I cannot ever recall anyone saying that a quieter bike is a safer bike, or that quiet bikes save lives. Let's keep the hyperbole down to a dull roar. :evilgrin

The point made is usually to counter what the loud pipe supporters try to make us believe in that loud pipes save lives, or are safer. It has been noted that the loud pipe supporters sometimes remove the turn signals, won't wear protective clothing, have a black bike with black clothing, most often wear a novelty helmet, but then try to get their point across that they need louder pipes so they are safer or more protected.

#9 ·
I think this is the biggest BSH ever......the industry provides u with aftermarket goodies...which are not aloud in our country,like aftermarket exhausts,tint on the windows,engine modifications.....and just a bunch of outlines that are amusingly stupid!...............then this country should take the whole market out of....service so we don't by any mods cause they are all illegal!
That's just my opinion.....and this other BSH about the police invite for testing ......yeah......and 2-3 blocks when u leave they stop u and give u the f.......ticket.......I'm really sick and tired of this....(WE CARE ABOUT THE PUBLIC)...........and a little PS to the Constable Peter Kennedy...........with all do-respect...... I want him to go on a very quiet motorcycle and take the on ramp after the port man in every direction........or in general.......he should go for a ride anywhere in Vancouver,and then say his opinion!....... because of my loud pipes i only have 3 titanium bolts in my knee and,6 ribs broken......if i didn't have the pipes i would of being in heaven by now!

#10 · (Edited)
I think this is the biggest BSH ever......the industry provides u with aftermarket goodies...which are not aloud in our country,like aftermarket exhausts,tint on the windows,engine modifications.....and just a bunch of outlines that are amusingly stupid!...............then this country should take the whole market out of....service so we don't by any mods cause they are all illegal!
Or you can use them for what the manufacturers suggest: off-road use. Build a track vehicle and trailer it.

I remember having a discussion with my insurance agent in Ontario about suspension. I wanted to upgrade my suspension to something road legal, yet would lower the car. Many insurance companies were cracking down on it and not paying out claims if the vehicle was lowered. I asked my insurance agent what happens if my suspension wears out and I want to replace it with something better? I should be given a discount for making my vehicle safer, not punished for modding my vehicle. I actually got my insurance company to agree and provide in writing that my car would be covered for any mods, excluding engine mods.

I was surprised.

#11 ·
I have a place for the police to start. How about Cambie Bridge? I hear at least 5 cars & bikes open it up going over that bridge every 10 minutes. And that's right outside the VPD HQ. They do nothing to stop it. It's bloody annoying.

Some are stock, others aren't. It's not how loud the bikes/cars are that make them annoying. It's the way they ride/drive that makes them annoying.

Hell, I could be more annoying on an 87 decibel bike than a 98 decibel bike if I rode like an asshole.

notice I'm just a little annoyed? lol

#13 ·
I have NEVER had a stock exhaust on a streetbike, and I have ALWAYS
removed the DB killer from them to get the full flow and sound.

I have NEVER been talked to about my exhaust, NEVER given a ticket,
and I don't anticipate ever having a problem.

But I do not ride my open pipe motorcycle in Vancouver... and I tread
lightly in populated areas so as to make as little noise as possible.

The Harley's can't tread lightly, and so they are often the target of
the enforcement. It makes the maximum amount of noise at virtually
no rpm, which is just to get and keep it moving.

Then you have the wankers on the sportbikes with open pipes who
like to ride around the city like they are drag racers at 10,000rpm
between lights... they just seek attention... and often they get it,
from the wrong folks.. the police.

The motorcycle owner is in more control of the outcome of enforcement
than they want to believe.

#15 ·
lets face it there is lots of posers...around...that are saying:" look at me...and my bike".....i agree on that.....but come on.....what do you have to say on Twin's....a?.......Ducati's......sounding like a f.....ing sledge hammer,the Aprilia owners.......like a modded Harley....and more and more......so what do we do for them a.......I'm only saying cause I'm one of them and i don't wanna be hurt from the POLICE cause its a different type of bikes.........and they do make allot of noise!......

#39 ·
!

When I read your stuff it comes across like Christopher Reeves used to talk when he had the machine breathing for him!:laughing

#16 ·
All I know from my own experience is that I have more near misses if I take the loud pipes off my bikes (crazy I know) for a period of time. Not exactly scientific but for myself it's evidence enough and I'd rather pay a ticket from time to time and have that extra little bit of safety however minute it is. Also helps not to ride like a knob all the time (crazy I know).

#21 ·
With 2 of the loudest sportbikes ever made in your sig line, I will try and not let it influence my acknowledgement of your opinion. :laughing

I do find your experience interesting though as I have only had stock, quiet exhaust and only rely on defensive riding practises and lane positions to stay out of the way of errant cagers. Never had I wished the bike(s) was louder in the name of hypothetical safety....never.

I had a drag boat many years ago, and the open exhaust/over the transom headers were cool (in my youthful opinion) for about 2 months and then I heard all the other noise makers destroying the enjoyment of the public. I put water injection on after that. There was no collective call for safer boating thru loud pipes, no slogans such as loud boats save lives or any other generic excuse that usually points back to the operator getting a kick out of the sound.

I think that instead of aftermarket noisy exhausts, money better spent would be on an off road bike to hone your avoidance/riding skills. This will save your life, not a loud pipe.

#17 ·
in general this sucks and its complete BLSH...............no other state except California....or country there is a law like this....cause if there is........there is gonna be no aftermarket company's to produce equipment for motorcycle or cars!

#18 · (Edited)
Like I said; It's a sociopolitical issue.

As far as I've turned up in my research, there has been ZERO testing to either prove or DISPROVE the idea that 'loud pipes = increased awareness of a motorcyclists presence'.

Make no mistake: this law is 100% about appeasing the complainers in our society - who in all likelyhood, will very quickly move on to bitching about something else very soon. You know, the folks who move into the downtown core... or even next to a racetrack, then have the audacity to bitch about the ambient noise. Retards.

Perfect example of the way these brains work;
My friend is in construction. He is involved in the building of the endless plague of condos and subdivisions that are sweeping across our province.
Apparently, a lot of people will move into a freshly finished house before the paint even dries - perhaps one of the few finished houses in an endless expanse of new development land - then promptly come out first thing in the morning to bitch about the noise of construction...

Retards.

again, I'm not advocating sonic-boom inducing levels of most straight-piped v-twins - but I seriously believe there's a happy medium of 'nice' sound levels that are much more noticeable and enjoyable than stock.

#20 ·
PROVE IT.
go ahead. prove it wrong. Prove it properly. Prove it scientifically. Prove it once and for all, and I will fully concede the point, and may even go throw my stock system back on just to make everyone happy.

Buuuuuuut.... you probably can't prove it either way. Not without proper experimentation and testing. Which, afaik, no one has ever done.

So you may say the burden of proof is on the advocates of 'loud pipes save lives'.

But the burden of proof is also on the anti-advocates to DISPROVE it.
Which hasn't been done.

until then, I rely on my personal, first hand experience and observations. Which is to say; sound aids in awareness, both as a rider and a driver. So disprove the observations. The onus is on you.

#25 ·
goatrider is right... if you want testing get in a cage. The only time you hear a sportbike comming from behind you is when your at a stop and here comes lane splitter rider.

Other then that the wind noise or lack there of for all the dampening in new cars give the result that your not heard till your right beside us. If your making a pass I wouldn't know your there unless you were seen in the mirror which is why we always stay in positions where we can view the driver in their mirror.

#26 ·
Other then that the wind noise or lack there of for all the dampening in new cars give the result that your not heard till your right beside us.
Especially the high end luxury vehicles with N stickers in Richmond that will cut you off. :devillook

#29 ·
The Law sayeth unto you, "Thou shall not have loud pipes."
You rebut the law, saying "Prove to me loud pipes do, or do not do."
The Law sayeth, "Loud pipes are loud pipes. Thou shall not have loud pipes, whether or not they do, or do not."
And the sinner payeth for their sin with the fine.

#31 ·
Oh, this is good. I'm going to take my Laverda Jota there with factory stock pipes, and a collector plate demanding the use of the pipes, which,,,,,are friggin'loud. When they fail me, [where they get factory sound decibel levels for a company gone broke in 1988 I don't know] I'll point out the factory European/US certification tags, see what the hillbillies say!!

Steve

#38 ·
I'll point out the factory European/US certification tags, see what the hillbillies say!!
A traffic Nazi will say "Put it on a hook and come back when you can show me it is a street legal vehicle in Canada". :evilgrin

I learned a long time ago poking bears with a stick is a lose-lose proposition!:eek

#32 · (Edited)
An "audible" pipe is just one arrow in the quiver to help keep a rider alive.
This pipe does not need to make ear drums bleed, but should certainly be audible from inside an automobile.
If a rider with said audible pipe rides around as if this pipe is going to save his/her life, they'll be dead very quickly.
If a rider relies on any one arrow in the quiver they'll be dead very quickly.
We need as many arrows in the quiver as we can get and I for one will always have an audible aftermarket pipe on my motorcycle. Drivers have ears and we must appeal to that sense as respectfully as we can.

#37 ·
I'm curious about the sound test itself. It will be a fail if the pipe is over 91db. But what is a typical db level to expect at the RPM that the test is done?

If an aftermarket pipe makes 107db max (at 9000+ RPM), but less than 91 at 3000 RPM, then there should be nothing to worry about if the test calls for 3000 and idle engine speeds for the readings.

Or are you required to rev the shit out of your bike while it sits in neutral?

#42 ·
Okay, so what are the specs that they draw the line at? How do they conduct the test? Is the test the same for an inline 4 sportbike as it is for a Harley? Who came up with the specs?

This is such total nonsense. If someone is making noise that is obnoxious then pull them over and deal with them. The idea of setting up checkpoints with a decibel meter makes me sick. No-one ever even *notices* my ZRX with full Akra around town, why? BECAUSE I DON'T RIDE LIKE AN IDIOT AROUND PEOPLE.

#43 ·
Well, I'm definitely not on the "Loud pipes save lives" bandwagon. Maybe yes. Maybe no. Generally speaking, I'm a skeptic.

I do know that loud pipes break ears and that loud pipes piss people off and I don't need a research grant to figure that out. Stock is fine with me.

That said, my recommendation is that NOBODY take their bike in to have it tested. I'm guessing that most of the people who would go are those who ride with stock exhaust anyway and just want to swing by for kicks.

Of course, you have to wonder where the police will be getting their baseline data for all of these different bikes that they're going to want to test in the future. How could you possibly get a bunch of test data from stock motorcycles of all makes and models to use for future enforcement purposes?

I know what I'd do... I'd offer an amnesty day for anybody with a bike to swing on by for a free noise test. Then, I'd log all of the test result from stock exhaust bikes and use that data in future enforcement actions against non-stock bikes.

"Yes, your Honor, I know that Mr. Akrapovic's exhaust was excessively loud because it was 10 db above the noise level of an identical bike with stock exhaust. Here's the reading from the stock bike...and here's the reading from Mr. Akrapovic's bike."

It's a dick move, but it's also brilliant...as long as nobody figures it out until it's too late.

Are the cops smart enough to come up with a plan like that. Maybe yes. Maybe no. Generally speaking, I'm a skeptic.

#44 ·
So you are saying I shouldn't go get my stock bike tested so the idiot with the loud pipe doesn't get into trouble? Why would I want to do anything to allow said idiot to continue to ride with an obnoxious pipe?

#48 ·
I'm just saying that I don't like being part of a scheme...unless I know that I'm part of a scheme from the start. I have doubts that they're being entirely forthcoming regarding their "Free Noise Check Day".

That said, while I don't agree with excessively loud pipes and run stock on my bike, I also don't think that people who run them are "idiots". I think it's more of a simple difference of opinion. Most of the population thinks we're idiots for just getting on the bike in the first place. Personally, I don't think that you've truly reached the level of "idiot" until you've started to endanger the lives of others. By that measure, loud pipes are one of the least "idiot" things posted on this board. Of course, that's just my opinion. Others will certainly disagree.

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.