BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not really. I have managed to have a shade under $30K fall into my account after the demise of a very distant relative earlier this year. Now the question is, what to do with it?

Certainly it isn't "take this job and shove it" money. But if your RRSP's are topped off, housing has been taken care of and you have no outstanding debts (other than the mortgage); what to do? At this point, I consider it to be purely play money.

Being a lifelong Motörhead (damn autocorrect, but I am a fan of the late, great Lemmy) I am leaning towards bikes. New Duc? Older Duc and some vintage? Tricked RC51 and some vintage? Nothing but a bunch of vintage? Add some more to it and an RC30? Maybe an RC45? German bikes?

Maybe a 600 track bike and van for track days? Maybe forget bikes and find an old muscle car? Maybe an old 4X4 to go exploring with? Maybe forget work for 2 months and piss off to Europe to drive around in an old Alfa? Or forget work and ride through Africa for a couple of months?

What would you do if you had $30K drop in your lap?

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,796 Posts
15k BTC
10k ETH
5k XMR

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
...GIVE IT TO ME CUZ I'LL MAKE SPLENDID CHOICES?

but seriously, I reckon experiences count for way more than the hardware they're done on/with. so if your fancy is gonna be tickled best with an RC-51, there you go. if life will seem more complete having spent a season ripping a bunch of tracks, buy a track bike and trailer ( way cheaper than a van) and spend as much as possible on track days. if South America wags your tail, invest in a KLR and some boxes and go...

( personal question, if you don't mind: are you married? in other words, is this a personal decision, or are 'significant others' involved? big difference...)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good points Doser. Fortunately I'm a happily married guy. Over a quarter century with a very supportive partner. So whcheer way I choose, I'll be ok.*

DNA .... the hell is that?*

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,796 Posts
DNA .... the hell is that?*
various cryptocurrencies of note;
BTC (bitcoin) is on the move up lately,
XMR (monero) has potential to replace it one day yet only has a fraction of the market right now,
and ETH is a test bed for what may very well eventually become internet3.0, enabling things like verifiable online identities, verifiable online voting, decentralized banking, 1-to-1 producer<->consumer payment & distribution channels, and execution of various other smart-contract enabled futures. This shit isn't that far off, but it's still a bit like talking to people about 'the internet' in 1993...

Could be like getting in on MS in '85 :p

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow. That's some bizarre stuff. Much like the Internet was once considered bizarre. My concern is that it also could be like getting in on Bre-X stock in 1996.*

I'm not into stocks, money markets or any of that financial stuff. I happily pay someone who knows way much about those things than I do. Firstly because explaining it to me is like explaining electricity to a cavemen. *And second ...... I am positive that I could get more pleasure out of internal combustion powered devices. *If the financial world is a persons biggest interest, go for it. It makes the ignorant masses like myself much happier. **

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
how about touring Morocco?
http://www.imtbike.com/ and others...
about a decade ago, a friend rented a pair of bikes with another friend from here, sight unseen, and did their own tour. apparently freaking amazing! or you could go the guided route... more money, more managed experience, more sure outcome...

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Well, not really. I have managed to have a shade under $30K fall into my account after the demise of a very distant relative earlier this year. Now the question is, what to do with it?

Certainly it isn't "take this job and shove it" money. But if your RRSP's are topped off, housing has been taken care of and you have no outstanding debts (other than the mortgage); what to do? At this point, I consider it to be purely play money.

Being a lifelong Motörhead (damn autocorrect, but I am a fan of the late, great Lemmy) I am leaning towards bikes. New Duc? Older Duc and some vintage? Tricked RC51 and some vintage? Nothing but a bunch of vintage? Add some more to it and an RC30? Maybe an RC45? German bikes?

Maybe a 600 track bike and van for track days? Maybe forget bikes and find an old muscle car? Maybe an old 4X4 to go exploring with? Maybe forget work for 2 months and piss off to Europe to drive around in an old Alfa? Or forget work and ride through Africa for a couple of months?

What would you do if you had $30K drop in your lap?

I also had a sort of similar amount of money deposited into my account after the unfortunate demise of a family member. So i can't call it free money because I lost my best friend [brother]. Being a total Midas Touch kind of guy, I wanted to respect his money the way he did, smartly use it. I took that money, bought approx 3 1/2 pounds of gold bullion, and 10 pounds of silver. About 2 1/2 years later, I sold off everything, I almost tripled my money, tax free, which allowed me to kill my mortgage, buy a new truck, top up all my RRSP room, TFSA room, and invest $7000 into dividend paying Cdn stocks, which have doubled in value, which are still paying dividends. I bought 3 more motorcycles, since bought a large margin of gold/silver again at lower prices, and traveled around quite a bit.

By far the best thing I did after selling off the gold/silver was killing off all debt. Talk to any financial guy, they will say debt elimination is the best move to make on a windfall.

·
track hack
1,993 Posts
RC51?

Only an idiot would own one. Essentially an 851 Duc but with slightly better reliability.

$30K?

- $10k for a Euro trip for the Mrs and yourself with some sort of 2 or 4 wheeled slant - Valencia season ending MotoGP, IOM TT, Formula 1 event, yada yada...
- $10k down on the mortgage cause that's the right thing to do.
- $10k in REAL play money aka bike cash so you're looking at a used somethingorother.

·
Registered
97 Posts
- right now if somebody dumped 30K in my bank account and said I had to spend it on bikes I would:

1) go and test ride a S1000RR and the new Ducati Supersport
2) buy one of the above bikes
3) buy a CRF 450F
4) buy a trailer

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Its all about the toys. You could buy some pretty nice jap bikes for that kind of money. Maybe the new R1 and a Fz09. Best of both worlds.

Some bitcoin to sit on is not a bad idea. As far as Eth and Xmr go - forget it. Good chance to lose your moola on those.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
no outstanding debt, except for mortgage... its a little funny folks dont consider a mortgage debt. And when i say funny, i dont mean ha-ha..

30k is nothing.. toss it on the mortgage and do something with the interest you've saved :D

Mortgage.........
smart man walkin' :happysq

By far the best thing I did after selling off the gold/silver was killing off all debt. Talk to any financial guy, they will say debt elimination is the best move to make on a windfall.
yep, that is the smart thing to do.. toys come and go but having freedom to live your life stress free, you just cant put a price on that..

i'm looking to invest some $$ in the near future as well,..

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
no outstanding debt, except for mortgage... its a little funny folks dont consider a mortgage debt. And when i say funny, i dont mean ha-ha..

30k is nothing.. toss it on the mortgage and do something with the interest you've saved :D

smart man walkin' :happysq

yep, that is the smart thing to do.. toys come and go but having freedom to live your life stress free, you just cant put a price on that..

i'm looking to invest some $$ in the near future as well,..
* Actually I'm about to do the same. I'm waiting for the US election to happen, see what they will end up will open up opportunities either way *. *

·
Registered
547 Posts
As *a Ducati owner, I say this in all seriousness: don't.

Iceland is nice, and you might just get there before it gets tourist crazy. Better hurry.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Iceland is nice, and you might just get there before it gets tourist crazy. Better hurry.
if you're into Heavy metal, make absolutely sure to catch the trip during their major festival.. a buddy of mine went a couple years ago and had an absolute blast.

He was smart enough to rent a car, ended up picking up a couple of straggler kids en-route and he keeps saying he cant wait to go back

1 - 20 of 26 Posts