BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
'04 R1 - You are mine!
Joined
·
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
by Beryl Wajsman, Institute for Public Affairs of Montreal
Sunday, January 15, 2006

I was born in the former Soviet Union. Among my earliest memories was the sight of police and soldiers in long heavy brown coats, chests covered by criss-crossed bullet holsters standing at what seemed every street corner, holding formidable rifles. Another memory was of an old, gnarled woman bent over a small desk at the end of our apartment hallway making notes on who came and went and when. When we moved to Poland, I remember my mother always telling me to be quiet when we went to the park. "People," she said, "might be listening."

As I grew, and studied, and read, the explanations became clear. The statocratic tyrants of eastern Europe said that the policemen, the watchers and the listeners were all for our own good. All for the greater good. It would make us better citizens to surrender our natural birthrights of free speech, free assembly, free association and free choice for the greater benefit of society.

That "society", it turned out was not the people writ large, but the petty little world of state social engineers who "knew what was best for us". What they knew was how to imprison us in suffocating oversight the better to control us for the "leaders", who were the living embodiment of our "values". Some leaders. Some values.

My parents made the decision to leave the tyranny of the mindless. We waited almost two years for the proper papers to come to Canada. No que jumping. No refugee claims. Well-educated, between the two of them they had a modest grasp of French and English and spent those years improving it. After some time in Paris we flew into Montreal in the summer of 1959. They felt very much at home. To them Montreal was a "European" city and they loved it. Seeing this, I asked, in the innocent way children do, why we went through the bother of moving. Their answer is instructive to all Canadians who will go vote on January 23rd. "To be free", they said. "To be free."

Not just to be free from fear. But to be free to choose. To make their own decisions about how to live, where to work, and what to strive for. Free even to make mistakes. But most of all, free from the great all-seeing eye of the state and the suffocating dictates it sent out in the name of the "collective good".

Things were not easy in the first years. But I never saw either of them resort to any agencies of government for aid. That was what they ran away from. The object lesson in life they taught me was that for everything you take from the state, you give up a piece of yourself. And bit by bit you are no longer free. Bit by bit you mouth the platitudes of big brother in return for the crumbs he offers to "care" for you from cradle to grave.

But they knew that you aren't really cared for. You are just given enough to have hope for more so that you toe the line. You are given just enough so that you convince yourself that you don't really matter. You convince yourself that politicians who barely know what's good for themselves, know what's good for you. And saddest of all, you rationalize wrongs being right and drive yourself so senseless that you can no longer even recognize what's true.

The Liberals have run this campaign on what they call Canadian "values". If these be values, than what be treason? Treason in the only definition that really matters. The abridgment and abrogation of freedom and truth. The Liberals would have us believe that their cornucopia of nanny-state policies represent our values. The fact is that if we have to live our lives weighing every action, every communication, every human contact, wondering what agents of the state might find out about it, how they would analyze it, judge it, tamper with it, and somehow use it to our detriment, we are not truly free. And that is the mindless intervention the Liberals demand we stand for in return for the "generosity" of their cheap pork-barrel vote-grabbing schemes.

Their recent attack ads tell the whole story of their hypocrisy. They attack Stephen Harper for lacking compassion. Was it compassionate of Paul Martin to cut $30 billion out of health care and rip-off the unemployment insurance surpluses? They accuse Stephen Harper of already running a financial deficit. What about the democratic deficit in the conduct of party and public affairs of this Prime Minister who runs roughshod over every aspect of due process and just consideration?

They accuse Stephen Harper's support of aspects of American foreign policies as being against Canadian values. Is it "Canadian" to call Muammar Khaddafi, the "butcher of Lockerbie", a man with a "...philosophical bent of mind..." as Prime Minister Martin did when he went to Libya to pander for oil leases? They attack Stephen Harper for saying that America has been a "...light and an inspiration..." to people around the world. Is Canada inspiring anyone by its cowardly failure to recognize, and expand, our own responsibilities in the fight against tyranny and terror and let others carry the burden?

They scare Canadians into believing that "You won't recognize Canada when Harper gets through with it." Do we recognize the Canada of today upon which the Martin Liberals have imposed laws that would overturn the presumption of innocence in certain criminal cases; give state security agents open access to our e-mails; the power of "preventive control measures" against unindicted "enemies of the state"; and the right of random search of cars for drugs, all without any protection of probable cause?

They denounce Harper for being uncaring while declaring "Paul Martin cares very much." What does he care for? $167,000,000 in contracts to CSL and retroactive off-shore tax haven rules that allowed him to have CSL companies transferred to Barbados to avoid Canadian taxes. Canadians don't have to worry about the scurrilous military ad the Liberals pulled that suggested soldiers would be in our cities. We already have the Liberals gagging and pillaging the commonweal all by themselves.

Canadians don't need lessons in values. We have them embodied in our boldness, our vision, our conscience, our blood, our voice and our courage. The boldness of Papineau. The vision of Lafontaine, Baldwin, MacDonald and Cartier. The conscience of D'Arcy McGee and Laurier. The blood of Vimy Ridge, Dieppe, Normandy, Sinai, Rwanda and the Balkans. Labour's voice from Winnipeg to Lac Megantic. Political courage from Marchand to Douglas to Lesage to Levesque to Trudeau.

The golden thread of Canadian values has not been dollars or daycare. It has been the resolve to base radical transformations on the foundational principles of freedom, truth and the sovereignty of each and every individual. The determination to give each one of us the opportunity to realize our full potential. An opportunity that every human life deserves without debasement to state dictate.

Over the past 20 years, Canada has become a place where merely speaking truth to power is considered a revolutionary act. Over the past 20 years, our people have come to dread liberty because it demands responsibility. When you go into the voting both on January 23rd it may well be the last, best hope to take our country back. All you have to do is remember that a nation of sheep will always produce governments of wolves.

Beryl P. Wajsman is the president of the Institute for Public Affairs of Montreal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
875 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how many anti-liberal threads have you started now?
 

·
Woof?
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
FloMan said:
by Beryl Wajsman, Institute for Public Affairs of Montreal
Sunday, January 15, 2006

I was born in the former Soviet Union. Among my earliest memories was the sight of police and soldiers in long heavy brown coats, chests covered by criss-crossed bullet holsters standing at what seemed every street corner, holding formidable rifles. Another memory was of an old, gnarled woman bent over a small desk at the end of our apartment hallway making notes on who came and went and when. When we moved to Poland, I remember my mother always telling me to be quiet when we went to the park. "People," she said, "might be listening."

As I grew, and studied, and read, the explanations became clear. The statocratic tyrants of eastern Europe said that the policemen, the watchers and the listeners were all for our own good. All for the greater good. It would make us better citizens to surrender our natural birthrights of free speech, free assembly, free association and free choice for the greater benefit of society.

That "society", it turned out was not the people writ large, but the petty little world of state social engineers who "knew what was best for us". What they knew was how to imprison us in suffocating oversight the better to control us for the "leaders", who were the living embodiment of our "values". Some leaders. Some values.

My parents made the decision to leave the tyranny of the mindless. We waited almost two years for the proper papers to come to Canada. No que jumping. No refugee claims. Well-educated, between the two of them they had a modest grasp of French and English and spent those years improving it. After some time in Paris we flew into Montreal in the summer of 1959. They felt very much at home. To them Montreal was a "European" city and they loved it. Seeing this, I asked, in the innocent way children do, why we went through the bother of moving. Their answer is instructive to all Canadians who will go vote on January 23rd. "To be free", they said. "To be free."

Not just to be free from fear. But to be free to choose. To make their own decisions about how to live, where to work, and what to strive for. Free even to make mistakes. But most of all, free from the great all-seeing eye of the state and the suffocating dictates it sent out in the name of the "collective good".

Things were not easy in the first years. But I never saw either of them resort to any agencies of government for aid. That was what they ran away from. The object lesson in life they taught me was that for everything you take from the state, you give up a piece of yourself. And bit by bit you are no longer free. Bit by bit you mouth the platitudes of big brother in return for the crumbs he offers to "care" for you from cradle to grave.

But they knew that you aren't really cared for. You are just given enough to have hope for more so that you toe the line. You are given just enough so that you convince yourself that you don't really matter. You convince yourself that politicians who barely know what's good for themselves, know what's good for you. And saddest of all, you rationalize wrongs being right and drive yourself so senseless that you can no longer even recognize what's true.

The Liberals have run this campaign on what they call Canadian "values". If these be values, than what be treason? Treason in the only definition that really matters. The abridgment and abrogation of freedom and truth. The Liberals would have us believe that their cornucopia of nanny-state policies represent our values. The fact is that if we have to live our lives weighing every action, every communication, every human contact, wondering what agents of the state might find out about it, how they would analyze it, judge it, tamper with it, and somehow use it to our detriment, we are not truly free. And that is the mindless intervention the Liberals demand we stand for in return for the "generosity" of their cheap pork-barrel vote-grabbing schemes.

Their recent attack ads tell the whole story of their hypocrisy. They attack Stephen Harper for lacking compassion. Was it compassionate of Paul Martin to cut $30 billion out of health care and rip-off the unemployment insurance surpluses? They accuse Stephen Harper of already running a financial deficit. What about the democratic deficit in the conduct of party and public affairs of this Prime Minister who runs roughshod over every aspect of due process and just consideration?

They accuse Stephen Harper's support of aspects of American foreign policies as being against Canadian values. Is it "Canadian" to call Muammar Khaddafi, the "butcher of Lockerbie", a man with a "...philosophical bent of mind..." as Prime Minister Martin did when he went to Libya to pander for oil leases? They attack Stephen Harper for saying that America has been a "...light and an inspiration..." to people around the world. Is Canada inspiring anyone by its cowardly failure to recognize, and expand, our own responsibilities in the fight against tyranny and terror and let others carry the burden?

They scare Canadians into believing that "You won't recognize Canada when Harper gets through with it." Do we recognize the Canada of today upon which the Martin Liberals have imposed laws that would overturn the presumption of innocence in certain criminal cases; give state security agents open access to our e-mails; the power of "preventive control measures" against unindicted "enemies of the state"; and the right of random search of cars for drugs, all without any protection of probable cause?

They denounce Harper for being uncaring while declaring "Paul Martin cares very much." What does he care for? $167,000,000 in contracts to CSL and retroactive off-shore tax haven rules that allowed him to have CSL companies transferred to Barbados to avoid Canadian taxes. Canadians don't have to worry about the scurrilous military ad the Liberals pulled that suggested soldiers would be in our cities. We already have the Liberals gagging and pillaging the commonweal all by themselves.

Canadians don't need lessons in values. We have them embodied in our boldness, our vision, our conscience, our blood, our voice and our courage. The boldness of Papineau. The vision of Lafontaine, Baldwin, MacDonald and Cartier. The conscience of D'Arcy McGee and Laurier. The blood of Vimy Ridge, Dieppe, Normandy, Sinai, Rwanda and the Balkans. Labour's voice from Winnipeg to Lac Megantic. Political courage from Marchand to Douglas to Lesage to Levesque to Trudeau.

The golden thread of Canadian values has not been dollars or daycare. It has been the resolve to base radical transformations on the foundational principles of freedom, truth and the sovereignty of each and every individual. The determination to give each one of us the opportunity to realize our full potential. An opportunity that every human life deserves without debasement to state dictate.

Over the past 20 years, Canada has become a place where merely speaking truth to power is considered a revolutionary act. Over the past 20 years, our people have come to dread liberty because it demands responsibility. When you go into the voting both on January 23rd it may well be the last, best hope to take our country back. All you have to do is remember that a nation of sheep will always produce governments of wolves.

Beryl P. Wajsman is the president of the Institute for Public Affairs of Montreal

I'd rather elect a Thief like Paul Martin than an openly insane nutjob like Stephen Harper
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,578 Posts
:cool

It's a fine piece of writing, likely from someone who has the same sharp skills for public speaking. As for content, one could switch the names of the players and the incidents cited and replace them with names of players and previous incidents cited ... 10, 20 or 40 years ago. Yet, despite the coverage of each, each in its own time, the dissections & manipulations playing to the sentiments of the populace of each era... the voter's quest remains simple and unchanged: Vote for the candidate in your riding who best represents & reflects you and your interests.

:rolleyes I've always been leery of statements, representations & promises made in national media campaigns via mass-media funded by big money directed by spin-doctors. Likewise have I great disdain for the handy by-product of the political machine: ideological pablum that weaves its way to us via emails and web-sites in the form of posts championing this or that.

Really, having a direct, qualitative conversation one-on-one with a prospective MP in your own riding... priceless. ;)

:drinkbeer
 

·
Registered Abuser
Joined
·
2,051 Posts
Well said Skip, as much as Flo and I have been bashing back and forth, I still haven't decided who I will vote for. I had the NDP candidate over at my place last week. It was enlightening, the Conservative candidate was canvassing 2 days ago and I had a chance to talk to him for quite a while as well. He had some great points as well. This week I plan on talking to the Liberal candidate and see what he has to say and then I’ll make up my mind on who is more in line with my way of thinking. Reading propaganda online isn’t going to give you a good picture of what each individual and party is all about.
Normally I don’t even like to talk about politics, the only reason I got involved on here is the constant bombardment of Flos posts leave a sour taste in my mouth. It’s bad enough my Outlook inbox gets spammed on a constant basis, at least once a week I get telemarketers spamming me and now I’m spammed on a motorcycle forum.
 

·
'04 R1 - You are mine!
Joined
·
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Silent Scream said:
Just out of curiosity, how many anti-liberal threads have you started now?

Probably eight or nine?
 

·
'04 R1 - You are mine!
Joined
·
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SkipTkt said:
Really, having a direct, qualitative conversation one-on-one with a prospective MP in your own riding... priceless. ;)

:drinkbeer
Your local MP has as much power to do anything for you as his party and party leader grant him.

Your MP might be the salt of the earth but if he is a member of a corrupt party, the majority of his stands and policies will be those of the party he belongs to.

He might be charismatic and a genuinely nice person but in the end he/she will toe the party line so ultimately you have to decide which party's policies you want, not which MP is the nicest in your riding.
 

·
'04 R1 - You are mine!
Joined
·
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cam said:
I'd rather elect a Thief like Paul Martin than an openly insane nutjob like Stephen Harper

I feel so sorry for you. You admit that Paul Martin is a thief and admit that doesn't bother you. You are beyond help.
 

·
Woof?
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
FloMan said:
I feel so sorry for you. You admit that Paul Martin is a thief and admit that doesn't bother you. You are beyond help.


better then voting for alberta loving neo-nazi psycho.
 

·
'04 R1 - You are mine!
Joined
·
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SkipTkt said:
:cool

It's a fine piece of writing, likely from someone who has the same sharp skills for public speaking. As for content, one could switch the names of the players and the incidents cited and replace them with names of players and previous incidents cited ... 10, 20 or 40 years ago. Yet

You are very misinformed in this regard. Your cynicism comes from having lived all your life in a stable country where nothing really bad ever happened and therefore you can't conceive that it ever will. I hope that you don't have to live it to believe it. For my sake more than yours.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,578 Posts
I understand what you're saying, Flo, and I don't disagree that parties have lines drawn in the sand in some -or many- areas. Yet I do believe 'one-on-one' time. If nothing else, it reveals the strength of the voice you're sending to Ottawa. Some speak with words, some sound like a sheep. ;)
 

·
Registered Abuser
Joined
·
2,051 Posts
Drama queen can't see phony propaganda emails for what they are worth.
I truly hope that some day you will see that these types of emails are a ploy of political parties. If you never see that then god help us all, I say that more for my sake than yours. But it most certainly is leading us to apocalyptic times and the future of mankind hangs in the balance of what we do as a nation on Jan 23 2006 A.D.
 

·
'04 R1 - You are mine!
Joined
·
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cam said:
better then voting for alberta loving neo-nazi psycho.

The truth is that paul martin is a thief and much more. I could explain why if there was any doubt about that but you don't deny that, but how can you back up a statement such the one above you made about Harper?

What do you base that declaration on? Enlighten me; if your argument is valid I could be pearsuaded to change my allegiances.
 

·
Lightly seasoned...
Joined
·
176 Posts
A few things I've learned from my degree in History, liberal studies and law studies...

1. modern national politics are in general broken... EVERY system save for direct responsible democracy has proven ineffective or corruptive (unlike that from ancient greece where the entire population within a government was in personal contact and partisan member of the system)
2. elect who you like, they only truely have one goal, personal gain or sustainment to a standard at which they are at or higher... after all how many ppl who run for PM would willingly take a 1 bed apt and a leased honda civic and a food allowance which provides a full healthy life or salary to that equivalent?
3. the multi house democratic system is DESIGNED for one thing, slow process (originally intended to counteract acts of will/whim by monarchs)... dramatic change requires either true unanimity or subversion of the system (thus unconstitual acts)

Thus the best bet is to elect the person who stands to change the least, has what they want and promises little in dramatics and look to improve relations internationally better than the competition.
 

·
rain? whats that!
Joined
·
5,834 Posts
True enough, every democracy in the past has come to crumble. It is a system designed by flawed humans so eventually it will fail.


Out of curiosity.....what does one do with your degrees in Nanaimo?
 

·
Woof?
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
REVELATIONS said:
True enough, every democracy in the past has come to crumble. It is a system designed by flawed humans so eventually it will fail.


Out of curiosity.....what does one do with your degrees in Nanaimo?

im thinking: hemp clothing or bead necklaces?
 

·
Happy Camper
Joined
·
2,698 Posts
Who cares? I don't vote...they're all crooks. I can't think of a single BC Premier or Prime Minister that didn't break their promises and didn't end their career in scandal....someone give me just one...c'mon...
Why should I support these con men?

The only time I ever made the effort to vote locally was for the late great Chuck Cadman, because he struck me as an honest person that was really trying to make a difference. Everyone else sucks.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top