BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't notice this before, maybe I'm braking harder now. When I'm coming to a stop my friggin brake lever hits my fingers and I only use 2 fingers to brake, so I'm pretty much screwed in an emergency situation.

Is something up /w my brake lever?? My brake pads are still good, ~80%. I'm wondering if I need to tighter up something. I know you can tighten up your bicycle brake levers but motrocycles levers are hydraulics??

·
Newbie Poser Squid
2,709 Posts
I don't know what you ride so here goes.

On your brake lever there should be a circular adjustment knob with incremental numbers on it. Turn it to a lower number (i.e from 5 to 4) and voila'

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When's the last time the brake fluid was changed and the system was bled? You can also adjust the lever out a bit on most bikes.
I have a zzr ninja 250.
Brake fluid was change around September of last year

·
Registered
978 Posts
I've got the same thing on my dirtbike but thats got drumbrakes and the engine brake is primary source of slowing down lol

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Your brake levers are adjustable. Back them off some, so the lever is harder to reach, and you won't be hitting the bar.

I make them "squishier" in the winter to stop them from biting hard when it's cold and wet outside. In summer I crank them out to full.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Take out your brake pads, clean them and your rotors with one of those abrasive pads, put pads back in and bleed.

·
SuperStyling
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your brake levers are adjustable. Back them off some, so the lever is harder to reach, and you won't be hitting the bar.

I make them "squishier" in the winter to stop them from biting hard when it's cold and wet outside. In summer I crank them out to full.
Great tip, thanks.

Take out your brake pads, clean them and your rotors with one of those abrasive pads, put pads back in and bleed.
What is happening when I clean the brake pads and rotors and bleeding?

·
Waiting for the sun
502 Posts
Dirt & debris removal is happening :laughing
Good luck getting the problem resolved....In my experience, I've found the hardest to diagnose problems were ususaly caused by something so simple.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Great tip, thanks.

I suspect it varies from bike to bike, and from pad type to pad type, but on my RC with EBC pads, they wear quite asymmetrically, and get a considerable buildup of "stuff" that can be scoured off fairly easily. Often I find just reinstalling the pads (pushing the pistons into the calipers a small amount) after this cleaning process, without any bleeding, leads to a rock solid brake lever. This then consistently gets "softer" over the course of a couple of months, depending on use. My interpretation is that the process described above lets the pistons reseat themselves with the asymmetrically worn pads. Radial calipers are supposed to reduce this problem.

·
Addicted to two wheels
2,615 Posts
Also check for a hole or rip in the diaphram inside the fluid res. I had my ZX10 lever go right to my knuckles heading into turn 3 at Mission. Scared the you know what out of me.

...also check to see if both of your wheel weights are still on the front wheel.

·
Unregistered User
192 Posts
pull and hold the lever HARD, the lever should stop. If the lever sinks slowly, check for external leaks. If there's no visible leak, then the seals inside the master cylinder is leaking through which can cause a low lever.

Otherwise, it could be as simple as air inside the system.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts