BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or does anyone else think the headlight and air intake area of the new R6 looks a lot more like a plastic replica of the Predator alien than it does a proper motorcycle? When I saw it at the motorcycle show today I was so struck by the comparison I almost expected the side mandibles to start twitching and for the bike to stand up and grow the alien's dreadlocks!

The other issue I saw with the new R6 is the odd looking small passenger perch that is so out of scale to the rest of the bike that it really detracted from the flow of the bike's shape for my tastes.

It's got some good and even great styling features but these two things just ruined it for me.

Now the new Triumph 675 though. THAT was a looker!

·
umm... yeah
203 Posts
hey teetee,

I totally agree with you on those points, not to mention the rear liccense plate mount looks like some sore of futuristic weapon/stinger. Having the 05 right beside it for comparison I would easily take it over the 06

The thing thats got me... is why they only did it to the r6 and left the r1 front alone...

matt

F

·
0 Posts
my theory on that is ,if they didnt put that little light there,it woud resemble the M1 way to much and its no longer a prototype for gp? or someone from the 06' 10r camp was fuking with the yamaha guys drawings and figured,"hey mines fuked up too here take thAT !" .lol

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree about the license plate holder/fender as well. But I gave Yami the benifit of the doubt on that one since so many of the plastic abortions tacked on the back ends of so many bikes today are intended only as legalizers and new owners remove them almost immediatley in favour of some form of fender eliminator.

It's seldom you find the undertray, trunk and fender all incorporated into one big lump of plastic like it was even a few years back. These days they all have finished undertails that are just begging to be graced with an F/E. They can't do it legally but you can almost SEE the tags hanging off the fenders that say "Remove After Purchase As Required By Fashion Law"...:D

·
???????
908 Posts
Ya the R6 had a real angry wasp thing going on. The wide flat tank seemed like a natural fit, the bar reach was very short but I have long arms. Don't know why they bothered with the wind screen.

C

·
0 Posts
At first I loved the R6 but now I think I hate it.. the front/headlights look like an alien mantis or something... the exhaust is disgusting (sure its useful but looks like a turtle head poking out) and the back end is so small.. will have to see it in person to really tell.. really liking the new GSXR600 though

·
umm... yeah
203 Posts
one of the worst things i can see with the new stubby exhaust is that they will get kicked and scuffed all the time. Right behind the foot peg, to me, is not a good place for it

Matt

·
Addicted to speed
237 Posts
I think it's a pretty sweet looking bike, the rear end does seem a bit small in contrast to the rest of the bike and I don't like the exhaust at all either. Overall I give it the thumbs up

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Are you still waffling about this? For god's sake get the damn 750!:evilgrin

Z

·
0 Posts
I agree with the look of the R6 being a bit too "futuristic" for my personal liking. One plus about the teeney - weeney can is that your passenger's rubber boot heel won't glue to it anymore. Mind you , not a lot of room for a passenger anymore either.

I'm disappointed that the new R6 isn't female friendly anymore - and by that I mean it's height has increased which makes it a little more difficult for us chicks. Has anyone else seen the information about this R6 and going 17.5 on the Dyno? Word has it that that isn't exactly true and it doesn't go much over 15.5. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I hope everybody thinks the R6 is ugly, and nobody buys them! So, hopefully by next year, I can pick up a non-current 06 model cheap! :thumbup

·
Registered
487 Posts
lilfizzer said:
I hope everybody thinks the R6 is ugly, and nobody buys them! So, hopefully by next year, I can pick up a non-current 06 model cheap! :thumbup

n ill have one of the few one the road so it will stand out even more!! thnx guys!

i have no idea wat u guys r talkin about, i think its one of the nicest bikes ever made. u guys r smokin somethin.

C

·
0 Posts
to summarize all points here

its a race bike made street legal... not a street legal bike made race ready :)

thats why its a 10!

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
NOW THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKIN' ABOUT! ! ! !

Can you really say with a straight face that between the little proboscis with the light on it and the way the headlights pinch seem to extend forward and come to an insect like point in at the mouth opening. That this doesn't look like insect mandibles? Or the Predator?

Don't be makin' me go dig up bug pictures now......

·
Fastronaut
6,508 Posts
One of the few bikes I hopped on. You won't see that little bump when you're riding. Looks like it's on the track body too so it's either to add or reduce turbulence, as the sales guys spin the tale.

I did't like the sloped seat, that was what got me. Not much choice but to hump the tank. Nice feel otherwise. Fly by wire "feels" normal when switched off.

Other Yamaha thoughts, R1LE, not very exciting to look at. MT-01, those big rubber pads below the tank would be victims of a big prybar if I got my hands on one.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've seen the new R6 a couple times now. Still don't like the high seat and it also feels too short seat to bars. I think the styling is a bit overdone and busy as all hell. I'm sure it is a performer extrodinaire, so who really cares how it looks?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts