BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would the additives that fuel companies add to the gas affect the engine? I'm thinking along the lines of Tactrol (sp?) from Petrocan etc. Are there any concerns with using these fuels in m/c engines?

·
JMFN
42 Posts
In the VFR sticky on page 2 Honda blames the additives in premium Canadian gas for sensor problems, other than that no one seems to have complaints.

·
gix4life
152 Posts
i'm wondering myself how fuel additives affect the bike. i was filling up last night at shell, and reading how shell is now designated top tier which means their feul has not only additives but detergents. we use bike oil rated sf,sg because car oils sj, sh have detergents in them which can lead to clutch slippage for ex. if you wouldn't use car oil with detergents why use fuel with detergents?

G

·
if you wouldn't use car oil with detergents why use fuel with detergents?
because fuel additives don't affect the clutch plates for one. car clutches are dry last i checked, whereas most bike clutches are wet. exceptions are ducati and such. bruce has stated that those bikes can use the car grade oils with no clutch issues.

fuel additives keep carbs and injectors from gumming up with varnishes and deposits as gasoline breaks down. lead was great for lubricating valves. i am sure unleaded has lead alternatives in it for that purpose. octane is an additive. you kinda want that in the gas too. sulphur was found in fuel for the longest time, but the only thing i could find was a blurb on it giving a bit better mileage. most fuels are sulphur free now.

·
One Lump Sum
605 Posts
Automotive oils all have detergents in them...fuel having detergents is not likely to hurt anything really, if anything it might slightly slow down carbon deposits. Gasoline on its own scours everything down before its lit up anyways.

·
Bitey things are niceless
342 Posts
Question: Even if you decided you didn't like putting those additives in your bike, what would you do about it?
I get my gas from the station, and they get theirs from the refinery which mixes in the additive for them. Having worked in a few refineries, I'll suggest that they're all pretty much the same, and it's just the retail end that changes the name of the additive.
Suggestion: My honda manual tells me that the F4i only requires an 86 octane, and since most places give you more additive per higher octane, it stands to reason that if you use a lower octane, you'd put less additive in your bike, if it were a concern.
Just my thoughts...

·
One Lump Sum
605 Posts
You're assuming I don't know about something so simple as octane? This bike isn't stock, buddy. The head has been liberally shaved, and until I get it apart this winter and cc the chambers I'm not taking chances. You get?

·
One Lump Sum
605 Posts
Actually, come to think of it I'm pretty sure my bike is supposed to run 91 according to the factory...I'll have to double check.

·
One Lump Sum
605 Posts
You were specifically talking to ME about not needing that octane. Not only am I pretty sure mine is supposed to run 91 factory, but it has a shaved head. YOU LOSE.

·
One Lump Sum
605 Posts
I'll do that. Naked. And send you pictures of my raw, scorched penis. And then I'll cool it down with 94 octane.

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stop flirting and get back on topic :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts