BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my Bike: 1989 kawasaki kr1

Problem: Bike has been sittin for over 3 years. I tried to open the gas tank but the key just turns and feels like the slide mechanism underneath isn't moving.

I've looked all over the interweb.. some use wd-40, some use wd-40 then a blowdryer, some use different lubes that dont 'gunk' up like wd-40, ive tried jiggling it up and down, left and right.

I'm convinced the lock is broken. The key turns but the slide underneath doesnt move.

SO I am wondering if there are locksmiths in Vancouver that can help me out.

The bike is rare.. and so are parts.. i am looking for a solution that does not require me to drill the lock out.

You guys know anyone? or have experienced this problem?

Cheers

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Try to press down on the fuel cap to release any pressure on the latch mechanism,
maybe it might turn.

I wouldn't take a blowdryer or anything causing a spark near the fuel cap in case the vapors come out, then you'll have a different problem, Ka-Boom

·
Eyes set on the rubbarb
1,990 Posts
If the tank is painted the fuel can eat away at the paint and it starts to become tacky. I had this issue on my old fuel tank after I painted it. At times I thought I was going to break the key because I couldn't open it. I started carrying around a small flathead I used to pry up on it if it got stuck. It was never hard to open, but the key doesn't give great mechanical advantage.

Try this with the key turned.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The blowdryer works apparently tho... as i've read on the interweb. But that solution is for when the key doesn't turn at all. I think the heat + air pressure blows the lube into tight places. I tried it for a minute.. the key just turns even more loosely.. but no latch mechanism movement. Scratched that idea.

I shall try the flat head method.

Bigdyno: Andrea? nope..

·
Registered
899 Posts
My feeling is that that latch at the bottom is all varnished up. I'd be inclined to remove the tank, drain it, and then, with the tank upside down, pour in a bunch of carb cleaner and leave it soak.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
How many degrees of rotation does the key turn? If it is about 90, then you have probably sheared the protrusions off the bottom of the lock plug.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I had this happen on a brand new vstrom. Luckily, I had enough gas to get home. No amount of jiggling, wd, or tapping would work. I even tried getting in there with wire to trip the cap. No go.
Fortunately, the gas cap assembly can be removed on stroms and thats what I had to do. Never found anything wrong - no dirt - no varnish. Put if back together and never had another problem. Needless to say, I pack the necessary wrench to get the assembly off because I still tighten up every time I gas up.
I feel your pain.

Could be a good lesson for all of us to lube the cap mechanism once in awhile.

·
Registered
695 Posts
[QUOTTry to press down on the fuel cap to release any pressure on the latch mechanism,
maybe it might turnE][/QUOTE]

Ditto

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Flat head screw driver didn't work.

Pressure didnt work either.

The key turns nearly 90 degrees.

My next try will be David Morrow's suggestion.

Gonna take the tank off, drain it.

ON ANOTHER NOTE:

Since the bike is not running at the moment. I had just purchased a new battery.. i dont want it to lose charge while i'm working on the kr1. You guys have any suggestions what kind of battery charger I should buy? The guy at the bike shop said there are "smart" chargers now. Ones that only charge the battery when it needs it... so you can just keep it plugged to the wall.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
899 Posts
Flat head screw driver didn't work.

ON ANOTHER NOTE:

Since the bike is not running at the moment. I had just purchased a new battery.. i dont want it to lose charge while i'm working on the kr1. You guys have any suggestions what kind of battery charger I should buy? The guy at the bike shop said there are "smart" chargers now. Ones that only charge the battery when it needs it... so you can just keep it plugged to the wall.

Thanks guys
I use a small Battery Tender - a little smart charger than I leave on all Winter long. I'm sure they won't be hard to find locally; maybe Cdn Tire. Get the smallest one they have. Should be about $35 or so I would think.

·
just having fun
4,007 Posts
i've had yuasa hot shot charger for years now. you can probably find them in any bike shop. inexpensive and works great.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I've always stored my battery with a little trickle charger (literally a wall wart, I think it's 1 amp) on a timer that turns it on for an hour, twice a week. 2 years like that, still full of juice.

If you're looking for a real smart charger, make sure you get one with "float" mode that maintains the battery; some of the automatic ones just shut off when the battery is full, don't keep the charge maintained.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I use a Ctek charger. It's the supplied charger for Lamborghini, Maserati, BMW, Aston Martin etc. I figure if it's good enough for them it's good enough for my crappy Honda.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found a moto master trickle battery charger laying around the house. How do i use it properly? There's no instructions in the box

·
Registered
754 Posts
If yours is a simple charger without any switches etc, connect the red alligator clip to positive terminal of the battery, and the black alligator clip to the negative terminal of the battery. Then connect the plug to an AC outlet. Since making and breaking electrical connections can cause spark, you don't want the battery to be too close to the AC outlet. To stop charging, always disconnect the AC power first. You want the spark to be as far away as possible from the battery. And the place you are doing the charging needs to be ventilated. Generally speaking, a trickle charger does not emit a high rate of hydrogen gas release, but the gas can accumulate, and you can never be too careful.

If your battery has battery fluid that shows a liquid level, then you need to ensure that the battery fluid is properly topped up. Otherwise, the AGM type (sealed), where the battery fluid is absorbed into a glass mat, is maintenance free.

If it is not too much trouble, can you post a picture of your charger.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts