BC Sport Bikes Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a KLR 650, riding for about 4 months, put about 7000 km on it. I chose this as a beginner bike due to its low power, low cost, cheap insurance.

I am not really into off road riding and am thinking about getting a streetbike next year. I thought the FZ 6 would be a good choice as it is practical, upright for better visibility in traffic, has good range, but seems to still be quick on twisty roads.

There seem to be some issues with fuel injection and throttle response, though, and I have read some reviews that indicate problems with smooth shifting.

Has anyone got any experience with this bike? I would be interested in any good or bad points. BTW, I would be using this bike for commuting and for weekend rides. I also plan to take some longer trips (Kootenays, for example).

Thanks for any opinions.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I currently own a KLR 650, riding for about 4 months, put about 7000 km on it. I chose this as a beginner bike due to its low power, low cost, cheap insurance.

I am not really into off road riding and am thinking about getting a streetbike next year. I thought the FZ 6 would be a good choice as it is practical, upright for better visibility in traffic, has good range, but seems to still be quick on twisty roads.

There seem to be some issues with fuel injection and throttle response, though, and I have read some reviews that indicate problems with smooth shifting.

Has anyone got any experience with this bike? I would be interested in any good or bad points. BTW, I would be using this bike for commuting and for weekend rides. I also plan to take some longer trips (Kootenays, for example).

Thanks for any opinions.
Also consider a used 2001-2005 FZ1. I've got a 2001 that I use for daily commuting as well as the occasional 3 day/1600 km ride.

Here's a link to check out as well. Good luck.

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/review_list.asp

·
Poser Emeritus
2,732 Posts
I currently own a KLR 650, riding for about 4 months, put about 7000 km on it. .
What year is KLR and let me know when it is for sale

·
Smooth Operator
642 Posts
I heard it is a great starter street bike, but i have also heard it doesnt have that much power, so you may get bored of it after a while...Have you considered something with a little more torque and HP, like the CBR600 F4I, or sometthing?

·
Member of BCSBTUA
474 Posts
I have a 05FZ6, good power and easy on the wriste, and kind to my rear end.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll be looking at selling the KLR next spring or early summer. It's got 7000 road KM on it, no offroad time. Not yet dropped, Progressive front suspension, large front brake rotor, braided brake line and aftermarket pegs. It also has a larger sprocket for better highway travel. Unfortunately I didn't keep the original sprocket.
Also has a hard top case and a Wolfman tank bag.

I have considered an F4i, a friend of mine has one and is quite happy with it. I thought I would like a more upright position, though and I think the FZ is a better deal for the money. I'll probably test an F4i, however and also a Honda 599 and Suzuki SV650.

·
Poser Emeritus
2,732 Posts
I heard it is a great starter street bike, but i have also heard it doesnt have that much power, so you may get bored of it after a while...Have you considered something with a little more torque and HP, like the CBR600 F4I, or sometthing?
I want one to ride to Prudoe Bay and Inuvik

·
Get to da choppah!
1,133 Posts
Send a PM to Jefferay, he has an '06 and is quite happy with it. Has racked up quite a few km's too.

Personally, I don't like the look of the nose one bit. The fact that the transparent windscreen goes right to the healights is ugly imo. Now the FZ1.... *that's* a nice looking bike :)

·
I'm hungry...
716 Posts
Corwin, the FZ6 is a good commuter bike and a long distance ride bike. I've taken my all over town, and all the way to Halifax. It gets great gas mileage, the position is comfortable, it's nimble and easy to ride.

The throttle position sensor problem has been solved in the 2006 models, and all the prior models with problems are all being fixed for free under the service bulletin. I would say the fuel injection is more twitchy than a carb bike, and I kinda just learned to live with it. Also, the clutch has a small friction zone, and took me some practice to get use to.

It's a decent price bike. If you want to do mods, a ton of R6 parts work for the FZ6.

·
Behind the great firewall
448 Posts
Based on moving from the KLR, you might actually prefer the Vstrom 650. It would feel a lot like the KLR, but much more powerful, better brakes, better handling. One issue moving from a thumper to a 4 would be lack of low end torque, and the FZ6 is really bad for low end torque.

Just a thought.

·
High Five
344 Posts
Based on moving from the KLR, you might actually prefer the Vstrom 650. It would feel a lot like the KLR, but much more powerful, better brakes, better handling. One issue moving from a thumper to a 4 would be lack of low end torque, and the FZ6 is really bad for low end torque.

Just a thought.
Hmm...the FZ6 is tuned lower than an R6 and therefore gets its power at lower rpms. I've never had any trouble with power at the low end, and contrary to an earlier post, I wouldn't call it under powered at all unless you're heading for the track.

The shifting isn't that smooth, especially at low speeds so you need some pretty good throttle/clutch control. Otherwise, it's a really good bike.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Corwin, if you look at the SV you may want to figure on a LSL bar kit in with the deal since the clipons on the sporty version are quite racey. But if you're touring much at all you'll want the fairing.

I rode a buddy's SV'S with the LSL kit and it was VERY nice. It was our own Dizzy's bike in fact.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hmm...the FZ6 is tuned lower than an R6 and therefore gets its power at lower rpms. I've never had any trouble with power at the low end, and contrary to an earlier post, I wouldn't call it under powered at all unless you're heading for the track.

The shifting isn't that smooth, especially at low speeds so you need some pretty good throttle/clutch control. Otherwise, it's a really good bike.
+1. I've put 30,000 km on my 2004 FZ6, and I smiled at the "doesn't have enough power" comment. Clearly this is coming from someone who has not ridden one, or has a 'busa. Now, if you're planning on towing a trailer, it may not have enough torque :laughing. Granted I'm no heavyweight, but cranking the power on hard in first or second will lift the front wheel, which is plenty for me.

Although there has been a recall on the throttle position sensor, mine has never displayed the problem. I don't find the shifting rough, although the clutch could be smoother. Other than that, I don't know what else I could want in a bike. I've done 15 hour rides and felt nothing other than normal fatigue. Very comfy bike, and probably a great commuter, although I don't ride mine around town.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the responses.

I'm very partial to this bike in terms of versatility, bang for the buck and looks. It'll come down to testing this as well as a few others (I may try the Wee Strom, F4i, Honda 599, SV650S, maybe the Kawi 750). I'll let you know which one it is in the spring!:thumbup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts