BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just modified my stock exhaust on my 02' yamaha r6 a few weeks ago by taking the baffles out. But when I went for a ride the other day my fuel lite came on about 40 kms sooner then normal. Iam pretty sure I set my odometer when I got fuel last, but if not could this be do to the exhaust mod

Hope to here back THANKS

·
this is my...boomstick!
1,545 Posts
You understand that fuel consumption can vary due to alot of factors, right? Bike mileage in cold weather like this sucks. To minimise the attributional errors, you need to run a few tanks through it.

How's it sound baffles out? How's the throttle response? :)

CR

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CrotchetyRocket said:
You understand that fuel consumption can vary due to alot of factors, right? Bike mileage in cold weather like this sucks. To minimise the attributional errors, you need to run a few tanks through it.

How's it sound baffles out? How's the throttle response? :)

CR
Thanks for the reply. I guess your right, I'll just have to run a few tanks through and wait for some warm wheather to see what it does. And the bike sounds awsome, well worth the time to save $400-$500. The throttle has a little more snap then normal.

·
this is my...boomstick!
1,545 Posts
Most EFI bike operate primarily off tables and so, even they have limited flexibility in the fuel curve. Far more significant than the denser air is the protracted warmup and low engine operating temperature that comes with winter. This leads to poor fuel mixing and dropout which makes for inefficient burning.

Carbeurator bikes have no assist in this area whatsoever and are even more adversely affected.

CR

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
When I lived in Ontario you could really see the difference in mileage on the car. I didn't notice it at all on the bike since it was tucked away nice and secure from the -20C temperatures.... :D

Personally I suspect that while our cooler weather plays a part I think Cos hit the nail on the head in this case and you're just playing with it more to hear the sound.

Another option is that with less back pressure and the lean condition that comes with that you're finding that you need to twist more to get past the little burble and then it kicks in. It all depends on how much of a change it actually made to the backpressure the engine sees.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cosworth said:
You were probably revving it higher and for longer with the new pipe to hear it. You used more fuel.
You right I have been reving it more since I changed the exhaust, but do you think it would effect my milage that much

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
You bet! These babies drink the giggle juice! If I take it easy i get 200+ km before the light comes on. If I ride it like it's stolen I get about 140-160km before that shitty light comes on! Since i put my akroplopalopavich pipe on this winter...it has been coming on at like 155km. i think coz i like revin it more....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts