BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
WHOOOOSSHHHHHH...
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an older bike so i don't really bother winterizing it, plus i have it insured year-round and take it out anytime it's sunny/dry out. anyhoo...with all the rain, i haven't taken her out since nov and given the nice day yesterday, decided to go for a rip...before i left, made sure everything was functioning as normal and when i tried opening my tank, the lock was a bit tough to turn. i put some WD40 and checked it again later on, but still the same. any ideas on how to remedy this? not sure if it's the actual lock that's the problem, or if it's the little nub that actually "locks" the cap in place...help! need to put gas in!:surrender

·
Newbie Poser Squid
2,709 Posts
Use a propane torch.

JK. It may help if you push down on the gas cap while turning; it nmay take a bit of effort on twisting the key. Gasoline down not lubricate very well so the locking cam tend to stick a bit. Be careful you don't sanp the key though.

·
Twin A
8,019 Posts
you could take it to a locksmith, they'll have some graphite and some special tricks to lubricate it.

·
Not a sexual innuendo
239 Posts
Johnny_B said:
i had the same problem...a bunch of pounding on it 2 bent keys and some 3in1 oil had it opening like a charm
hahaha

um make sure its the right key? might have a different one for your ignition and tank lock and have forgotten over the winter?

·
Registered
978 Posts
thehump said:
hahaha

um make sure its the right key? might have a different one for your ignition and tank lock and have forgotten over the winter?
no it was the right key...it was just really stiff good thing i had 3 keys for it :D plust i ride it year round so theres no chance of forgetting

1 - 7 of 7 Posts