BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an interesting video covering gasoline octanes. While it is U.S. based, and does NOT cover the devastating effects of ethanol on components, and unfortunately does NOT fully explain how high octane prevents knock/pre-ignition/pinging, it does explain low tier and top tier gasoline additives. It does explain also, that you are now officially allowed to publicly laugh out loud at persons exclaiming higher fuel economy and power when using higher octane fuels.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
In the early 2000s BC enacted emission/environmental legislation that made changes to the specifics of fuel sold in this province (in 2002 iirc). I'm sure if you Googled it you would find more accurate info than what I post. Those of us in the automotive tuning scene at the time noticed it immediately, and there were even a few tuners who did back to back dyno/tuning runs comparing BC and Washington fuel, and BC was generally about 2-3 octane points lower than Washington.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the early 2000s BC enacted emission/environmental legislation that made changes to the specifics of fuel sold in this province (in 2002 iirc). I'm sure if you Googled it you would find more accurate info than what I post. Those of us in the automotive tuning scene at the time noticed it immediately, and there were even a few tuners who did back to back dyno/tuning runs comparing BC and Washington fuel, and BC was generally about 2-3 octane points lower than Washington.
Completely agree that Province of British Columbia Government has determined higher standards of refinement and detergent additive package unique in the Western Hemisphere. That cost is $.09/litre at the pump, before the layers of tax we are charged. Gasbuddy former moderator and former Federal MP Dan McTeague noted this a few years ago. He made no mention of octane accuracy on the pumps. Regardless, I have chosen to run the lowest pump rated octane 0%ethanol gas in my bikes. When the borders are open, I run and buy gas from the nearest 0 ethanol pump to our location, that being 90 octane pump in Lynden, across the street from NAPA. Generally $.30/litre cheaper than 91 Shell here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts