1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Poser Emeritus
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They seem to be having some good delas at Newenough on mens and ladies gear

http://www.newenough.com/product_department_closeouts.htm

To halt the inevitable question ship to the letter carrier in pt roberts

pay the taxes - pst and gst, I have never been charged any duty on any motorcycle gear

·
Registered Abuser
2,051 Posts
I buy from them all the time. I just got my JP Balistic 5.0 pants from them 2 weeks ago for $170 CND shipped inc GST & PST

Oh and I just get it shipped directly to my house.

·
Posing with conviction
5,397 Posts
kuldip said:
I buy from them all the time. I just got my JP Balistic 5.0 pants from them 2 weeks ago for $170 CND shipped inc GST & PST

What kind of shipping? USPS, FedEx?

·
Posing with conviction
5,397 Posts
GSP said:
If you're shipping it to a Canadian address, you'd want to use USPS.
Yeah I know the drill that's why I was asking. USPS is a great alternative to FedEx International Priority.

My biggest concern with cross border is brokerage fees. USPS and FedEx International Priority avoid this but the latter is more expensive (obviously).

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
If you order anything from the States, avoid UPS (not to be mistaken with USPS... US Postal Service) at all costs. They add a hefty "brokerage" fee along with any taxes.

·
Addicted to speed
237 Posts
Yup brokerage fees are the worst, I bought my joe rocket blaster online and stupidly enough used UPS and not only did it take quite a while for it to get here cause it must have sat at the border or something, but there was a $90 brokerage fee...needless to say I was pretty sour about my shipping choice.

·
Posing with conviction
5,397 Posts
JHinds said:
Yup brokerage fees are the worst, I bought my joe rocket blaster online and stupidly enough used UPS and not only did it take quite a while for it to get here cause it must have sat at the border or something, but there was a $90 brokerage fee...needless to say I was pretty sour about my shipping choice.
UPS is just freakin slow. Their "hubs" for shipping are less centralized than FedEx. So stuff can from california get shipped say to a hub in Texas and then over to the eastern seaboard to another hub and they go through detroit and then back over to Vancouver. Plus you have the delay with customs as they do not have a streamlined a system as FedEx does with bonded in house brokers and so on.

UPS bites. And yes their usual insistence on not providing you with the service of brokerage as FedEx does with International Priority.

I get a lot of computer related shit from the states and I will pay for FedEx International Priority just to know the price when it lands and know that it will arrive in a day or two with no ifs, ands or buts or lack of predictable tracking. None of which I have been able to get with UPS.

I didn't know USPS was so good and so cheap until recently so now I have them in my arsenal of choices when purchasing from the States.

·
Registered
446 Posts
lilfizzer said:
most of the time they'll ship FEDEX ground.
I stand corrected. I had my stuff sent to Pt. Roberts and that was shipped by FEDEX ground. I think within the continental US they send via FEDEX ground mostly. My bad.

·
Registered
229 Posts
kuldip said:

Since the bulk of these clothing items / shoes are made in China, Korea, or Vietnam, do you typically get slapped with hefty duties along with GST/PST?

-Rick

·
My Twitter: SH1FTG34R
1,891 Posts
kuldip said:

Off Topic:

Your avatar is going to give me effing nightmares, fuck that shit is scary!

·
Posing with conviction
5,397 Posts
kanelupis said:
fedex likes to charge at the door

UPS doesn't, thought their costs off set that (almost offset)
If you use FedEx international priority all the brokerage costs are rolled in. I have also experienced way fewer duties due to them tagging them as offshore manufactured. My experience has been if you use DHL (God help you) or UPS there is a good chance you will get nailed with offshore manufacturer duties if the item is clearly marked as made in the Far East somewhere.

FedEx International Priority or USPS or bust.

·
Ion Supply
798 Posts
Great people.
I placed an order with them and was shipped by USPS. Somehow USPS shipped to a wrong address and they couldn't track it down anymore, i called newenough and they sent out the order again by fedex, i got it in a week.

·
Registered
229 Posts
But even with duties, taxes, and international shipp, it still works out to be cheaper than buying locally, right? (If you stick to USPS, that is.)

-Rick

·
Registered
416 Posts
Traum said:
But even with duties, taxes, and international shipp, it still works out to be cheaper than buying locally, right? (If you stick to USPS, that is.)

-Rick
I like to support the local shops where I can, but most all of my gear is bought online. I consistantly pay half of what the same product sell for up here. Do your research, decide what you want and what size, and you will find it at a great price online. Just to as the others say and avoid UPS, it is best to ship it to a post office across the border in Blaine or Point Roberts as I do.

·
Registered Abuser
2,051 Posts
Traum said:
Since the bulk of these clothing items / shoes are made in China, Korea, or Vietnam, do you typically get slapped with hefty duties along with GST/PST?

-Rick
I have yet to pay any brokerage fees.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts