BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My lady and I have geared up to get back on the road after a long absence. Here is the list of what I went with.

Boots - Icon Reign
Pants - Olympia Ranger 2 (me) & Pro Max (her)
Jackets- Olympia AST 2 in pewter & Triumph Falcon (Summer mesh)
Gloves - Joe Rocket Highside (me) & Alpinestar Stella Tyla (her) & Triumph Falcon (Summer mesh)
Helmets- Bell RS-1 Blue Cataclysm w/Transitions photochromic shield (primary) & HJC CL-16 Matte Black (backup)
Comm. - Sena SMH10

We have plans to get a Triumph Sprint GT, hence the Triumph Falcon jackets. When we first started getting the gear together I did not know who had the Bell RS-1 in the Vancouver area and thought I would have to order them in. Bought the HJC's to get us through until then. Thanks to this forum, I found the RS-1's at Daytona a week later.

Got to try the gear out yesterday afternoon with a ride up to Cultus Lake. Started out cool and windy while I took back roads from Panorama Village to Aldergrove, up on HWY 1 for a shot to #3 rd. Got to Cultus Lake about 4:30, just as it started to rain with a few snow flakes mixed in just for fun. Came back on Majuba Hill Road in a complete down pour. Used Vye (8th Ave,/ Huntingdon Rd.). Then lower roads back to Panorama Village, getting back around 6:30.

Evaluation -
The Olympia gear was outstanding, staying dry and warm (a bit cooler on the last leg after sundown) with just sweatpants, undershirt & long sleeve tee underneath.

Reign boots preformed very well, feet stayed dry and warm. Could have used a bit heavier sock at the end.

Bell RS-1 was great, comfortable and vented well. The shield worked as advertised, which is nice for those of use who wear glasses. The shield did seem to have quite a bit of glare with oncoming headlights. Not sure if there might have been a bit of film on it or not. Will give it a good cleaning before going out again.

The weakest link is the gloves. Cannot say as I am too surprised as it was the only piece I did not research. For riding in less cool/dryer weather the Highsider's should do the trick.

As this was a solo ride, I did not use the intercom function. I did use the phone off the start and the sound was great on both sides of the conversation. Lost the Bluetooth connection about 10 minutes into the call. Reset connection, when I stopped for gas, then listened to music off my phone up to Cultus. The sound was good, though my ears are a bit plugged while I get over a cold.

Overall, I am very pleased with the choice in the gear. Hope this helps anyone else out there with gear choices.

·
Three hour tour guide
8,750 Posts
.........Evaluation -
The Olympia gear was outstanding, staying dry and warm (a bit cooler on the last leg after sundown) with just sweatpants, undershirt & long sleeve tee underneath.
I've had Olympia stuff for a long time now, you can't beat it!

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Triumph also makes a branded leather/waterproof glove called the explorer. Both Alex and Mike at Savage Cycles wear them, all winter. Swear by them, and so do most of the customer here on the island that ride with them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Triumph also makes a branded leather/waterproof glove called the explorer. Both Alex and Mike at Savage Cycles wear them, all winter. Swear by them, and so do most of the customer here on the island that ride with them.

Thanks, I will have to check them out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts