BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Get this fixed, or get new gloves?

4K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  bacchus40 
#1 ·
Few days ago one finger seam on my Held gloves has come undone. Had these for few years, so I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. Question is, should I get it repaired, or just buck up and buy new set of gloves.

See less See more
#8 ·
kangaroo leather is very soft and i dont think its entirely the stitching's fault.. i had similar happen to my Titans.. i will be sending them off to this dude stateside who is very knowledgeable in glove repairs.
i too purchase a set of all season Dainese gloves and they are going strong.. they were meant to be a 2nd set mostly for touring but I really like 'em so I havent bothered fixing the Held's yet.

I wish i'd known this was an issue before purchase, but then thats life :(

See what I did there?
i knew you'd be posting up on this thread :laughing

#3 ·
haha well played, well played indeed. Well these held up for 20K and saw a low slide that didnt do much. It just happened out of nowhere. Stitching just came undone somehow. In all honesty I have no idea if there is some sort of mileage that gloves last before they start to come apart at seams. I cant see them lasting forever, thats for sure

#4 ·
If you don't want to (or can't) do it yourself, it's a relatively easy fix for anyone with an industrial sewing machine and some thread on the beefier side

#7 ·
I had a pair of Held Akiras back in '05. Exact same thing happened after 2 months. They replaced them, no problem. The same thing happened before the end of the season. I kept using them with the finger duct taped for most of '06, and then bought a cheap pair of Dainese gloves. The Dainese gloves are still going strong and its what I'm using today.

However, I didn't learn my lesson, because a pair of Held Titan Evos are in the mail (ordered Phantom II's in January but they last told me I wouldn't see them until August... They had Titans in stock). Not thrilled about the sewn together Ring & Pinky for the street, but whatever. I'm a gear whore and I'm ok with it.

#9 ·
I use kangaroo leather gloves, and I'm on my 3rd pair in about 8 years... and these ones I am currently using are still mint.

Having said that, they fell on a heater and got shrunk in the palm... and if I can't stretch them out a bit more I am going to have to
toss them.

That's a stitching problem, not a worn out glove you have there. Just fix it.

#18 ·
That's a stitching problem, not a worn out glove you have there. Just fix it.
fair enough after 2nd look... i just find such leather doesnt like to get wet, or at least in my case as it sprung a hole on mIDDLE finger of clutch hand... seen more than a few
rainy days here n' there while touring, granted not a good choice for touring; in my case not a stitching issue.

rest of the gloves are in very good condition which is why i'm just gonna have mine fixed.. i may just get it done locally

#13 ·
When a seam comes apart on my glove all I ever think is that ''I should have bought better gloves'' or ''Damn it I hate it when that finger gets cold like this'' or ( my personal favorite) ''I wonder where my grandson put my newest gloves''

I rode from home to Langley and back this weekend, wearing my summer gloves from 2 years ago.

My fingers are burned to a crisp on the inside (damn are heated grips hot, or what?), with ice crystals on the knuckles.

Buy some new gloves!

I don't want to be the only one:(

#14 ·
Any decent hockey shop will have access to a seamstress familiar with sewing & repairing fingered gloves

#15 ·
I have a place across Cambie bridge that I already took these gloves to to get a small fix (left glove) She is great seamstress that dealt with riding gear before, and does fast and good job in fixing these small issues. Place is called Stitchers. Small hole in the ground on Broadway and Cambie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.