BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Getting some gear from stats and going to bring them over the border next weekend. ( I do support local business except I have a special offer from this online merchant.) I have some questions regarding tax and duty.

Things to bring:
A pair of boots [Made in China]
A Helmet [Made in Japan]
A Visor [Made in Japan]
A tank pad [Made in US]

I know that we did not have to pay PST for the helmet since its protective gear, but since HST came in practice last year, I wonder:

Do I pay full 12% for helmets now instead of 6%?
What is the percentage for duty to pay for items not made in US? Is it 6%?
How do I proof the helmet is under tax exemption ?

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
23,552 Posts
Gears from stats....ok then. Bottom line, it will be hit and miss with respect
to what you pay, if anything. There's the "law", then there's a gray area that
some border officers will play with.

My suggestion, when doing your competitive analysis with respect to price, use
the worst case scenario.....if you get lucky, like so many of us do, then it's gravy.

·
Eschew obfuscation
765 Posts
If the boots can be called motorcycle safety gear, I believe they should be exempt as well.

A little tip, if you order motorcycle stuff from Oregon (Motorcycle Superstore is based there, for example) you pay no sales tax, no duty, and if you can swing free shipping you're paying exactly what you see on the website.

Tires are hella cheap if you do this.

·
NOOOOOB
2,631 Posts
Hit or miss, I've gone thru over dozen times with lots motorcycle parts and gear thru point Bobby, without being asked to pay.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

the worst case scenario.....if you get lucky, like so many of us do, then it's gravy.
Yes, I did use the worst case scenario and it's still a good deal. : )

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hit or miss, I've gone thru over dozen times with lots motorcycle parts and gear thru point Bobby, without being asked to pay.
My buddy will pick up for me since he went there once to twice per week over the past two years, wondering if that will increase a chance to 'miss'.

·
AKA Newfie Girl
2,321 Posts
Why boots only? I thought I need to pay for helmet specifically only.
duties do not apply to motorcycle parts, nor helmets.

i have yet to find a listing for motorcycle boots?safety gear that exempts shoes from duty. therefore, 20% duty applies to the boots.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
yup. hit and miss. the larger to order, the more likely you'll be asked to pay. There really is not set limit as to when you pay or not; it is at the discretion of the border guard on duty at the booth you drive up to.

·
BCSB Public Relations
10,285 Posts
I've crossed many times with around $200 worth of goods and haven't been asked to pay a single time. I've also crossed a couple times with $500+ worth of stuff, and have been asked to pay.

If your buddy is willing to go pick up some stuff for you, why not split the stuff between two cars to decrease the value of goods in each car? Be creative, but don't bs the border guards. And have receipts ready.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
duties do not apply to motorcycle parts, nor helmets.

i have yet to find a listing for motorcycle boots?safety gear that exempts shoes from duty. therefore, 20% duty applies to the boots.
I think you are right. I found riding boots will be 20% from Canadian Tarrif Schedule 2011. The riding boots is under Tarrif Item 64011011. Page: 137

I didn't find helmet, nor any other relative item information regarding gear.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've crossed many times with around $200 worth of goods and haven't been asked to pay a single time. I've also crossed a couple times with $500+ worth of stuff, and have been asked to pay.

If your buddy is willing to go pick up some stuff for you, why not split the stuff between two cars to decrease the value of goods in each car? Be creative, but don't bs the border guards. And have receipts ready.
Right, thing is boots and helmet costs > $200. But I guess its worth a try. Thanks!!

·
Jhza
114 Posts
Exactly, hit or miss. I've been tagged for a low as $100, I guess boarder guard was in bad mood. As for what gets duty and what doesn't, I don't think the customs boarder guard knows off the top of their head and neither does their computer. Anyone on this forum that works for the boarder services to clarify?

If the boots can be called motorcycle safety gear, I believe they should be exempt as well.

A little tip, if you order motorcycle stuff from Oregon (Motorcycle Superstore is based there, for example) you pay no sales tax, no duty, and if you can swing free shipping you're paying exactly what you see on the website.

Tires are hella cheap if you do this.
Motorcycle Supersotre is interesting because they seem to be the only ones who will acutally pre-charge you 15% on your items to pass customs if you ship direct to Canada. Friends and I have never been charged on top of this 15%. Done it 3 times so far.

Mollyg, I hope you're right cause I could use some tires, maybe I'll give Point Roberts a try with Motorcycle Superstore.

·
Registered
794 Posts
+1 for Motorcycle Superstore. I order all my parts from them, never any problems at the border. Just picked up a set of Pilot Road 2s for less than $250. You can barely get the rear for less than that here.

·
+1
2,281 Posts
You cannot bring anything up for someone else. Only the helmet is safety gear as it's required, everything else isn't officer discretion.

The busier the border the more likely a guard might wave it off - I find. I've paid duty on less than $100, been waved off for over $1000. Good luck.

·
NOOOOOB
2,631 Posts
As for what gets duty and what doesn't, I don't think the customs boarder guard knows off the top of their head and neither does their computer. Anyone on this forum that works for the boarder services to clarify?
They half dozen times i've gone into to pay duty, over the years, they dinged me for the tax, no duty on top, they would rather get it over than try to figure out the products origin = duty %.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts

yup... i always budget for TX.. sometimes i get lucky.. some not so much... i'm happy with
the way the border officials handle this.. strictly a case by case matter...

either way its still way cheaper than buying local so i always come back home with a smile.. ;)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts