BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Getting into racing on a budget

10K views 114 replies 45 participants last post by  Frosty 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a few friends that want to put together an informal evening to talk about how to get into racing in BC for less money.

I think that there are a lot of riders that would love to try out racing but are intimidated by the costs - or at least what they're heard about the costs.

I am just wondering who might be interested in this... if there's enough interest I think there will be an info night in Chilliwack and then one in Pitt Meadows.

Post up if you have any questions and/or you might be interested so we can get some numbers & know whether it's worthwhile to do this or not.

Cheers!! :thumbup

Edit: If you're up for trying racing there's some other options besides the larger bikes (think: ex500, gs500, 400's, 350's and 650's). One or two sets of tires for the whole season, they crash well & they're a lot of fun. This is the kind of stuff that we can talk about. We hope to have some seasoned racers there and having Brad there is not a bad idea either.

G
#2 ·
get chopshopcycle.com at the venue

hes a valuable resource for cheap icbc rebuild bikes and salvage only bikes that can be quick race bikes for cheap .Plus no worry about riding on a stolen bike out there ,all his shits legit

cept for if you see him drinking water (its not actually water. )

just Don't ask him to talk tho .lol

#3 ·
dude i would be involved in a heart beat if i could afford it!!! What kind of cost saving plans did you have in mind? if this goes through just tell me where and when!!

#8 · (Edited)
those that are interested should definately look into a track day at Troy's track daze or westcoast superbike school next year. It'll will teach you alot about your riding. I started a couple years ago and I absolutely love it. It's the best drug in the world. I can't wait until next year.

you'll go from this, to looking as cool as this guy.

#11 ·
If you really want to try racing on a budget, have a lot of fun, low stress, run tons of laps, have no politics, run one set of tires the whole season, spend only 2 grand on a bike that is capable of winning....... well you want to start off on YSR's, NSR's, or mini-motards.

You don't have to worry about crashing them and if you do crash you're allowed to get back up and keep going unlike big bikes at mission. Believe it or not it, once you've tried it, it's just as much fun. Ask Bruce or even Spero.

Check out the Pacific Coast Mini Roadracing Club. http://www.miniracingbc.com/

#12 ·
Im, gonna be running my new bike a H R C RS 250 GP bike , allways wanted one, a true race bike . Grew up riding 2 strokes, and ride in a 250 style so it will be like a time warp. was gonna throw the gixxer on the track but for the cash , why not just buy the real deal .

#14 ·
I think I have met you. I know Randy as well and have wondered how Team Aftica is doing. I have a gsxr 600 i'm going to dedicate to racing but would also like to build a track bike from an icbc claim. i'd like to attend and get some ideas about costs, schedules, must haves etc.

#17 ·
well i have an 1983 Suzuki RG 250 rolling chassi with no motor... i had plans to drop an rz 350 motor and race it...if a group wanted to get togethor we could split the cost of dropping in the new motor and have a sweet 2 stroke race bike!!! then it would at least stop taking up space in my garage

#18 ·
when i get off work tonight i will throw up some pics

#20 ·
hey squire, me and a few friends are interested also. we've been doin troy's track days, and we were thinkin bout doin some racin ourselves, but the cost did make us think bout it for now. so let me know when and where and we'll be there. thanx and laterz.

#22 ·
Christ almighty! Actually that guy is not using that bike to race. He uses a 600rr for track duty.

Spending money to jazz up a trackbike is crazy because it's a goner. I just had some race glass painted at a body shop and my budget was <$200. There were some flaws in the fairings that would need filler to truly get right and the guy asks me if I want it all tip-top. I'm like, "just fuckin' paint it". Because I don't know if I'm gonna crash next week or next year but if I didn't plan on a spill I would have kept the stock plastics.

You gotta do it on the cheap. Because even if you are rich you'll wind up poor real quick if you're not frugal.

#24 ·
Is this going to be at a pub by any chance?....:devillook :drinkbeer

I've probably managed to have one of the lower operating costs for anyone that runs or ran a fairly modern 600 on "modern" race rubber. And I can vouch for the mini racing option being a ton o' fun and would like to be there to promote that option. I'd be happy to relate my own experiences if that would help out.

Is there enough intrest out in the 'Wack to justify running out that far or could we meet somewhere in the middle? Like Abby?

#25 ·
i'd love to come too....but one the the problems i have to think about is HOW to get the track bike to the track! cant always rely on borrowing a buddies truck you know, and my cars probably to small to tow one...

#26 ·
Great questions everyone. Hopefully those will be answered.

Briefly, the mini-racing is a GREAT way to keep your costs down and have a great time racing. Bruce & Steve, your input would be welcome. Once the agenda has been set I'll let you know.

If you are having problems with transporting a race bike to the track, form a team & each of you on the team can take different responsibilities... including bike transportation.

Anyways, "we" are hoping to get things set up for late January or early February... that way it will give everyone time to get ready for the race season that will probably start in April.

In the meantime, keep filling up those piggy banks to pay for the race season (and make sure you sign up for the Westcoast Superbike School race training course in the spring.

#31 ·
Briefly, the mini-racing is a GREAT way to keep your costs down and have a great time racing. Bruce & Steve, your input would be welcome. Once the agenda has been set I'll let you know.
You're certainly right about that, and while it's competitive, there's not the overabundance of it you can get in with the bigger bikes. You'll go out and bang bars and shoulders, but how serious can you get riding a YSR? :laughing

Seriously, the half dozen or so times I've gone out on them, I've had a blast, and wasn't going so fast or had such a heavy bike under me that I was worried about the consequences of binning it at "speed".

#28 ·
I raced at Mission last year.

Cost was one thing that kept from racing for many years, so I thought. Last year I decided, I am going to race no matter what. The biggest hurdle for me was the cost of the school, but I managed it. One set of tire's at the beggining lasted me all year. I raced my RZ350, It passed the sound regs no problem. As for getting your bike to the track, get together with a buddy and rent a Uhaul truck, will hold at least four bikes. Uhaul also has small motorcycle trailers that pretty much any car can tow for $25 a day if you have a hitch on your car. I didn't add all the fancy race stuff to my bike. Just did what I had too to meet the requirements and just got out on the track.(upgraded my front springs to proggressive couse the stock ones were warn out). I didn't even have steel braided brake lines or even a steering damper.

Any questions about how I sound proofed my 350 just PM me.

At the end of the season I was kicking myself for not racing years earlier when a bunch of my other friends were racing.

As my buddy told me before I decided to do it because of the cost issue: "It will always be something adventurous that you did that you will always remember. If you don't do it you will look back and regret that you didn't."

And he was RIGHT! JUST DO IT!

P.S. Just want to say: Hi! :rockon To all the ol' BCSB and Mission racing crews!!!!

#33 ·
Nancy (and all) membership fees actually got reduced by $110. The volunteer fee was eliminated and the membership fee was reduced by $10.

A huge thanks to you Nancy for taking this initiative. Send me a PM if there is anything we can do to help out with this.

#34 ·
I'm a very strong supporter of the concept of the beginner race bike. I think that too many people get caught up trying to build a supersport race bike with nice parts and forget about the most important part......riding. That's what all of the work and expense is all about. I made that mistake and most new racers I know did as well. My advice? Buy an SV or another entry level race bike, buy oil, brakes, and tires, and just ride the thing. Competition will come and soon enough you just might start trying to make the bike better but you'll have the experience behind you to make the right choices. I'll do my best to make it out. Great idea. :thumbup

#35 · (Edited)
Time & location

I just talked to our host & we've got a date. Here are the details:

When: January 15, 2007 at 7:00 p.m.
Where: Pitt Meadows Airport (see attached map)

The who & what we'll be discussing will follow once that's finalized.

There will be limited seating so PM me to confirm your attendance. If there are more people than we can accommodate then we will do another session.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.