BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
My bike has Baggage :)
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The article

Agree? Disagree?

What would you choose for each category?

Discuss

·
West Koots, I'm here....
3,226 Posts
I'd like to know what, if any, qualifications this writer has to judge motorcycles.

He seems to be missing the point of a "sportbike", stating physical discomfort. IMO, he should just rate the bikes as to their qualifications for intended purpose. He doesn't even realize the VFR800 is not a sportbike, but rather a sport-tourer. Also, he generalizes the categories too much, and leaves out all the sub-categories.

But then again, how can you take a motorcycle evaluation seriously when it's coming from "The Globe and Mail"??

·
Registered
452 Posts
I overheard once pre-schoolage boys discussion on the topic which one is the most sexy actress.

Their opinions had the same weight as Ted Laturnus's opinion about sportsbikes.

·
My bike has Baggage :)
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd like to know what, if any, qualifications this writer has to judge motorcycles.

He seems to be missing the point of a "sportbike", stating physical discomfort. IMO, he should just rate the bikes as to their qualifications for intended purpose. He doesn't even realize the VFR800 is not a sportbike, but rather a sport-tourer. Also, he generalizes the categories too much, and leaves out all the sub-categories.

But then again, how can you take a motorcycle evaluation seriously when it's coming from "The Globe and Mail"??

Yah, I agree with you. He is well known as a car reviewer and has been in that biz for longer than I can remember.

hmm, just found his website. no wonder he finds sportbikes uncomfortable. http://www.tedlaturnus.com/index.cfm?page=about

but apparently he does also review bikes there too.

http://www.tedlaturnus.com/index.cfm?page=bike

·
Flieger sind Sieger!
2,050 Posts
Want a good brainwashing? Then read mainstream media like the Globe. Otherwise, just form your own opinion, it will probably be more accurate.

·
Woof?
1,011 Posts
The Globe and Mail demographic would agree with the choices listed. But like stated above, north american auto/motorcycle reviews are bought. Just look at the lame excuse of a car review the province gives. N/A's can't standup to the manu's like the euros can. I cant read japenese so I dont know if there the same too hehe.

·
Registered
181 Posts

I totally agree. Bikes are very specific to a type of riding and should be rated as such. Obviously a race bike is not going to tour as well as a Goldwing. What the hell was this guy thinking, comparing a Viffer to a Gixxer?

·
My Twitter: SH1FTG34R
1,891 Posts
Haha, they are missing the point completly. They arn't scaling and judging the machines for what they can do but for the potential they have but they are judging for posing factor. It's not comfortable enough, wah wah!

"I also find bikes like Suzuki's GSX-R series to be uncomfortable racks that wear you out after 100 kilometres. In short, I'm still working on this one, but in terms of what I rode this year, I choose the Honda VFR 800 Interceptor, even though it practically killed me to ride it."

..... Then he's never sat on a 600rr and rode it for an hour, talk about a numb ass after 20 minutes. Nevermind your back, the honda makes your ass so sore...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nearly killed him to ride... a VFR 800 ?!?!?
What?!
WHAT?!?
Creep'n christ on a crutch, I give up.
I was actually considering a V-Strom a while back, but if he likes it, I don't want one.

His list should be called "Best Bikes of the Year for Sedentary Geriatrics."

He's "still working" on the sportbike issue, he says. Well, don't hurt yourself, Ted!

And to the manufacturers: Don't listen to this guy!

·
Mortgage Pimp
9,195 Posts
his is a toughie. What constitutes a sport bike? Is it the one with the most power? The fastest? The one with the best brakes? The best-handler? And how do you decide?
This guy is a journalist? That's pretty sad.

G

·
His opinions are just that and only hold as much credibility as you are willing to give them. You can disagree with them, but by definition they are not wrong.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts