- Got pulled over last summer
-S2S Hwy
-charge was 20km over the 80km limit
-I was not speeding...not kidding! made an effort not to in this area
-RCMP was pissed because some guys ripped through the trap mins. before
-Ticket has errors
-No lazer or Radar was used...Officer guestimated my speed at 20km over
-Summons has errors

Any advice? The money is not an issue...I am disputing because I was 'profiled' due to my bike,leathers, flashy lid etc...

Iam going to plead my case at 1:30pm tomm...

ANY POSITIVE INPUT IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED...IF YOU AIN"T GONNA HELP STFU.

·
Black on black crime
873 Posts
You spelled POSITIVE wrong.

:p

As for your case, talk to the cop before you go into court, he may be reasonable. If not, plead not guilty, and prepare to go to trial. Ask him if he used radar or laser to clock you, and when it was last calibrated. If he just eye'd your speed, you probably have a good chance.

·
Black on black crime
873 Posts
Oh, and don't forget, no hats in the court room, bow when entering and leaving the area where you go to talk to the judge, and refere to the judge as "your worship".

·
100%GOON
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Me Can't spell...but you can read:court ...No Radar or Lazer. As for the other stuff...tks! Appreciated! I am working so I will be wearing a suit anyway...good tips on the bow thingy

·
Black on black crime
873 Posts
I know, I am just suggesting you ask, because if you don't bring it up, the judge won't know!

·
100%GOON
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a statement I am working on right now...Keeping it very trim to the point. The speaking to the Officer part is a great tip. The Ticket is only for $140 (no big deal) as I mentioned it's the concept I have issues with.

·
Black on black crime
873 Posts
He may be willing to just throw the ticket out. It all depends on his attitude.

D

·
0 Posts
some errors are excusable. like anything in the shaded areas on the ticket. an error there has no bearing on the outcome, unfortunately. which means that a cop can, in theory, sit on a bench, guess at addresses, vehicle makes, licenses, and get a hit.

you will be asked if you know how accurate your speedo is. i would suggest you get a gps fast, and test your speedo against it. my judge was shocked i did that, and knew how far out it was. if you say you were doing 80, and the speedo was out 5%, you would be within an acceptable range of speed. if you say you were doing 80, and the speedo was out 20%, you'd be in his range of offense.

the cop will testify he is an expert at judging speed, with this and that as training, and he will provide examples of how he can be called an expert.
you will be asked what your expertise in judging speed is. saying you were looking at the speedo at the time is considered a smart ass answer.

if you have proof his sight was impaired, or he was doing several other things while monitoring your speed, you have a chance. ask how far away he was monitoring you from, and if it is an outrageous distance, ask how he could judge the speed of something the size of a pea coming directly at him.

i am going to have fun with my court case next month. i got yanked for "passing on the right". i pulled onto the shoulder for a train.

·
100%GOON
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GPS ain't gonna happen as I am ditching work to show up. I pulled my Driver's record and it is PERFECT..NOTHING, NADDA, ZIP...no dui,no speeding etc...EVER. I am thinking that being polite, respectful BUT firm is my only chance. I don't know anyone that can estimate a +/- of 20km on a two wheeled object in motion at an approx. distance of 300m+!!! I have a very optamistic feeling that I am going to be "All Good". There are just to many objective calls and errors to rule against me...That and the fact its 20km in question...That being said if I get ruled against does the 'points' penalty apply to this year? (My B-day was in March)?

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
No negative comments here, your case is what the dispute system is designed for. Not for guilty people to try and dodge a ticket.

Good luck.

·
Its quiet in here!
524 Posts
All I have to say is cops lie to your face and the judge. I had to fight one, he said I was doing 160 km/h thru the windy road coming off the Alex Fraser Bridge to New West, in my 90 Grand Am. I got his report, which was totally different than what happened and he had the worng speed on there from the ticket, I took photos of the road, got records of my cars stopping distance from the manufacter, showed it was impossible due to where I stopped after he waved at me, and he was writing a ticket to another person???????????? and more, I showed the judge, cross examined the cop, was polite and I lost. WTF?????? Anyhow, court is 50/50, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, :(

·
Registered
42 Posts
If it goes to you and the cop testifying, you'll have the opportunity to cross examine him. If you disagree with anything he says, don't be shy about calling him on it.:2cents

I went to court over a parking ticket about a year ago. I did not see a "No Stopping" sign and the parking meter had a sticker saying there was no parking between X hours, but the sticker had been scratched off. When I ha dthe opportunity to ask the meter guy questions, I asked him if he specifically check the condition of the meter and any stickers on stating restricted hours. The dude out and out lied, saying he did check and the meter was labeled. I called him on it and asked how that could be when I checked it upon returning to my car and found only the unreadable remnants of a sticker.

I don't think the judge wanted to call the guy a lier, but he stated the sign said No Stopping and I was parked, making it unclear and possibly misleading. It sounded pretty lame to me but I got the message and I'm sure the meter guy got it as well. Case dismissed :rockon

But then, you might just get lucky. I had a speeding ticky some years ago and the cop forgot a piece of paper from the lease company that owned the car. Case dismissed :rockon

Good luck !!

·
Still defying gravity...
2,853 Posts
Pitdogboy said:
I am working so I will be wearing a suit anyway...

I think I'll show up just to see you in a suit, sucka :laughing

Kidding aside, good luck Doog - the way you described it the other day, you've got a good chance - good luck and post up the results.

·
100%GOON
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks Tony...A little Hugo Boss helps hide the truth my friend...

I be sure to let you mofo's the know outcome.

·
Registered
913 Posts
THe GF and I fought ours a couple of months back.... In my case the cop was a no show, in hers only 1 of the 2 issuing cops showed, the one cop said his partner had all the 'evidence'.... and that was dismissed also!!

Hopefully, luck will be on your side and the same will happen. Curious to hear what the outcome is.

·
Ridin' Dirty
852 Posts
I disputed a ticket where the officer had guesstimated my speed, I lost and lost bad. THe officer will attest to his training, his number of years doing it and his glorious wonderful soild record, blah blah blah. I brought up the fact the officer wears glasses and had tinted windows in his ghost van, the distance at which he notice me to where I was stopped and how fast a bike could accelerate in that space plus other various things...they pulled out my driving record and the judge also brought up the fact I was on my way to riding the S2S and how dangerous it is and how I might not be alive to dispute another ticket if I continue to ignore the speed limit and the roads I choose blah blah blah. The officer will offer you a decrease in the fine in exchange for pleading guilty. Fight every ticket, good on you!

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
when the officer testifies that he's an expert in judging speed anyone ever pull the gimmick by holding a pencil at shoulder height and dropping it and asking him exactly how fast the pencil was going before it hit the ground?

·
Black on black crime
873 Posts
Tattoodles said:
when the officer testifies that he's an expert in judging speed anyone ever pull the gimmick by holding a pencil at shoulder height and dropping it and asking him exactly how fast the pencil was going before it hit the ground?

Lmao, ask him to do that, then get him to go get his radar gun and clock it.:laughing

·
just having fun
4,007 Posts
good luck to you!

btw i got my notice of the court date and it says that the cop gonna participate via teleconference. do i have a chance at all? or should i just forget about it? sorry i digress.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts