BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

Good price for 2002 Suzuki GSX-R600?

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  sunnypants 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am looking into buying a used suzuki GSXR-600 2002 model off an ad from craigslist. The bike's frame seems to be in good condition it has never been i nan accident. It has frame sliders so if it was dropped it should be protected although u can see scrapes on the protectors. The tires are 70% and the back light doesnt seem to work when the front brake is on, the bike was in neutral if this changes anything about the light but i dont think it should. Also, the odometer is only 8000 km which seems awkwardly low for such an old bike, maybe some foul play may be involved with tampering but im not sure. There is also a crack in the plastic covering the front wheels brakes. Other than that the bike seems clean. The guy offering said 4000 is a good price. What would you pay for this bike based on the description?

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
NOPE.... sounds like something is up...... 8K in 9 years???.... could be a lot of problems if the 8k was put on 4 years ago and it sat since then....

personally I think you could find a lot more bike for 4 grand.... are you a new rider? you can get a NEW CBR 250 for not much more than that, (4500 with no ABS)

edit: I looked up the ad on CL, at least I think it's the one, lot's of claims of perfection and pristine condition there, and yet you say the sliders are scratched and some plastic is broken.... to me, that makes the seller a liar, and you should be carefull what else he might be lying about...

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/mcy/2473910399.html

#4 ·
It probably needs tires, regardless of what they look like. Factor in $400 for that. Aside from that, the mileage is
probably correct. Many sportbikes are simply fashion accessories for their owners.

It's probably a $3500 bike if it was mint. They only depreciate so far.

#5 ·
Yeah i am a new driver, but i want a bike stronger than 250 so I don't outgrow it too fast.

The guy also said he got offered 3750 and he isnt in a rush to sell it so I don't know if I pitch a lower offer if he was lying and will take it or say no.

I will probably get it inspected again

#6 ·
If he got offered $3750, he's an idiot for not taking it. At this price, that bike will rot in his garage until next spring, when he will sell it for a thousand bucks cheaper. I also heard the "I got offered" line from several sellers as I was looking for a bike a few weeks ago - I'd guess it's bullshit in at least half the cases.

The bike is nothing special; if he doesn't take a decent offer, move on and find something better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.