BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when all my gear got stolen last year i also lost my packpack.. so i need a new one.. i only ride my bike in the summer and pretty much live out of my bag.. so i need a good day bag..

before i had a dakine bag that was awesome for riding and was good for just a normal day bag.. had a spot for a helmet and had a camel back.. and lots of good shit for my normall every day stuff.. is there any other companys that rivel them for quality and function..

i dont mind spending some cash to get a good bag

·
es ist orange und bellt
1,784 Posts
I have the Icon Squad back pack.....so far so good. Picked it up from e bay for $65 US.

·
Learning the hard way.
1,334 Posts
This bag's done me good. Great back support and it was only $50 from 3vets. It's an ASOLO. It's also got those 3M reflective stripes, which is a nice feature riding with Vancouver folk.

c.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I ride with a Swiss Army one, notebook computer slot, $35

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
One piece of advice for those who ride with a backpack... Never put anything in it that's larger or harder than a grapefruit. If you ever bail wearing it, that backpack will cause you a world of hurt that you could have avoided with a tank-, tail-, or saddle-bag.

·
Newbie Poser Squid
2,709 Posts
Didn't Coolio already posted an exact thread on this and got his head ripped off? Search function still work I believe.

·
Lightly seasoned...
176 Posts
I've got a Cheapo Jaguar backpack from walmart... surprisingly areo dynamic and comfy... can fit all my gear (JR jacket, pants, 2 pairs of gloves and helmet) in it easy with room for bottle of water and a snack in the main pack w/ room for stuff in the pouches. Amazing what you can find for $12 :p Only thing I could question is its survivability at speed.

·
Ride Solo
4,214 Posts
heisenberg9 said:
Hey GSP where did you pick up your bike rack?! Hope it was locally.

Finally there is a rack made for my bike.
I don't have any of the Ventura product (I've got hard bags on my bike), but from what I've seen, their stuff looks good. The company is based in New Zealand, but I've seen the stuff in catalogues at local shops--just can't remember which distributor carries it.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spike said:
One piece of advice for those who ride with a backpack... Never put anything in it that's larger or harder than a grapefruit. If you ever bail wearing it, that backpack will cause you a world of hurt that you could have avoided with a tank-, tail-, or saddle-bag.
what about riding with a backpack to school? Is that too dangerous? What alternatives are there?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
More filling!
486 Posts
dre2600 said:
I picked up a used but great condition Boblebee hard shell backpack on Ebay for less than $100 CDN shipped. Looks like this but orange: http://www.ebags.com/boblbee/megalopolis_executive_hardshell_backpack/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=17905

Try Axio hard shell backpacks too, they're supposed to be streamlined and they even have what looks like a little racing bump back protector built into it, I imagine its only somewhere functional...
I've never understood the appeal of those weird turtleback packs. Heavy, limited cargo space (i.e. not flexible, won't accomodate odd-shaped items), poor for storage (won't compress down). And frankly, I think the pack itself might be more prone to hurt you than the contents in a getoff. Aside from poser value, can anybody come up with reasons they're a good idea?

And no dre2600 I'm not flaming you.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
Ratzilla said:
what about riding with a backpack to school? Is that too dangerous? What alternatives are there?
Put simply, yes, it is dangerous. If you wipe out wearing a backpack full of books, there's a much higher chance of a back injury if you land on it.

If you're commuting to school/work/whatever on a bike, get some soft saddlebags instead, and a locker at school if you don't want to carry them around (you need a place for your helmet and other gear anyway, right?). I used a set of soft Joe Rocket bags on quick-releases on my Nighthawk for 4 years. Worked great for everything.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
stily1 said:
I've never understood the appeal of those weird turtleback packs. Heavy, limited cargo space (i.e. not flexible, won't accomodate odd-shaped items), poor for storage (won't compress down). And frankly, I think the pack itself might be more prone to hurt you than the contents in a getoff. Aside from poser value, can anybody come up with reasons they're a good idea?
I'd still like one, but not for the motorcycle. The Bob-l-bee ones do compress down, at least as far as the plastic shell anyway. They also expand to about twice that capacity if needed. You're right that they can't carry odd-shaped items that well, but so far I haven't had a need for any odd-shaped items. Good protection for a laptop plus anything you'd carry around with a laptop, and a good size for an overnight camping trip. They're shaped to hold a sleeping bag or stuffsack at the bottom on the outside, which is good padding if you slip while hiking.

I dunno... They still seem like a good idea to me, but I still wouldn't wear one riding, for the same reasons you listed.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Tank bag. Nice and safe, I can fit tons of stuff in it. It can be worn as a backpack when off the bike, plus it gives me a place to rest on long rides. :coffee

1 - 20 of 29 Posts