BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Black on black crime
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good chain/sprocket for a 99 CBR 600 F4? Sprocket is still alright, but chain is at the replacement line, and is pretty noisy.

·
Hangin' with my gnomies
151 Posts
Depends on your budget really. If it was my bike I'd probably go with an EK 525MVXZ chain (in red) and AFAM steel sprockets. This would set you back around $300 if I remember correctly.

·
The Wizard
2,743 Posts
I would go with a 520 chain, spikes sprockets. Spikes is local, good prices. Carter and a few other places carry them. I think they come annodized or at least one of the shops sells them that way. Go one down in the front, you'll love it.

Anodized makes it last WAY longer. steel front, anodized aluminum rear.

·
Black on black crime
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The front sprocket is -1, will that make any difference in chosing my chain/rear sprocket?

Bandit, that would be excellent if I wanted to go 60 at the top of 6th!

·
Black on black crime
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn, just looking at D.I.D. chains, any idea how many links I want?

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
Iceman_19 said:
The front sprocket is -1, will that make any difference in chosing my chain/rear sprocket?

Bandit, that would be excellent if I wanted to go 60 at the top of 6th!
just think how fast you'd get to 60 though :laughing

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
most shops carry them in 100/122 links.then you cut them to whatever length ya need.if ya stick with the stock chain size see if they carry JT sprockets or something for the rear.there cheaper oem replacements.

Iceman_19 said:
Damn, just looking at D.I.D. chains, any idea how many links I want?

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
It's around $220 for a good DID or RK spikes sprocket conversion, this setup is stronger and lighter than stock. Go -1 front and minimum 3 up on the rear

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
I've seen those kits it's a Vortex sprocket and a low grade chain I'd spend the extra bit for a Hard anodized Spikes and a better chain . I have customers with over 30000km on the Spikes set up.

Cheaper the chain the more you adjust it and the quicker it wears out.

·
Black on black crime
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a DID 520VM Premium X-Ring Gold & Black 120 Link Chain about to be ordered, 132 cdn.

As for the sprocket, this is confusing. If im going to get -2 or -3 teeth on the rear, will I need to order a different length?

·
damn broken leg!!!!!!!
1,610 Posts
People as suggesting you go plus +++++++ 2 or 3 on the rear. Yes, requires more links, no you don't need to buy a different chain. Just buy the 120 link DID and cut off as needed.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Uhhhh in case you forgot: When you get an 'open' chain (as in one that uses a master link) you WILL need to Rivet the Master link.. This ain't easy Without the Special Tool, in fact it's absolutely necessary.for a link you will be trusting your life on, so you are left with having a Shop do the install, like it or not.

·
The Wizard
2,743 Posts
I just used the clip and some safety wire.

Good enough for a race bike is good enough for the street.

·
damn broken leg!!!!!!!
1,610 Posts
Focker said:
I just used the clip and some safety wire.

Good enough for a race bike is good enough for the street.
The difference is racers are (well, they should be) checking their chain regularly. Street bikes are often not serviced as frequently but put on more miles. I have found broken wire and broken clips in my inspections.

The rivet also can be done without fancy tools but you might want to have an experienced person help you if it's your first time.

·
Black on black crime
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im going to get a shop to install it. I dont have any tools at my place, or a stand. Or a jack for that matter.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts