BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after a long road trip with my gf, i've decided to get a GPS device. She printed directions thru mapquest and believes that navigating backwards will get back to point B to A. We all know sometimes it just doesn't work.
i'm looking for a GPS system, any suggestions? something to put in a car that has North america, waterproof?, can zoom into street level... no month subscriptions... any suggestions?

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Garmin all the way.

B

·
0 Posts
my 5 years old etrex not working after 1/2 hr heavy rain riding. Countless kayak trip w/ sea water no problem. I am guessing under the high speed, water forces its way inside. Make sure the mounting location safe.

·
Fast Pack Slow Guy
4,722 Posts
Although the Garmis is supposed to be water resistent, I always bring a sandwich bag (no, not paper) to slip over it, just in case I get caught in the rain. And another one for my radar detector.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've used the Garmin 2610 for the last 3 years.

It's waterproof, for the bike and can used it in the truck, too.
It has audio out, for use with my autocomm.

It's a great on road trips.
Where's the closest Starbucks, exit or gas station.

I has a touch screen, which is handy for the bike.
It also comes with a remote, that I sometimes use in the truck.

This unit will not run on batteries.

A 512mb card will load maps for Western Canada and the USA.
I've heard that a 2gb card will load up all of North America.
I dont' recommend the hard drive version. (pre loaded map)

The unit includes mapping for North America (Canada and USA), unlocked.
New mapping updates are available very year for about $75.00 us.

Also this unit features are updateable. I've updated mine about 8 times to far.

The audio guidance (out), is interesting. There is a female "British" (with the accent) or the standard female "USA" (with no accent)

Also consider the Lowrance I-way 500. (which maybe too large)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Although the Garmis is supposed to be water resistent, I always bring a sandwich bag (no, not paper)
LOL. Good to "know your audience!"

to slip over it, just in case I get caught in the rain. And another one for my radar detector.
Ditto. I don't cover my StreetPilot, but the economy version of radar detector and XM cover works fine for me.
The SP has over 130,000 miles on it, all outdoors, all uncovered, with no visible adverse affects.

·
Gear Driven Cams
4,411 Posts
My Garmin GPSMap 76cs says this: "Water resistant to IEC 60529 IPX7 standards (can be submerged in one meter of water for 30 minutes)." The GPS III I had before that said it was good to an even higher standard but I never tested it.

fjr_eh said:
The audio guidance (out), is interesting. There is a female "British" (with the accent)
Hmm... That might be too distracting. :)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fjr eh

that was somethign i was looking into, Garmin 2610
i'm looking for one that runs on AC adapter and batteries...

I'm leaning towards the SD cards cause u never know, u might want to get expansion.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
what i'm looking for is a PDA cell phone/mp3 player/camara/GPS unit...anyone have any ideas on how to make this happen? damn, i wish they would make a star trek tricorder or something!

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
warp9racing said:
what i'm looking for is a PDA cell phone/mp3 player/camara/GPS unit...anyone have any ideas on how to make this happen? damn, i wish they would make a star trek tricorder or something!
Palm Treo 650 or 700 or w.h.y.

·
rain? whats that!
5,834 Posts
warp9racing said:
If they can make one thats waterproof, drop resistant from 2m and not the size of a brick, Id pay good $$ for that.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
what i'm looking for is a PDA cell phone/mp3 player/camara/GPS unit...anyone have any ideas on how to make this happen?
Yes.
Go to any Iron Butt Association get together, whether it be a rally or RTE.
(ride to eat)
Fairly typical is CB, XM, Cell phone, GPS, and a GPS (or two) in front of the rider. Then there's the switches for heated grips, clothing, auxiliary lighting, heated seat, auxuliary fuel pumps, and yes, some riders have a lap top on their fuel tanks, to do routing on the run, or even fuel management.
Ram mounts, custom mounting, expert wiring, it's all possible.

·
X-nasty
2,287 Posts
michael said:
Yes.
Go to any Iron Butt Association get together, whether it be a rally or RTE.
(ride to eat)
Fairly typical is CB, XM, Cell phone, GPS, and a GPS (or two) in front of the rider. Then there's the switches for heated grips, clothing, auxiliary lighting, heated seat, auxuliary fuel pumps, and yes, some riders have a lap top on their fuel tanks, to do routing on the run, or even fuel management.
Ram mounts, custom mounting, expert wiring, it's all possible.
Looks like a fricken cockpit.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Looks like a fricken cockpit.
While there may be a difference between what one wants, and what one needs....I can't think of any of those riders who can tell.:laughing

I'm a lightweight. I've only got an additional switch for lights, GPS, radar detector and the XM.
Of course, with the 'lectrics, it is a total of 72 switches.......

·
Registered
357 Posts
Here's a photo from Hyderseek 2005.

·
1,768 Posts
warp9racing said:
HP iPAQ hw6515

;D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts