BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently thought about getting a GPS for my bike. I can strap it on with a RAM mount and after uploading a few Canadian and US maps, I can go anywhere with ease.

I know a few people who have them and love them, they keep track of distance travelled, average speed, top speed, etc and if you get a marine GPS, they are weather proof.

The cost is a little daunting, around $300 US, but I have a few things I could sell on eBay to raise most of that.

What do you think?

·
resident monkey boy
806 Posts
that would be a cool mod

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
GPS is a great toy, but I think it's just one more thing to get in the way. If I were going to get something mounted on the tank/fairing, I'd go with a digicam or a DV cam. They are a useful resource for when you get back and want all that data, but is it really useful for recreational rides?

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, it is probably better saved for people who do touring, but it just seems like such a cool idea, never getting lost again..

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
vrecksler said:
Yes, it is probably better saved for people who do touring, but it just seems like such a cool idea, never getting lost again..
I can see that being a consideration in Europe, in B.C.?? Inconceivable!:D

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Which brand are you looking at getting? I was looking at them @ London Drugs and they range from $150-$300CDN.. not real big screens, and there black and white, but they'd probably do the job..

Most of them have pretty tiny buttons, so operating while riding would be near impossible (and probably dangerous to start with anyways)..

It's always been an idea I've thrown around..

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hello... BCAA ? I ran out of gas and my current position is 49°15'N 123°08'W bearing 178°23', able to send someone to help me please ? Oh... street name... err.. Hwy 1.

Sorry, but GPS gave me the above thoughts. Do they have maps ? If so, the unit must be big enough to hold a DVD disc of maps.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
xenz said:
Hello... BCAA ? I ran out of gas and my current position is 49°15'N 123°08'W bearing 178°23', able to send someone to help me please ? Oh... street name... err.. Hwy 1.

Sorry, but GPS gave me the above thoughts. Do they have maps ?
:roflmao :spinsmile :hopmad You a funny guy.:laughing :laughing

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
xenz said:

Sorry, but GPS gave me the above thoughts. Do they have maps ? If so, the unit must be big enough to hold a DVD disc of maps.
I think you upload the maps to most of them... the smaller ones anyways.

·
Just Another Enthusiast
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The one I was looking at is made by Garmin, and it is a weatherproof marine model. You just load the maps from a CDROM into the unit, and you get all the streets available. They can be mounted on your triple clamp, and provide a large, colour screen for reading.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Nice unit. it will defintely help to find certain roads in town. But.... would it be one more things to worry about people stealing from your bike ?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I want the Casio GPS watch.......it's been out for a few years now....that would be way cool....screw mounting it to anything...

·
Zoom Zoom
28 Posts
GPS for motorcycles

I have a GPS unit (Garmin GPS12). It was neat when I bought it but I have found that it spends a lot of its time searching for a signal, especially in mountainous areas. It is almost useless on the Squamish-Whistler Highway because half the sky is blocked. However, I can report that it works quite well in Alberta.

The person who said that it would be hard to operate a GPS unit while riding a bike is right. The buttons are very small and the operation is not exactly user friendly. Maybe the more expensive units are better.

From what I understand, good maps are available for the U.S. I'm not sure what is available for Canadian roads.

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Well it won't tell you which way to point the bike but if you want average speed, miles travelled, max speed for the session and a couple of other things just get a good bicycle speedo.

Getting lost and learning about new roads is half the fun. Although I've had a few people ask me if I felt like a dork for leading them up a dead end for the 3 time in a day :rolleyes

·
moving pylon
1,428 Posts
BMatthews said:

Getting lost and learning about new roads is half the fun. Although I've had a few people ask me if I felt like a dork for leading them up a dead end for the 3 time in a day :rolleyes

it's good cause it gives me time to catch up to you guys:)

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Bruce is right, it would take something intangible away from the whole "on the road" experience. Getting lost is part of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts