BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure most of you already have a good set of tools with which to work on your bikes, but I didn't until this afternoon.
I just bought a MasterCraftsman 205 piece Socket Wrench set (regularly $269) for 50% off :eek at Canadian Tire ($150, tax included!!). This set is awesome, including mm and SAE sizes nd of course, a lifetime warranty. :D

(They also had a 91piece set on sale for %60 off, $59 (before tax), also with SAE and MM and lifetime warranty.:eek )

Just FYI if you were looking.
And also on the topic of tools:
Do I really need to get a Torque Wrench do do stuff with my bike?

What other tools are "must haves" if i wanna start doing my own maintenance?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
You guys should consult me about things like this before you buy. I work at Lordco Auto parts and we have almost everything and I can get you guys a discount of about 40 to 50% depending on the item. ;)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NOOOOOO!!!! OH well, i'm very happy with the deal i got. I'll definately consult you next time. And there WILL be a next time. (i may need a toque wrench and drill and .....)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Well all I can say is make sure that you know what you want before you get me to order it cause things can get complicated. Otherwise I have no problem helping my riding buddies out ;)

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I've never really liked Canadian Tire's stuff... Sears to me will always have awesome tools for the money. And you'll almost ALWAYS find tools on sale.. they never sell for full pop.

·
resident monkey boy
806 Posts
absolutdm said:
I've never really liked Canadian Tire's stuff... Sears to me will always have awesome tools for the money. And you'll almost ALWAYS find tools on sale.. they never sell for full pop.
Craftsman and Mastercraft are the same tool, both are made by Husky. If you ever break either and can't find the replacement at Sears or CT take it to Home Depot cause they will replace it (husky dealer). I know this cause I use to work at CT.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
That's odd, I have never had any problem with those tools before, guess i am just lucky.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of Husky tools.. the only wrench I've ever bent with my hands was a Husky..

I like Snap-on.. too bad they are so expensive..

Jim.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
That's when I come in handy. I can get you anything snap on for next to nothing cause I am buddy buddy with the rep that comes in ;)

·
space for sale
501 Posts
I've worked with snap ons and they are great tools. They do break tho. I've broke so many at an autobody shop I used to work for that it isn't even funny haha.

I think for tooling in the garage, husky tools do the job,and the warranty sure is a bonus.

·
[Oo=vw=oO]
761 Posts
Ryan R said:
You guys should consult me about things like this before you buy. I work at Lordco Auto parts and we have almost everything and I can get you guys a discount of about 40 to 50% depending on the item. ;)
I'm gonna remember this :D

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Going waaaaaaay back to the first couple of threads to answer Bluestone's question about torque wrenches.

Yes. Get one. Later you won't need it for general work but until you develop a feel for the correct torque range it'll come in very handy. Spark plugs are only supposed to be torque'd to about 12 to 15 ft-lbs. Do you have any idea how little that is? It's VERY easy to double that value just with a little nudge on a basic 3/8 ratchet. But if it's not tight enough then the seal washer won't do it's job. And that's just one example.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I guess i should buy a standard ft lbs torque wrench, but are they all over a foot long? Do they come any smaller?

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Bluestone said:
So I guess i should buy a standard ft lbs torque wrench, but are they all over a foot long? Do they come any smaller?
Any of them that go up to the 150 ft lb range will be long because you need the leverage. And trust me. You'll be glad you've got it.

If you get one that goes from 5 to 75 or so it'll probably be a 3/8 drive and about a foot long. The higher spec ones will all be 1/2 drive. And for the really anally retentive among us you can even get a torque screwdriver :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts