BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently returned from several years of living in Japan and have excellent contacts in the bike biz over there. I have been toying with the idea of bringing over a container of 10 Japanese pre-90 sport bikes - TZR2503MA's, RG400's FZR400's etc, keeping a few and selling the rest on. I did some research and it seems like this has been done a few times in the past in Vancouver.

I'm not trying to make a business out of it, rather just fuel my own lust for small, old, impractical bikes! Ideally I'd like to cover costs and make a bit to cover my time but the real bonus for me is I'd be able to get a few bikes delivered at container shipping prices rather than individually.

So anybody got any insight into whether the local market could bear a few grey market exotics at a reasonable price?

Cheers...

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I think it could, but just like anything else you consider an investment, don't put your money into it unless you can afford to lose it all. :)

·
Flieger sind Sieger!
2,050 Posts
Do a search on "Atlas" and "Windbell", and find out all you want to know about the crap these cretons have been inflicting on the local economy.

R

·
0 Posts
I think if you can undersell Windbell and Atlas...then do it. I seriously think that or market is lacking those smaller japanese bikes.

·
Formerly kanelupis
5,252 Posts
What do you mean "crap" Vince?

I haven't heard any recent reports of "crap" from them at all

Being a buyer from Windbell I should know too.

Yes this market is missing smaller bike, definately some of them here. fzr250!

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
I think the "crap" is mostly related to folks that buy the bikes and then find out that parts are all but non avaialable without a lot of extra effort.

I'm just talking out my cake hole but if you were to concentrate heavily on FZR400's then you should have a lot easier time of selling them I suspect. Because these were sold here the Yami dealers can still get parts for them. They also make a decent first bike that a rider doesn't NEED to outgrow since they offer a decent performance and are total fun to ride.

·
Registered
446 Posts
TeeTee said:
I think the "crap" is mostly related to folks that buy the bikes and then find out that parts are all but non avaialable without a lot of extra effort.

I'm just talking out my cake hole but if you were to concentrate heavily on FZR400's then you should have a lot easier time of selling them I suspect. Because these were sold here the Yami dealers can still get parts for them. They also make a decent first bike that a rider doesn't NEED to outgrow since they offer a decent performance and are total fun to ride.
<--- Yup, I still ride my first bike. :thumbup

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just wish I could buy a 400 without having to get a friggin import. But with our insurance rules, I'm sure there must be a market for FZR400s.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
mcaswell said:
I just wish I could buy a 400 without having to get a friggin import. But with our insurance rules, I'm sure there must be a market for FZR400s.
It's been tried. The market isn't here, because the 400's sell at the same price as the 600's, and there's no licensing restrictions encouraging the smaller bikes.

·
Registered
905 Posts
gb8561 said:
I'm not trying to make a business out of it, rather just fuel my own lust for small, old, impractical bikes! Ideally I'd like to cover costs and make a bit to cover my time but the real bonus for me is I'd be able to get a few bikes delivered at container shipping prices rather than individually.

Cheers...
so how much will you be selling them for?
if you just want to cover your cost then they should be about $500-$700 more than what you buy them for. so that would be about $2000-$2500 delivered to the new buyer with all inspections passed.
Don't tell me you want to sell for Windbell/Atlas prices which is about $4-5000each bike, you would be no better than those crooks.

·
Melodious
496 Posts
I bought a NS250R from Atlas about ten years ago. It was in great shape and ran perfectly the whole time I had it (2 years). I picked up brake pads, speedo cable from RMS and a battery from crappy tire.
I think I paid $2500 .. a few years later the same bikes were $4000.
I'd buy another right away if the price was right.

·
retired panda racer...~_~
740 Posts
is it really worth the hassle of importing a container full?
windbell already does it but i really don't think there's much of a market for it.
I certainly like those 400cc jp market bikes... but i really don't see a large enough market for it here... (for the reasons Dave has already mentioned)
(maybe a reason why atlas is no longer atlas and no longer imports?)

again, is it really worth all that hassle?

·
finally got a bike
44 Posts
i just bought my cbr250r for 2500 sure they had a lot of 4000 dollar bikes at windbell but they had a few cheaper ones too. there was a fzr 250r for 2995 and another cbr250r for 2500

·
WMRC Past Prez three time
2,580 Posts
oldsquid said:
i'd buy an RG400 just because i loved my RG500 so much. sigh..........

Hey squid!! From what I hear the two bikes are way different animals.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts