BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, just wondering how tough it's going to be learning to ride on a new gsx-r 600. got my license and the bike already (haven't ridden the bike yet, just arrived and it's in storage), but have barely ridden since getting the good 'ol license in nov. this year. any advice/suggestions??? thanks in advance :) :) :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
I am starting on a GSX-R 600. Not the smartest choice, since any mistake will be an expensive one. But it's a great bike. Easy to ride and rides great. Just have to respect the power.

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
Well, after you've already bought the thing, it's kinda pointless to be asking if it's a good bike to start on. :p The deed is done.

I'll make the same suggestion I always do to new riders...it may be worth your while to go get a cheapo shitty bike to make your mistakes on. Especially at this time of year...go buy an old CB400, or GS450 or something like that for a few hundred bucks. Ride it, drop it, pick it up, and sell it in May for than what you'd pay for it now. Insure the new gixxer when the weather gets nice, and you'll have already had some experience under your belt before jumping up to the big bike. Or just buy a dual-purpose like an XT225 or KLR250 and keep it for playing in the dirt.

Just my $0.02. Welcome to the sport!
And welcome to BCSB. :flip <~~~standard greeting

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the advice guys; i'll have to remember to "take it easy" as you all say. i'll definitely consider everything said on this thread and hopefully in the spring i'll get to meet you guys for a ride or something, that is if you don't mind newbies tagging along :) :) :)

·
Je ne suis pas Francais
3,398 Posts
I started on a 600 , it was a used one though , I just hope that you have mucho dollars cuz you have 95% chances of dropping it. I don't think your choice was the best one IMHO , good luck man :thumbup

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
Have fun on it and take it easy. I'd suggest going out to a large local parking lot when you get the chance and get used to the clutch, brakes, ect. Since you haven't been on a bike in some time, re-familiarize yourself with turning at different speeds. An hour or so and you should be coinfident enough to hit the road again.

Have fun and play safe....

And..... BUY FRAME SLIDERS NOW!!!

:flip WELCOME:flip ....to the site.

·
Rageaholic
8,367 Posts
congrats on the bike, and welcome n all that. I started on a gixxer 750 (old school) and it got dropped a few times.. You *will* drop your bike its just a matter of time, that said make sure you got all yer gear and are taking it real easy.

May *seem* like a small powerless biek when you talk to some people, but respect it. The thing can loop you before you know what happened if you are screwin around not knowing what yer doing. Ask mite :)

Frame sliders are a must, i just got mine today, hopefully you wont ever need them heh. When i first started on my gixxer i went to the church down the street and did figure 8's, low speed turn with the bars cranked to the stops, and weaving in n out of stalls at various speeds. For like 6-7 1-2 hours a day.Until i felt comfortable enough with the bike that i wasnt scared of being in traffic on the street (because every car truck van suv semi whatever, they are all trying to kill you) be careful :)

·
Wanderer of the Wastes
6,806 Posts
It took me about 3 days to get comfortable enough to crash.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I learned to ride on my R6 which is comparable to the gixxer, so it can be done, but not without having respect for the machine. I made the mistake of getting over confident in my abilities once or twice and I was lucky that I was able to escape a nasty crash. Take it one step and a time and you should be fine. Don't listen to the guys that tell you that you're crazy for learning on a bike like that, cuz usually they are just jealous.

·
Registered
344 Posts
IMHO that is way too much bike to be starting out on, however since you have already made that decision, just take it easy and enjoy.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I also have a gsxr600 as my first bike. Lot's of power for a newbie, just need to be careful and practice. Never !!! try to go after your group, just ride on your own pace and enjoy...

·
Resident Banana
2,694 Posts
VanCityR6 said:
Don't listen to the guys that tell you that you're crazy for learning on a bike like that, cuz usually they are just jealous.
Personally, I don't think that being jealous plays any part in it. Its all about safety. Usually, your safer on a smaller bike with less power to get you into trouble. Also, an older used bike cost less to fix if you drop it. Ride something that your comfortable with and that you don't mind dropping for a year and move up to something bigger and better. This isn't an option for ya though since you've already bought the Gixxer 6. So just take it easy.

Ride what you want...do whatever floats your boat. Just remember, if you put the bike down on the pavement at speed even as low as 30kph, you could write the sucker off.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts