BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into a gixxer 750, but as you know, thats 'alot of bike'. Other than 150cc difference in engine size, is the bike basically the same? Obviously the 600's are going to be cheaper, and would still be a great bike. I'm just concerned about it being too small. I am 6'2", 210 lbs. The R6 was too small, the 600RR was ok, but wasn't all that comfortable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Nutrition guy
1,315 Posts
Stewy said:
I have been looking into a gixxer 750, but as you know, thats 'alot of bike'. Other than 150cc difference in engine size, is the bike basically the same? Obviously the 600's are going to be cheaper, and would still be a great bike. I'm just concerned about it being too small. I am 6'2", 210 lbs. The R6 was too small, the 600RR was ok, but wasn't all that comfortable. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The GSXR you are looking for (02/03) has major differences between the 600 and 750, as the 750 is based on the GSXR1000 design. After this year, Suzuki based the 750 after the 600 and both share the same frame.

My advice would be to not get a 600. For your height and weight you will not be happy for long as the 600. Smaller bikes are fun but lack that low end punch due to the small engine displacement. Hell, I migrated from a 1000 to a 750 and even that makes the 750 feel slow. :laughing

Honestly, if you are looking for a bike that is fair trade between handling and sheer power then the 750 is for you.

·
Got Hammer?
5,552 Posts
The 750 is a fine bike. It has a lot of the good traits of the 600's but has more motor everywhere, especially in the midrange where the 600's are usually so boring. GSXR's feel like bigger bikes to start with, especially the older gen bikes. I'd go for one in a heartbeat, especially side to side with the 600.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys. This will be my first bike, now I know I'll probably get flamed for it, but this is the bike I want. With my height and weight, I dont want to dwarf the bike, I have a very responsible mindset and I know that I will be able to control the urge to crank the right hand down. I've been driving for over 10 years and gettig onto a bike is something I've always wanted to do. Given extra caution and time on the bike, is this still a good choice for me? I guess I'll have a better idea after doing the PRS course. I've ridden dirt bikes quite a bit, but this will be my first road bike.

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gixxstar said:
It's all attitude. Mistakes will get you much faster with the 750 but I don't consider it a dangerous bike unless you do something really stupid.
That's exactly what is on my mind as well. Originally I was thinking of the 600RR, but I've read some bad reviews in terms of the seat and the handle bar position being hard on the wrists.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
considering the 10 years driving experience, that you're going to be taking the PRS course,
and the apparent impulse control, you MAY be okay.

just make sure you're not deluding yourself and what you have said will actually be the case.
take it easy and keep the rpm's down while you get used to it.

edit: don't buy a bike until after the course, and then get on it and ride it before making up your mind

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
slam said:
considering the 10 years driving experience, that you're going don't buy a bike until after the course, and then get on it and ride it before making up your mind
Good tip. I have a few nice ones that I've found, but you're right I will take the course first.

Also, on a side note...I'm planning on having it inspected before I buy, would you guys recommend this? One of the bikes I've found has been dropped, from about 20 km/hr, everything fixed 'properly', has 24,000 kms on it, never seen rain. I know the basic things to look for, but I'd like the piece of mind of having it inspected. Or, if one of you more experienced guys wouldnt mind helping a n00bie out, come take a look with me.

·
contradiction incarnate
2,748 Posts
Stewy said:
...I'm planning on having it inspected before I buy, would you guys recommend this?...
get your favourite shop to inspect before buying.
the peace of mind is a very good thing.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Stewy said:
That's exactly what is on my mind as well. Originally I was thinking of the 600RR, but I've read some bad reviews in terms of the seat and the handle bar position being hard on the wrists.

Screw the reviews you've read. Every bike fits every rider differently PERIOD. I had a GSXR and it was like being tortured when riding it. Try all the bikes and make an educated decision, not one based on some dude who may be a foot shorter than you.

Also, I'll prolly take heat for this but it is my opinion that your weight and height are fairly irrelevant considering that you are looking at supersports. Have you thought of something like an SV650 or ? Just think that maybe you will appreciate more tourque and predictable hp when learning.

Whatever you decide, make sure its your decision. Good luck and ride safe!:rockon

S

·
0 Posts
you seem to think that learning to ride on a gsxr750 is a good thing? best advice to you is to buy an old f1/f2/f3 and learn on that for 3-6 months and then get the bike of your dreams. those bikes don't depreciate much at all and it will most likely cost nothing in the end to buy one and then sell it half a year later. you will most likely drop your first bike just like most other people so before you go and buy a mint gsxr 750 you might wanna get out all the new rider mistakes on a less beautiful bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
gonna have to second that, you say that this is THE bike you want, you're gonna feel pretty freakin crappy droppin it the first time try to park on gravel (happened to me). With regards to size differences between gixxer 600 and 700, they have the exact same seat hight and wheelbase, and the 750 weighs all of five pounds more (for 06 models). So if you're gonna get the gixxer
"size" doesn't really matter. Either way you'll have gobs of fun, but again, I'd get a "beater" first, even if only for a couple months, my$0.02, OUT
http://moto.suzuki.ca/Products/Specs-Options.aspx?modelCategoryID=ModelCategory_MotoSport&modelID=Model_GSXR600&province=BC&culture=en-CA
http://moto.suzuki.ca/Products/Specs-Options.aspx?modelCategoryID=ModelCategory_MotoSport&modelID=Model_GSXR600&province=BC&culture=en-CA

http://moto.suzuki.ca/Products/Specs-Options.aspx?modelCategoryID=ModelCategory_MotoSport&modelID=Model_GSXR750&province=BC&culture=en-CA

ssblade said:
you seem to think that learning to ride on a gsxr750 is a good thing? best advice to you is to buy an old f1/f2/f3 and learn on that for 3-6 months and then get the bike of your dreams. those bikes don't depreciate much at all and it will most likely cost nothing in the end to buy one and then sell it half a year later. you will most likely drop your first bike just like most other people so before you go and buy a mint gsxr 750 you might wanna get out all the new rider mistakes on a less beautiful bike.

O

·
0 Posts
Same Page

Im exactly in the same situation as you. However I will be picking my GSX-R 750 up this weekend!! I'll be more then happy to share any of the research I have found with ya and look forward to doing the PRS course with you on the 30th!!! See ya then, definatly have to go riding with ya sometime. Sounds like our mindset's of being responsible or so we think is along the same lines.

Take Care buddy Happy hunting!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Get the 750. I started on a 600 and after a few months I was wanting more power.

Also if you do get the 750 depending on the model year I'd suggest doing some research into the TRE mod. It makes quite a noticable difference in smoothing out the powerband in the low gears and increases HP by a couple ponies.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Wow this is the first thread I have ever read where people are telling someone who hasnt even taken his riding course yet, to go out and buy a GSXR 750, and at the same time saying a GSXR 600 is a "small" bike with a small engine.

·
I do all my own stunts
3,295 Posts
wtf has everyone been smoking?? 750 for a first bike?? learning to ride on 125hp at the wheel?? leanr to ride on a my learning friendly bike, then get the bike you want. Not worth dying for. and tre mod for a new rider?? you idiots

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I have to agree with most of the guys here, buy somethnig cheaper like a 600 or an older 750 and drive that for a while, then while your getting all the mistakes out of the way you can wait for the deal of the day on a newer 750 Might even save your life.

Good luck and drive safe

1 - 20 of 55 Posts