BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Go CANUCKS GO!
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st of all thanks for this site "bcsportbikers":rockon
I'm new to sportbikes, the last bikes I owned were old Kawi KZ's 550's an 1980 and a 1981. I also had a 1984 Maxim 400, was cheep and missed riding.
So I am looking to get another used bike, but stepping it up a notch and I would like to hear some opinions from "you-all"...
bikes from 1998 - 2003
GSXR 600 or 750...
CBR 600
Yamaha R6

I like the styles, they all look great, so tough choice for me lol
so my stats...5'6" 180lbs and I've had my class6 for about 14 years.
I'm trying to stay at or under 750cc to keep the insurance costs lower.
I like to ride in town, but not downtown, and mostly will use this for baseball next year I play games all over the lower-mainland from Chilliwack to Delta, and oh ya the highway cruzes for few hours at a time...:) Thanks for your time...Sk8

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
If you want highway comfort as well as sports performance etc, the CBR600 F4i just freakin rules. Hasn't been updated in a few years, and 2006 is the last year for them, but it's a seriously good bike, and great for someone just starting back again. Really quick, really stable and forgiving. I use my 2006 to commute everyday and it's been solid as a rock.

·
Been there, Wrecked that!
2,221 Posts
1. Welcome to BCSB :flip
2. SV650s :rockon

·
Registered
107 Posts
I started on a 99 gsx-r 750. im 19,5'8 and 135?pounds(soo not a big guy at all). with dirtbike experience growing up. The 96-99 750, 97-00 600 gsxr's I feel most comfortable with of anything i've ridden. ridden abit on 2001 gsx-r1000....:devillook, 2004 cbr600rr, 2001 gsx-r600, 1999 gsx-r750, 97 gsx-r600.
Most of that is riding on slippery,wet, roads in moutainous areas. Or highway straight stretches.
Haven't ridden a f4i or r6, but hope to one day.
Go sit on abunch and stare at them for hours, start them up...if you haven't already. gdluck

·
Federal Protection
358 Posts
GSX-R750 of course, wut you thinking about?
I have to agree...get the 750.... 00-03 preffered... you won't be dissapointed unless your trying to outgun litre bikes in the long straights.... and they are fairly comfy for a sportbike.

And of course.... it's a gixxer..so you'll be welcomed in the bad boy club right away.

If you want to take it to Starbucks after the baseball game though... get the R6.....:laughing

·
Not wearing pants.
3,387 Posts
Ha.

But if you want the R6, 2003 is the first year of FI. Great bike, I have tons of fun on mine. Kind of high-strung, but fits me (5'10, 155) like a glove. Cruising can be difficult; it just wants you to keep twisting the wrist, but if you have good self control, you can hold it at around 110-120 on the highway really comfortably. If comfort really is an issue, I hear the F4i is good, if you like riding an overstuffed armchair.

·
Premium Member
11,196 Posts
Try sitting on them for a while. Have the shops put them on a rear stand so you can sit on the bike properly. Stay in that one position for 10 to 15 minutes. After you've done all of them you should have a pretty good idea of which one you want to ride.

Performance wise other than the Gixxer 750 they are all close enough to the same to not matter.

·
Newbie Again
151 Posts
Honda. I got a 600RR after not having a bike for a long time and am loving it. Can't go wrong with the F4i either.

Ask Martina what she thinks of the GSXR right now.....

·
Mmm...beer
2,144 Posts
K3 GSXR750...my personal bias. Excellent bike, I find it quote comfortable. For some, the riding position is a little agressive, but I like it. Get out there and ride anything and everything...get a feel for whats out there.

·
Go CANUCKS GO!
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so cool! thanks for the insight!

use the yammy for starbucks:coffee LOL too funny.
I am leaning toward the gixxer 600 or 750...
I don't need to be faster than anybody, and my cousin just got a 92 Fatboy so if I do go riding with someone it will be him.
He is trying to convince me to get a hog, but I don't like 'em.
I want the smooth ride that's not super loud, and these bikes sound cool and look cool.
I'm keeping me eye out on the for sale postings here and other sites, so hopefully "you's-guy's" don't mind if I post other questions about milage and cost for some used bikes as I see them...:rider sk8
oh ya one of my other cousin's racing 250cc for KTM Canada (Klade Glasgow #83) at the ISDE in NewZeland soo cool, he has been to a few of these ISDE races already. http://www.isde06.com/home.asp

·
Swivel on it
11,659 Posts
the F4i is great except its down on power and the foot pegs are too low.
Not really. It's only got about 3hp less than a RR. It'll accelerate quicker initially as well. And it's nothing a sprocket or two won't fix :coffee

·
Registered
59 Posts
if your just gonna be ridin on the street pick the 1 that feels the most comfortable as their performance is so close you wont notice the difference anyway,if you think you might be intrested in doing track days go for a gsxr or r6

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would suggest to get one of those bike from the early 2000s rather than 2003s because it will have more recent technology like 03s, will be lighter, cheap, and cheap to maintain. I was in the market for a gixxer earlier and heard the opinion to go with fuel injected aka stay away from late 90s specially from the gixxer.

R6s are abundant so finding parts will be easy. Price range around 6500 should get you a good bike from the early 2000s. I know you haven't mentioned price, but most of the time it is a big factor. I also dropped this figure for you to make sure you don't run into naive seller that think their bike is worth 8Gs.

I am no expert (so guyz on the board correct me if i am wrong), but the 2000 - 2003 gixxer600 have higher top end speed than the more recent 04+ gixxers that are built for acceleration. I would also suggest 600 over 750 because having a larger bike in rush hour traffic around town will feel like moving at ant's pace. Power delivery on the 750s is pretty linear so that isn't a problem, but most of the time on other 750s low end power stinks making it even more miserable in traffic. On the other hand on the highway both 600 and 750 will go fast unless you want to beat a speed record.

CBRs are a great bike don't get me wrong, but you have to either take comfort or riding style. I find comfort on honda's comparable to couches because i used to have an F2 before, but the handle bar for 00-03s is small so it feels like riding a toy in my opinion. I would rather spread my arms shoulder length away to enjoy pinning the bike into corners.

Finally height...I am 5' 6.5" so pretty much your height and find most of the bike will be ok, but some people love both their foot completely touching the ground. If that is your case, you might want to invest into dropping it an inch. Otherwise, shaving the seat is a cheap alternative and does effect performance.

To all english majors forgive me for bouncing all over the map while writting the post, but it is a forum after all so its all good. If you want to challenge yourself I have an english paper to proof read that is due in 3 days that is still incomplete :D

G

·
I have a 03 Gixxer 750 and love it. The power and handling are excellent. I've ridden just about anything you can think of over the last 30 years and I really think the 750 is a great overall bike. get one...you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Try sitting on them for a while.
Bingo.

Having someone tell you what kind of motorcycle to buy, is like having someone else choose your underwear.
You may be uncomfortable.
Physically trying them on for size is the best.

Anything you're looking at, that's been maintained with some sort of diligence, will more than likely be stone reliable for you too.
There are many, many reliable, high mileage motorcycles out there.

·
Go CANUCKS GO!
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Micheal

Anything you're looking at, that's been maintained with some sort of diligence, will more than likely be stone reliable for you too.
There are many, many reliable, high mileage motorcycles out there.
I was wondering about that...I did see a 02 gixxer 750 lil' over 31k kms and he was asking $6,000, I think that's a bit high, but the bike looks and sounds good.
Do "you's guy's" think that's a fair price, or would $5,000 be more like it, considering milage...?
-again thanks for writing to this forum, this site Rules!!:rockon

1 - 20 of 34 Posts