BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding with Hu99 and he tought me how to shift without the clutch. Man that is a little tricky at first but once you get the idea your bike becomes a great deal faster :eek All I need now is some practice :rider

G

·
0 Posts
you should flip your shift pattern, makes it even easier to shift w/o the clutch. Just let off the throttle a tiny bit and smack your foot down onto the shifter.:rider

B

·
0 Posts
isn't it kinda hard on the bike to shift without the clutch?
i understand the benefits, but was wondering if there are any negative effects of doing this??

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wondered the same thing and asked Hu99 about it and he said that the tranny should have around 5000 kms on it before you start doing this. Its actually super easy once you get the steps down. He said it is actually easier on the tranny when you do it right and it does not wear your clutch out as fast either. ;)

·
Devil's Advocate
1,765 Posts
gsxr6racer said:
you should flip your shift pattern, makes it even easier to shift w/o the clutch. Just let off the throttle a tiny bit and smack your foot down onto the shifter.:rider
All I can say is I'd put some heavy emphasis on the 'let off the throttle' part. Oi, that would be like popping the clutch every shift no?

B

·
0 Posts
i heard that shifting without the clutch kills your sprockets and stuff! Who was that Ducati rider last year? I remember reading an article about how he learned to race without the clutch and that's what messed up his Duc in a couple of races, so badly that he couldn't finish this one race 'cause it wouldn't shift anymore!

·
Premium Member
11,195 Posts
Properley done clutchless shifts are as smooth or smoother than a clutch shift.

First off you don't "MASH" the shifter. You apply gentle pressure while on the throttle just before you want to shift. At the right time you roll off the throttle so there is no torque being transfered through the tranny. At that point the pressure you are holding on the shift lever is enough to shift the gears because there is no loading on the part and they just snick into the next gear.

But to be nice to your bike I wouldn't suggest you try this until you find yourself doing 29 out of 30 clutch shifts where you don't feel any appreciable resistance in the shift lever (it should feel like it just moved itself) and you manage to shift with no lurching. Once you can do regular shifts this smooth then you won't have any trouble doing clutchless shifts.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now when I get my clutchless shifts perfect I will combine that with my first gear wheelie and voila I will be able to go for a long time.:rider

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wheelies are crazy man, thats how I almost wadded up Humans bike doing a 2 gear wheelie. It went up real high and I almost looped it. I say you buy a 125cc or 250cc motocross bike, so you and me can practise wheelies on it. I have seen a few in the buysell for $2000 and those are made for crashin. I dont even bother doing wheelies on my Blade cause power wheelies suck, and to ride out a wheelie you need to be in the balance point which I am too chicken to do:D

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am already planning on buying my friends 99 KX-250 for 2000. It is in really good shape and I plan on gettin into motorcross for a bit of fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts