BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I'm looking at getting an 06 Kawi zx6r. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the local Kawi dealers here in Vancouver with the purchase price. Are they pretty tight or is there room to move.

Any input would be great.

·
X-nasty
2,287 Posts
If you want the best price, go to www.blackfootonline.com, look up the bike you want, call them for a quote including the freight/pdi, and print out the ad.

Go to local Kawi dealer, ask them for best price including freight/pdi, then ask them to match the Blackfoot price.

If they won't, then ask them to match the price plus the cost of what it woudl take you to get the bike home from Calgary (plane ticket, meals, fuel).

If you fly and ride, it will be less than $200. If you rent a truck and go get it, look at adding $500 to the price.

This way you still support the local dealers and get a good price.

oh, and BTW, 06 zx6r is selling for $9999 plus freight/pdi. You will have to pay both taxes no matter where you buy the bike, so don't even figure that into the equation when haggling.
http://www.blackfootonline.com/promo_kawi_sportbikes.htm

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
Just print this off and hand it to the guys at Burnaby or Troy at MapleRidge. It will save you and them alot of time.

" I know your busy and I'm a real cheap ass bike shop slut. I'm not loyal and will probably service the bike myself buying oil at CTC and ordering everything else off Ebay " The good guys at 5thgear can import me a 2005 bike from the states for $9990 plus tax". Now let's be best buddies for the next 30 minutes and sell me a damn bike you sleazy sales guy who sleeps like a snake clutching the contract that signed your soul over to Satan.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
I'm so printing that note right now. Troy would love it. :D

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
Troy will really like that and tell him to get his fat ass back onto a dirtbike sometime and come on out. He can hire someone to count his money

·
No bike for now...
890 Posts
Burnaby Kawi and Richmond Motorsports are both local dealers where you can haggle a decent price. (For servicing afterward, take it to Burnaby.)

This shitty weather should help, as it doesn't look like the riding season will begin early this year. But buy it soon to get a 'winter discount'.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
5thgear said:
He can hire someone to count his money
Isn't that what the wife is for? :D Troy lives just around the corner from me. Then again, almost everywhere in Mission can be considered "right around the corner." :D

·
X-nasty
2,287 Posts
racerboy88 said:
don't forget that for an alberta bike, PST is added when bike is registered here

That is what I said above, so don't even take the taxes into account when dealing. Work pre-tax for all your figures and figure out teh taxes in your head or bring your own calculator into the office with you.

Be prepared and you will get the deal that you want.

As for after service sales, I have used Burnaby Kawasaki before and those guys are top notch.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bora20 said:
If you want the best price, go to www.blackfootonline.com, look up the bike you want, call them for a quote including the freight/pdi, and print out the ad.

Go to local Kawi dealer, ask them for best price including freight/pdi, then ask them to match the Blackfoot price.

If they won't, then ask them to match the price plus the cost of what it woudl take you to get the bike home from Calgary (plane ticket, meals, fuel).

If you fly and ride, it will be less than $200. If you rent a truck and go get it, look at adding $500 to the price.

This way you still support the local dealers and get a good price.

oh, and BTW, 06 zx6r is selling for $9999 plus freight/pdi. You will have to pay both taxes no matter where you buy the bike, so don't even figure that into the equation when haggling.
http://www.blackfootonline.com/promo_kawi_sportbikes.htm
just curious as to who here has done this, successfully, as it sounds like a good idea. only thing is the bike im interested in is like 2800 off of list price and i doubt any local dealer would match that. a little off topic, but if i do end up getting the bike in calgary, how do i drive it back without insurance?!?! how would that work? or should i say how would i go about getting insurance to get the bike back here.
Thanks,

·
X-nasty
2,287 Posts
allshownogo said:
just curious as to who here has done this, successfully, as it sounds like a good idea. only thing is the bike im interested in is like 2800 off of list price and i doubt any local dealer would match that. a little off topic, but if i do end up getting the bike in calgary, how do i drive it back without insurance?!?! how would that work? or should i say how would i go about getting insurance to get the bike back here.
Thanks,

I did Step 4 and would be willing to ride to Calgary with anyone if they plan to do this. My parents live there, so it would work for me as a visit. I could also ride out if you fly and ride home with you, at least to Kamloops. This would help as I could give you a ride to the registrars office as the closest one is about 10 blocks from Blackfoot.

I only know for sure how this works in Step 4. The other options should be correct, but verify with an ICBC agent beforehand. You may have to speak to several of them to get the correct answer, or atleast until you get an answer you like. Some agents told me that I didn't need any insurance, which would have been very bad if something would have happened.

1) Buy new bike with no trade
Once you purchase the bike and the ownership papers are in your hand, you must go to an Alberta Registrar and get a travel permit. This permit will allow you to travel from point A to point B, and it will be listed on the permit. You are supposed to tape this to the bike, but I kept it dry in my pocket. This permit is about $22.

Once you have the permit, call BCAA and ask to purchase a "rider". This will cover 3rd party, collision, and comprehensive for a specified period, which will only be a few days. You must purchase 3rd party to get the other 2 optional coverages. The total cost is about $40.

Once at your destination in BC, or as soon as you get into BC, go to your local BCAA and register the bike in BC. They will have to go out to the bike and verify the VIN. That is the out of province inspection.

Once registered in BC, you can purchase your insurance through ICBC. If you have private optional insurance, you cannot purchase it or transfer it until the bike is registered in BC.

2) Buy new bike with a trade
Your insurance from your old bike is valid for up to 10 days on another BRAND NEW VEHICLE ONLY, as long as the old one is no longer owned by you.

Once at your destination in BC, or as soon as you get into BC, within 10 days, go to your local BCAA and register the bike in BC. They will have to go out to the bike and verify the VIN. That is the out of province inspection.

Once registered in BC, you can purchase your insurance through ICBC. If you have private optional insurance, you cannot purchase it or transfer it until the bike is registered in BC.

3) Buy used bike with no trade
Once you purchase the bike and the ownership papers are in your hand, you must go to an Alberta Registrar and get a travel permit. This permit will allow you to travel from point A to point B, and it will be listed on the permit. You are supposed to tape this to the bike, but I kept it dry in my pocket. This permit is about $22.

Once you have the permit, call BCAA and ask to purchase a "rider". This will cover 3rd party, collision, and comprehensive for a specified period, which will only be a few days. You must purchase 3rd party to get the other 2 optional coverages. The total cost is about $40.

Once at your destination in BC, or as soon as you get into BC, go to your local BCAA and register the bike in BC. They will have to go out to the bike and verify the VIN. That is the out of province inspection.

Make sure that the ownership transfer papers have the previous owners name on them or you will have to get the dealership to fax BCAA with a record of the previous owner selling the bike to Blackfoot. ICBC will not accept a used vehicle being sold directly to you. The need to know the previous owner for some reason.

4) Buy used bike with a trade

Make sure that the ownership transfer papers have the previous owners name on them or you will have to get the dealership to fax BCAA with a record of the previous owner selling the bike to Blackfoot. ICBC will not accept a used vehicle being sold directly to you. The need to know the previous owner for some reason.

5) Drive out in truck and drive it home in back
A bit more costly in fuel, but may be easier. However, I would consider getting additional insurance coverage for the contents of the bed, as I don't think ICBC will cover the full value of you motorcycle in the bed without it being insured itself.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Forget Blackfoot. I've phoned them when I've shopped for the last two bikes.They quoted me list price and $500 shipping in Feb. on the last bike.

Lower mainland dealers easily outdid them on the first bike.

And what do you do if it comes with a broken fairing or other damage? Send it back? It's not worth the hassle.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
they are advertising the bike i want for $2800 below list price. its advertised in full colour on their web page. thats y it would be worth while for me to go there. btw the bike is new so im guessing step one would be what am looking at. if i do go through with it i would fly there and ride back. thanks for the info really 'preciate it. i'll let u guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I called Blackfoot yesterday and spoke to a sales rep. He quoted me MRSP OTD. I then mentioned that I would like it shipped to Vancouver. He said he could do it for another $200-300, probably around $260. I then went to RMS and for the same bike, it would be $500-1000 more.

I do have one question though... if I bought from Blackfoot, would I have to pay PST on it when I insure it? If so, then I would rather just buy here to help the local dealers and for less hassle since the amount I pay would end up being the same.

·
X-nasty
2,287 Posts
jooq said:
I called Blackfoot yesterday and spoke to a sales rep. He quoted me MRSP OTD. I then mentioned that I would like it shipped to Vancouver. He said he could do it for another $200-300, probably around $260. I then went to RMS and for the same bike, it would be $500-1000 more.

I do have one question though... if I bought from Blackfoot, would I have to pay PST on it when I insure it? If so, then I would rather just buy here to help the local dealers and for less hassle since the amount I pay would end up being the same.
When you purchase a vehicle out of province, you will have to pay the GST. Once you register the bike in BC, you will have to pay the PST.

So compare before tax prices, because a $1000 cheaper bike means that you will be paying 7% PST on a total that is $1000 less, so less tax.

It won't always work out, so I suggest taking Blackfoot's price into RMS and tell them that you will give them the Blackfoot price plus the money it will cost to have it shipped to Vancouver.

If they don't take that, then get the bike shipped.

ps: If you buy a quad, snowmobile, or dirt bike, buy it in Alberta and save yourself 7%. You don't have to pay PST on them as they are registerable by ICBC.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts