BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Lady
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Ladies! So I have fine, long, curly hair that reaches to my bra-strap in the back. On my first couple rides I put it in a pony or a flip-bun and it was a giant dreadlock when I got home, I had to pick at it slowly to avoid breaking too much hair. :(
I cannot braid it behind my head on my own, I'm just not that coordinated.
A twisted bun, even a low one, doesn't work with my helmet.
I have been pulling it to one side and braiding it over my shoulder, which seems to work, but my ends get so dry... plus, a side-braid makes it weird if I want to take my hair out and let it down after, it's all asymmetrically kinked. I would love to take my bike somewhere and arrive with hair that doesn't look like it's been smashed under a helmet for hours.
Is there anything nice you can do with your hair to have it a) not get knotted to shit and b) have it look somewhat nice when you take your helmet off?
And lastly, has anyone tried these? http://twowheelcool.com/airhead/

Cheers!

·
Registered
451 Posts
two braids to the side. use the nice elastics that don't have the metal fasteners in them. always look like a schoolkid.

the airhead thing doesn't solve the problem of the hair that comes out of the helmet. seems pointless to me.

one thing you could try is a swimcap-style head cooler - like alpinestars offers or this cheaper one. pin all the hair in the cap. effectiveness depends on thickness/length/qty of hair you have. i've never tried this personally.

·
can't decide
1,149 Posts
put helmet on, THEN put into a pony tail with whatever is poking out (or plait it). seen a few chicks do this - seems to work.

my hair is a fair bit shorter than yours but it is growing.

·
Registered
8,725 Posts
Moderators Note:

Ladies, please use the report button when a man posts in the womens forum
It is strictly forbidden for men to post in womens forum

Thank you

Claude

·
Lady
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The beanie thing made me totally LOL. They did a scarf at the school I went to, but i never tried it. One of my instructors lent me this thin balaclava-type thing he bought at a snowboard store for my road test (it was cold that day) and it was nice for feeing quite snug.
There's a woman in my parkade who rides to work most days it's dry, and she puts a bun on the very top of her head before putting her helmet on. I don't have very thick hair at all, but I can't see that being comfortable!
I'll try braiding after I put my helmet on. I like the idea of the two braids too, hello, schoolgirl! LOL.
I also bought an airhead to see if it prevents the top hair from getting smashed down. :) I'll keep you posted.

·
can't decide
1,149 Posts
speaking of me growing my hair out, today is the first time i've been able to put all of my hair into pig tails! well, since last time it was longer anyways. been growing it out for a while now... i'd like it a lot longer this time. down to my elbows or something.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I forced myself to watch self-french braiding hair tutorials on youtube. Mine aren't the prettiest french braids (probably extremely messy) but hey, it's better than the hideous, flat helmet hair. It took a while until I could braid enough to secure it with the hair band...

Some riders have suggested carrying those leave-in/spray-on conditioners and shampoos or something along those lines. I haven't tried but it might help though a little cumbersome :(

·
570 Posts
Thank you so much for starting this thread! My bf's 2up bike is back on the road & ready to go so I was thinking of the same thing this morning.

I have very fine straight hair which goes just past my shoulders. I'm thinking of doing the braids on either side, as I don't want to take my helmet off & look like an idiot!

·
I'm a she-male.
1,410 Posts
Thank you so much for starting this thread! My bf's 2up bike is back on the road & ready to go so I was thinking of the same thing this morning.

I have very fine straight hair which goes just past my shoulders. I'm thinking of doing the braids on either side, as I don't want to take my helmet off & look like an idiot!
2 braids using hair friendly elastics as others have said, AND...

I like to bring a mini bottle of lotion with me in my jacket pocket... wind makes skin dry, but it ALSO works if you just put a little lotion on the ends of the braids. (=

Usually I just throw in some cheap like hotel body lotion in my pocket ... works great! (=

·
Lady
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Fine hair is the WORST. The knots are so tiny and tight. Ugh.

2 braids using hair friendly elastics as others have said, AND...

I like to bring a mini bottle of lotion with me in my jacket pocket... wind makes skin dry, but it ALSO works if you just put a little lotion on the ends of the braids. (=

Usually I just throw in some cheap like hotel body lotion in my pocket ... works great! (=
This is a good idea. I have some of that rich, oily Ojon crap I never use, I'll run that through the ends after braiding to keep them from drying out. I'll put lotion in my tank bag, too.
Yay for the ladies' forum! :D

·
Lady
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
speaking of me growing my hair out, today is the first time i've been able to put all of my hair into pig tails! well, since last time it was longer anyways. been growing it out for a while now... i'd like it a lot longer this time. down to my elbows or something.
You're at that in-between stage. Hang in there. ;)

·
Lady
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i always end up growing it and then saying "ah f*ck it* and chopping it all off again. i like short hair
I had a pixie cut my whole life. I actually shaved my head more than once. Until I hit 30, then I finally decided that I wanted to see what long hair was like, so I've been growing it for almost 7 years. It makes me feel like a lady, most of the time. Other times it's a pain in the ass. ;)

·
570 Posts
I've always had long hair & cut it to a "bob" just below my ears when I was 20 & hated it after about a month.

Even though it's fine, I love long hair. I love being able to put it up & change my look depending on what I'm doing.

I think long hair is sexy...now if I could just get it a bit thicker LOL!

I've tried many different products, but no luck. Oh well...first world problems ;)

·
Veni, vidi, velcro....
71 Posts
Honestly, these are wonderful and I can't recommend them enough. I have relatively fine hair, just past my shoulders, and I am a former hairdresser (many moons ago). These solved all my hair problems. I never have knots and my hair comes out of the helmet looking just fine.

http://www.2uptouring.com/Womens-Do-Rags.aspx

1 - 20 of 23 Posts