BC Sport Bikes Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
license to chill
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Handlebars question - now with pic

Hi
New to sport bikes and have a mod question: Stock clip-ons always have a tiny vertical bolt on the side, that goes into the triple-clamp (to prevent rotation or as backup if the bar's main clamp suddenly/dangerously gets a bit loose I guess).

My question is whether or not it's advisable to remove that little bolt so you can adjust the spread angle and rotate/straighten out the bars.

I've gotten used to dirt bikes and dual sports with straighter one-piece bars and would like to have the same feel on a sportbike, so this would widen my options from just GS's, seca IIs and a few others. (Been on the ninjette and don't feel 100% confident to control possible emergency steering, which is kind of important to me right now as a newb).

Aftermarket clip-ons don't seem to have that extra bolt so this shouldn't be a problem, right? Solid info much appreciated.

Thx

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I'm not familiar with the bolt you refer to, but you may find that the fairings on many sportbikes restrict the range of adjustment you can get.

·
Registered
487 Posts
what squint said, ud probably hit the tank or nose if u do this, as long as its secure sure u can take it off n ride without it on. but if i were u just get proper risers. proper clip ons

·
damn broken leg!!!!!!!
1,610 Posts
I take them out of every race bike. You can then adjust the bars where you like and they usually don't get damaged in a fall then. They just slip on the fork. Check the clearance at full lock in both direction. Make sure you have room for your fingers at the tank and the levers don't hit the fairing at the front.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts